E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Change to winter tires for my 06 330i

11-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6spd

Change to winter tires for my 06 330i

Hi All,

Today, I took my 06 BMW 330i (Manual Trans) to Mavis Discount Tires near me to change to winter tires. I had 4 Bridgestone Blizzak - 225/40R18 winter tyres. (Currently the car is running Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat 225/40R18 in the front and Bridgeston Potenza Run Flat 255/35R18 in the rear.)

The technician said that he cannot install the 2 blizzaks(225/40R18) on the rear as it wont fit properly and replaced only the front two with the blizzaks. (He tried to sell me 255/35R18 which I denied.) Now it is running blizzaks on the front and potenza (non winter) in the rear.

Is it ok to drive like this(2 winter tyres in the front and 2 non winter in the rear) through winter? (I live in Albany, NY where we get considerable amount of snow during Dec end to Mar end) Or should i buy 2 blizzaks of size 255/35R18 and install them?

Also he did an alignment (120$) after replacing the front two tyres without getting a consent from me. Is an alignment required after changing tyres.?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgwuyn View Post
Hi All,

Today, I took my 06 BMW 330i (Manual Trans) to Mavis Discount Tires near me to change to winter tires. I had 4 Bridgestone Blizzak - 225/40R18 winter tyres. (Currently the car is running Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat 225/40R18 in the front and Bridgeston Potenza Run Flat 255/35R18 in the rear.)

The technician said that he cannot install the 2 blizzaks(225/40R18) on the rear as it wont fit properly and replaced only the front two with the blizzaks. (He tried to sell me 255/35R18 which I denied.) Now it is running blizzaks on the front and potenza (non winter) in the rear.

Is it ok to drive like this(2 winter tyres in the front and 2 non winter in the rear) through winter? (I live in Albany, NY where we get considerable amount of snow during Dec end to Mar end) Or should i buy 2 blizzaks of size 255/35R18 and install them?

Also he did an alignment (120$) after replacing the front two tyres without getting a consent from me. Is an alignment required after changing tyres.?
Assuming you are running a stock staggered set up (18x8, 18x8.5), 225/40 tires will fit 8.5" wheels without an issue. In fact, 225/40 Blizzak WS80s fit 7.5-9" wheels based on their specs.

Running winter tires in the front only is the most dangerous way and can result in excessive oversteer.

An alignment is absolutely unnecessary when changing tires.

Good luck resolving this. Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Find a Discount tires near you and take it there. I run my summer square tires on staggered 189's. Discount tires did not have an issue selling me the set and installing them.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

^^^Ditto what freedomfries said. Grippy winter tires up front and a/s tires in the rear sounds like a great way to find yourself headed into a ditch backward when it snows in addition to being potentially unpredictable in better conditions. I can't believe they even sent you out the door like that.

As for alignments, I normally get one when I mount a new set of tires (usually my summer tires) just to ensure nothing's out of spec that will result in accelerated wear, but definitely not every time I swap between summers and winters.

Btw, if you're swapping tires back and forth seasonally on the same set of rims, which is what it sounds like, I'd definitely recommend considering a set of separate winter wheels that you can permanently mount the Blizzaks on and leave your summer/all-season tires mounted on the other set. This gives you the option of swapping wheels yourself (for free) if you're so inclined, or at the least it saves wear and tear on your tires and rims and makes the seasonal tire changes quicker and cheaper. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

255/35R18 is the proper size for the rear so I'm not sure why you denied it. Although I think 225/40R18 would fit just fine on the rears too.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Assuming you have the sport package Style 162 rims, the set is staggered / wider in the rear, and the ideal tire size would accommodate that. Did you buy 225 tires all around thinking you would mount them on 8" wide front and 8.5" rear wide wheels, or are we missing some info (i.e. wheels are not original to the vehicle or vehicle is not equipped with sport package)?

Sounds like a mess. This is why I have a separate set of Blizzaks mounted on 17" rims for the winter.
      11-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post
Find a Discount tires near you and take it there. I run my summer square tires on staggered 189's. Discount tires did not have an issue selling me the set and installing them.
I agree-the sales/service at Discount Tire has always been a great experience. I've tried two local locations, and both were top notch.

Hopefully you can get the situation sorted out quickly, as others have said it's dangerous to drive on mixed tire types. Let us know the outcome for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
What a joke, our tire shops up here in Canada aren't even allowed to install only two winter tires by law due to safety concers. All 4 or nothing. Lots of people try and pull that move on FWD compacts.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
I agree-the sales/service at Discount Tire has always been a great experience. I've tried two local locations, and both were top notch.

Hopefully you can get the situation sorted out quickly, as others have said it's dangerous to drive on mixed tire types. Let us know the outcome for sure.
Thanks.After all the discussions here, I've decided to buy 2 255/35 R18 tires and will put on the rear. Unfortunately there are no discount tire shops near my area . So what are my options? Can I order them online either from Discount tire direct or tirerack and go to a nearby tireshop to install? Or get it from BJ's ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
Assuming you have the sport package Style 162 rims, the set is staggered / wider in the rear, and the ideal tire size would accommodate that. Did you buy 225 tires all around thinking you would mount them on 8" wide front and 8.5" rear wide wheels, or are we missing some info (i.e. wheels are not original to the vehicle or vehicle is not equipped with sport package)?

Sounds like a mess. This is why I have a separate set of Blizzaks mounted on 17" rims for the winter.
Yes, I bought the 225 tires thinking it would fit on all 4. The vehicle is equipped with sport package. Also if I plan to buy 4 rims to mount these winter tires of different sizes, what is the exact brand name and size I should go for?Will the size of the rims remain the same give the tire dimensions are different? And what is the recommended place to buy them?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Quote:
Yes, I bought the 225 tires thinking it would fit on all 4. The vehicle is equipped with sport package. Also if I plan to buy 4 rims to mount these winter tires of different sizes, what is the exact brand name and size I should go for?Will the size of the rims remain the same give the tire dimensions are different? And what is the recommended place to buy them?
Go to Tire Rack and find out who their partner shops in your area are. Then call around who will put on your 225's on your 8.5 wide rims.

Like somebody else said the Blizzak WS-80 225/40R18 can be installed on rim width of 7.5"-9"

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=24HR8WS80XL

You just have to find a tire shop that will do it and if not find a different shop.

I'm running four 235/40R18 tires on my staggered 189 style wheels. I just have to make sure that the two 8" rims and two 8.5" rims are on the same axle. I even rotate them front to rear every 5K miles.

Last edited by slupie; 12-01-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.After all the discussions here, I've decided to buy 2 255/35 R18 tires and will put on the rear. Unfortunately there are no discount tire shops near my area . So what are my options? Can I order them online either from Discount tire direct or tirerack and go to a nearby tireshop to install? Or get it from BJ's ?
You can buy from either website (DiscountTire or TireRack), but I've only had experience purchasing tires online from TireRack. Lately though, DiscountTire has been a better buy (not by much though), so that's been my first choice.

When buying them online, TireRack will ship the tires to your choice of a local installer. Super easy and fast.

Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
jhah135
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Buy my tire/wheel set!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
bennye90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Some tire shops will not a setup square tires on a staggered wheel set. I had no real explanation why but I believe it is so they don't have liability of setting up your wheel set that way or they are just trying to up sale you to get the proper staggered tires in the rear.. which is more money for them.

Either way, run a winter set on smaller wheel. 16/17 and save yourself the money unmounts and mounting tires every season. Plus, smaller wheel in the winter will give you better traction cutting through the snow and slush.

Goodluck! Sounds like they are trying to take money out of you by doing the alignment. For all you know they could have done no alignment at all if they did not give you a before/after alignment spec sheet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

If you do get a separate set of wheels for winter, you might just want to run a square setup using the front width all the way around. Wider isn't better when it comes to cutting through the snow. Sounds like you already have the correct tires for it anyway. That being said, if exchanging the tires you have is an option, 17's would probably work a little better for winter use, being a little narrower still, and having a bit more sidewall to absorb impacts.

Aftermarket wheels can be purchased fairly affordably new from places like TireRack or local wheel and tire retailers. I don't have any specific ones I can recommend. I had tried a 17" set of Rial Solernos when I bought my previous e90. They were low-pressure cast (instead of gravity cast) so I thought they'd work well, but I ended up retiring them after bending three of them by the end of the second season, and ruining as many tires.

Another option is to go the used route and consider OEM BMW wheels which I would think/hope are better quality than the lower-end aftermarket ones typically used for winter duty. That's what I ended up doing, and my current (smaller) 16" setup has worked well for me. Just note that with used rims (OEM or aftermarket), there's always a chance they may have taken a hit and be bent, and you probably won't be able to tell for sure until someone mounts them on a balancer and gives them a spin so check for wobbles. In a lot of cases they can be repaired, but that's more money and they probably still won't be quite perfect afterword.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #16
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered the two bridgestone blizzak tires (255/35/R18) online and waiting to receive it. Is the bridgestone blizzak a Run Flat tire? Sorry for my ignorance but the reason I am asking is because this winter tire is going to replace the all season Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat tire .

Also post installation, what is the tire pressure I need to maintain for the front (225/40/R18) and rear blizzak (255/35/R18)?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #17
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the two bridgestone blizzak tires (255/35/R18) online and waiting to receive it. Is the bridgestone blizzak a Run Flat tire? Sorry for my ignorance but the reason I am asking is because this winter tire is going to replace the all season Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat tire .

Also post installation, what is the tire pressure I need to maintain for the front (225/40/R18) and rear blizzak (255/35/R18)?
There are at least two different models(?) of Blizzak tires:

1) LM-60 = RFT or non-RFT (of which I have a set)
2) WS-80 = non-RFT only (I'm almost 100% sure)

As long as you ordered the same model for all 4 tires, then you should be good to go.

With cold seasonal temps, I've personally had the best results at factory recommended tire pressures of 32psi(front) & 36psi(rear).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

16" wheels do not fit on a 330i FYI.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can buy from either website (DiscountTire or TireRack), but I've only had experience purchasing tires online from TireRack. Lately though, DiscountTire has been a better buy (not by much though), so that's been my first choice.

When buying them online, TireRack will ship the tires to your choice of a local installer. Super easy and fast.

Let us know how it goes.
I finally ordered the two Bridgestone blizzak WS80 (255/35/R18) from firestone site and installed it there. They messed up with the balancing totally and I was able to feel my steering wheel shaking at around 40 mph and more. Took it back to them and still the same problem. Planning to take it to the dealer today. But one thing I observed post installation is that the steering wheel became too heavy and is not light as before. Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #20
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Let us know how it goes.
I finally ordered the two Bridgestone blizzak WS80 (255/35/R18) from firestone site and installed it there. They messed up with the balancing totally and I was able to feel my steering wheel shaking at around 40 mph and more. Took it back to them and still the same problem. Planning to take it to the dealer today. But one thing I observed post installation is that the steering wheel became too heavy and is not light as before. Is that normal?
I would say the heavier steering sensation is 'normal'; I felt the same steering characteristics you have when I mounted my Blizzaks.

The softer sidewall seemed to yield softer handling & delayed [aka 'heavier'] steering inputs, when compared to a set of summer (or even all season like my Michelin AS3+) tires.

The unbalanced point though, isn't normal. Hopefully the dealer can remount them & solve that issue.

The Blizzaks are great quality winter tires. Once that balance issue is solved (and become accustomed to the handling characteristics), you will like them.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:

Wait, what did you do with your two original 225/40/18 tires that the first shop refused to install? Why didn't you just keep them and have another shop install them?

Also - the skinnier the winter tire, the more effective. 255 is HUGE for a winter tire. You should have stayed with 225 all around.

Honestly, that's really shady what the first shop did. It's weird and unsafe to have to winter tires up front and non-winter tires in the rear. Your car will be all over the place and drive like crap.

I can't believe he refused to install a square setup for you.

I do this twice a year. In November, I mount+balance 4 square 225/45/17 winter tires, in April, I mount and balance 4 square 245/40/17 summer tires. If a shop gives me the slightest amount of shit for a simple mount and balance, I go elsewhere (had to do that to two shops this year). I stay away from Mr. Tire, BJs, NTB, and all those stores that are over priced and push you constantly to buy a whole new set from them. Find a good gas station, even better, one that has a road force balancer, and you're golden.

This year I'm buying new wheels for the summer rubber so I don't have to keep mounting and balancing twice/year.

You don't need to do an alignment in this scenario.

Last edited by catcher22; 01-03-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Wait, what did you do with your two original 225/40/18 tires that the first shop refused to install? Why didn't you just keep them and have another shop install them?

Also - the skinnier the winter tire, the more effective. 255 is HUGE for a winter tire. You should have stayed with 225 all around.

Honestly, that's really shady what the first shop did. It's weird and unsafe to have to winter tires up front and non-winter tires in the rear. Your car will be all over the place and drive like crap.

I can't believe he refused to install a square setup for you.

I do this twice a year. In November, I mount+balance 4 square 225/45/17 winter tires, in April, I mount and balance 4 square 245/40/17 summer tires. If a shop gives me the slightest amount of shit for a simple mount and balance, I go elsewhere (had to do that to two shops this year). I stay away from Mr. Tire, BJs, NTB, and all those stores that are over priced and push you constantly to buy a whole new set from them. Find a good gas station, even better, one that has a road force balancer, and you're golden.

This year I'm buying new wheels for the summer rubber so I don't have to keep mounting and balancing twice/year.

You don't need to do an alignment in this scenario.
The original tires are still with me. I should have waited but at that time I found in the driver side door panel that it is a factory specification to have bigger tires(255's) in the rear and the 225's in the front. So I went ahead and ordered it .
Appreciate 0