E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > should I get these repairs from dealer

03-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
ssswu
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

should I get these repairs from dealer

I have a 2008 328xi. It was a little bit shaky last Saturday morning when I started the car. My wife think it's unsafe to drive so she made me to send the car to dealer to fix it and do a normal maintenance. The dealer told me it might be a misfire, but they have to do a full check to figure out.

Today, the report came out. On top of the misfire issue (charges $500+, but didn't mention it's the spark or the coil pack or something else), they also mentioned three other things to fix:
1. After resetting CBS for oil change.. oil service shows due in 25,000 miles.. this is an error in the software. Recommend performed complete vehicle software update to correct this issue
2. Found drive belt tensioner to be failing.. recommend replacing drive belt tensioner and belt
3. Found there to be engine oil leaking from the valve cover gaskets. Recommend replacing all 3 gaskets for valve cover.

I know it's not a new car, and those repairs should be taken care of. But should I get them from the dealer? It's kinda pricy... Your opinions are much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssswu View Post
I have a 2008 328xi. It was a little bit shaky last Saturday morning when I started the car. My wife think it's unsafe to drive so she made me to send the car to dealer to fix it and do a normal maintenance. The dealer told me it might be a misfire, but they have to do a full check to figure out.

Today, the report came out. On top of the misfire issue (charges $500+, but didn't mention it's the spark or the coil pack or something else), they also mentioned three other things to fix:
1. After resetting CBS for oil change.. oil service shows due in 25,000 miles.. this is an error in the software. Recommend performed complete vehicle software update to correct this issue
2. Found drive belt tensioner to be failing.. recommend replacing drive belt tensioner and belt
3. Found there to be engine oil leaking from the valve cover gaskets. Recommend replacing all 3 gaskets for valve cover.

I know it's not a new car, and those repairs should be taken care of. But should I get them from the dealer? It's kinda pricy... Your opinions are much appreciated!
There is nothing magical about the dealer techs. What needs to be done sounds fairly basic to me. If you know of a auto mechanic that you trust go there. If you want a trusted BMW shop http://www.germanperformanceservice.com/ is amazing and top quality work. Although at 105hr rate not sure how much cheaper they are then BMW but I would still rather go here then a dealer for sure.

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
ssswu
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road View Post
There is nothing magical about the dealer techs. What needs to be done sounds fairly basic to me. If you know of a auto mechanic that you trust go there. If you want a trusted BMW shop http://www.germanperformanceservice.com/ is amazing and top quality work. Although at 105hr rate not sure how much cheaper they are then BMW but I would still rather go here then a dealer for sure.
Thank you, I will check it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
Larin Automotive in Norwood is really top notch. They guys race M3's and have done some very extensive work on our cars. They can easily take care of this for you and the price is sure to be better than the dealer
      03-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Boston Motor Werks in Belmont is a good non-dealer option. Now that I'm out of warranty, they do all my servicing.

Owner is a former tech from Herb Chambers. He's got all the tech the dealer has, and his pricing is fair. If you're worried they're making up work, take it to him for an honest opinion.
Appreciate 0