E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > How long does it take for a dealer to order a car?

12-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
How long does it take for a dealer to order a car?

I have been waiting 24 days since leaving my refundable deposit (I paid $1,000 and the check cleared my account) with the dealer and I haven't heard jack. I called a few times and was told that they would let me know when they have any information on the car.

Can anybody explain to me the process, I have read about dealer slots and the salesman mentioned this to me and I expressed my desire to get the dealer slot and get the car as soon as possible. But I didn't get a guarantee. If I don't have a VIN, does that mean my car hasn't been ordered yet and I can cancel without any problems?

When do dealers put their orders in? Once a month? I saw the sticky thread above about the steps in the production process, but as far as I know, I haven't even made it to step 150, so that is of little use to me.

Any help would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I have been waiting 24 days since leaving my refundable deposit (I paid $1,000 and the check cleared my account) with the dealer and I haven't heard jack. I called a few times and was told that they would let me know when they have any information on the car.
Can anybody explain to me the process, I have read about dealer slots and the salesman mentioned this to me and I expressed my desire to get the dealer slot and get the car as soon as possible. But I didn't get a guarantee. If I don't have a VIN, does that mean my car hasn't been ordered yet and I can cancel without any problems?
When do dealers put their orders in? Once a month? I saw the sticky thread above about the steps in the production process, but as far as I know, I haven't even made it to step 150, so that is of little use to me.
Any help would be welcome.
Is this a joke post? You made a deposit by check instead of using a CC so the charge could be disputed, if required? You've waited 24 days and don't even have a production number yet? Strongly recommend you immediately get a refund from your flaky dealer, then contact Will at Long Beach BMW: william.shaw@longbeachbmw.com

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I know dealers try to find and modify existing car builds to speed up the process. Or they could be talking to other dealers to find your car and do a dealer trade.

24 days does seem like a lot... Did your CA go on vacation or something? Call the sales manager and ask for an explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
AZ: No this is not a joke. I am patient and I have been on these forums for a while. I don't recall seeing a thread about how long it takes a dealer to order, so I had no clue how long it would take for a dealer to place an order. Everybody here talks about where their vehicle is in the production process, not how long it took for them to get the production number. I haven't been in a hurry, but now I read about the BMW closing down for the holidays so I don't think anybody can get me a production number until next year.

2kaccord: I ordered a 335d, I don't think there will be any sitting in inventory as they only started producing them in October, and I haven't heard of any making it to these shores yet.

This holiday production stoppage really hits hard. I would really doubt if any 335ds will make it to the US this year.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
I got my production number the day i ordered my car...

that said, i ordered a 328i and my CA said that they just got their 1st allocation of 335d's for production in the 1st week of january - so it's probably not that strange that you haven't gotten any info yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
I got my production number the day i ordered my car...

that said, i ordered a 328i and my CA said that they just got their 1st allocation of 335d's for production in the 1st week of january - so it's probably not that strange that you haven't gotten any info yet.
Cool, thx for the info, I knew that BMW released the fact that the 335d was going into production and was orderable, but I didn't know that each dealer gets an allocation for each model. That makes more sense, so it can take longer if you order a certain model.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
Bilka
Captain
Rep
Drives: M440 GC

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189889

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

On cars that are available to build,we can give a production number the same day or trade to get an earlier production week than we might have available.The diesels are just showing up in our allocation with the launch vehicles coming out Jan 17,so if you ordered a diesel,they should have a production number either now or shortly..if you have any problems,call Will Shaw !
Appreciate 0