E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Does this coolant leak look familiar to anyone?

12-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Does this coolant leak look familiar to anyone?

I'm planning on taking my car to a BMW dealer this week to get this leak diagnosed but thought it might not hurt to ask the BMW brain trust here if this leak looks familiar to anyone. A few important facts. 2008 E90 335i Automatic

1. My Water Pump was replaced less than a year ago by the dealer that sold me the car. Not sure if the thermostat was done at that time.

2. My car has a leak that only happens when the car is driven. When parked, it won't leak a drop.

3. I fill the tank to the top and that lasts about 150 miles (3 days of city miles for me) before I get the coolant light again.

4. I haven't noticed any overheating at all. I supposed cuz I keep filling the tank. Man, I'm glad there's a light. Some things about BMW I love.

5. My coolant reservoir looks pretty dry on the outside. I don't see any signs of coolant seeping out from the hose underneath.

6. The leak is on the passenger side. I think. That droplet toward the top of the video is about underneath the oil filter.

I doubt anyone could tell where this is coming from because I understand that fluids can travel pretty far. But I thought it was worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, the BMW dealer just called and said that it is the water pump. So now I gotta go back to the guys (Firestone on behalf of dealer) who installed it in January. I assume they would have some kind of warranty.

BTW, the BMW dealer quoted me $1,700 if they replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
sankohuy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10
Well, the BMW dealer just called and said that it is the water pump. So now I gotta go back to the guys (Firestone on behalf of dealer) who installed it in January. I assume they would have some kind of warranty.

You can order the pump and thermostat online and have an Indy shop install for you, if you can't get it fix under warranty. You'll save at least $700 from that dealer's quote.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankohuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10

You can order the pump and thermostat online and have an Indy shop install for you, if you can't get it fix under warranty. You'll save at least $700 from that dealer's quote.
Thanks. That's what I ended up doing. I purchased my parts online and am taking it to a mechanic. With parts and labor it's going to cost me about $900.

I figured this was a good time to replace the upper and lower radiator hose and the thermostat/hose while I was buying parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm, so I got my water pump replaced and I took a look at my 11 month old pump that came out. It was one of the infamous Continental pumps! I hope my new Gates pump lasts a lot longer.
Appreciate 0