E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Clippers Owner Donald Sterling's Racist Rant

Closed Thread

04-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #133
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Good day for the league as a whole. It's gonna take a while for this cloud to dissipate over the Clippers' organization but wish them the best going forward from a Suns lifer.
Ignorance like this cannot be tolerated in any sports whatsoever. The beautiful thing about sports is people of all races coming together as one mind chasing after the 'chip for competition's sake.

Good going to Silver, the league, Players' Union and all the other owners for supporting today's decisions.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #134
Clippers_FTW
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Clippers are poised for championship... im sure there will be some kind of bidding war.. he may make more than 1/2 a billion.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #135
Clippers_FTW
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
Good day for the league as a whole. It's gonna take a while for this cloud to dissipate over the Clippers' organization but wish them the best going forward from a Suns lifer.
Ignorance like this cannot be tolerated in any sports whatsoever. The beautiful thing about sports is people of all races coming together as one mind chasing after the 'chip for competition's sake.

Good going to Silver, the league, Players' Union and all the other owners for supporting today's decisions.
Pheonix suns owner is already on board to kick sterling out.. Me Likey..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #136
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Not gonna respond to obvious troll post.

Now then.... Commissioner Silver has sent a clear, powerful and necessary message to the league, media and country.
#welldone
      04-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #137
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Now then.... Commissioner Silver has sent a clear, powerful and necessary message to the league, media and country.
#welldone
He sent a powerful message to the country??

So if I say something bad he is going to make me sell my NBA team?

Damn.....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #138
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

#welldone
Whats the message??? As long as your black you can say racist crap and it will be excused but if your white your banned? If you want to attempt to promote equality at least pretend to care about equality for everyone and not just a select few because you end up looking like the tilapia of modern society.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #139
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
Whats the message??? As long as your black you can say racist crap and it will be excused but if your white your banned? If you want to attempt to promote equality at least pretend to care about equality for everyone and not just a select few because you end up looking like the tilapia of modern society.
I don't remember of any black owner/president of a major multi-million dollar business that is in the media constantly doing/saying racist crap in the past years.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #140
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
I don't remember of any black owner/president of a major multi-million dollar business that is in the media constantly doing/saying racist crap in the past years.
So you have to be an owner/president for it to matter? If any employee of any company would be caught saying stuff like that they would be fired. As an employee you represent your company. LJ represents the Knicks and the NBA when he ran his mouth in public no less.

A good point you mentioned was this was hardly the first time LA owner showed his true feelings. So why is it such big news that must be acted on this time? Where were all these calls for his death when his franchise wasn't worth a dime because they were losers? If equality is the real issue here then let it be shown this means for everyone regardless of color, bank account, job title.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #141
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look bro... I don't get all bent out of shape over eConversations or ePinions.
I certainly don't give 2 shits on what I may look like.
Unless it's from my family friends or business partners.
I agree with the outcome, you don't. It's all good. Don't get too emotional over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #142
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So you have to be an owner/president for it to matter? If any employee of any company would be caught saying stuff like that they would be fired. As an employee you represent your company. LJ represents the Knicks and the NBA when he ran his mouth in public no less.

A good point you mentioned was this was hardly the first time LA owner showed his true feelings. So why is it such big news that must be acted on this time? Where were all these calls for his death when his franchise wasn't worth a dime because they were losers? If equality is the real issue here then let it be shown this means for everyone regardless of color, bank account, job title.
This is relevant because he's been an owner of a franchise for over 3 plus decades and has almost absolute authority within his team to affect the economics of anyone working for him. This isn't just some workaday employee with little to no say in the company. I said owner/president to point out that people in upper management are the public face(s) of their company and have to act accordingly in this day and age of electronic recordings, email, e-tracking ,etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #143
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
He sent a powerful message to the country??

So if I say something bad he is going to make me sell my NBA team?

Damn.....
Let me ask you.

What do you think would happen if the owner of a NASCAR team said the same thing?

It's called "conduct detrimental to the sport."

And what do you think the sponsors of any activity would do if the leader of that activity said the same thing?

Bottom line. The commissioner's decision is neither surprising nor harsher than it would have been in other sectors. Even ones whose participants and spectators are mainly white.

You could say the hoopla over the decision is overstated, but not that the decision was strange.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 04-29-2014 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #144
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Great response by Silver.

I'm curious though, how does the "forced sale" of private proper actually...work?

What if Sterling exclusively gets offers that he feels undervalue the team? I feel like ethically it should be his right to perennially stall the sale of the team if he doesn't like any of the offers. He wants $1.2 billion. He gets offers of $650 million, $700 million, $800 million...he doesn't like any of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #145
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Great response by Silver.

I'm curious though, how does the "forced sale" of private proper actually...work?

What if Sterling exclusively gets offers that he feels undervalue the team? I feel like ethically it should be his right to perennially stall the sale of the team if he doesn't like any of the offers. He wants $1.2 billion. He gets offers of $650 million, $700 million, $800 million...he doesn't like any of them.
As one might imagine in a Multi-Billion Dollar Business such as the NBA, there are "clear and concise bylaws and verbiage" in place to protect the integrity of the league, it's players, it's ability to function and generate revenue through sponsorship among others. Here is some helpful info I found:

If the evidence is determined as genuine, (which it has) Silver can issue a lifetime suspension and a fine:

Quote:
Under the provisions of the bylaws, Silver has two sets of powers that he may use. Under either, he can issue a lifetime suspension and a substantial fine. Under Paragraph 24(l) of the constitution that was adopted by the NBA owners on Oct. 26, 2005, he can issue a fine of up to $2.5 million, can suspend an owner indefinitely and can order the forfeiture of draft picks. This provision applies to situations that are not covered by specific rules within the constitution. In another provision, Paragraph 35(A)(c), Silver can issue an indefinite suspension and a fine of $1 million to any owner who "makes ... a statement having or designed to have an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball." If Silver wants to hammer Sterling, he can assert that Sterling's statements are so egregious that they go beyond the misconduct contemplated in Paragraph 35 and allow Silver to assess the greater penalties found in Paragraph 24. Sterling can argue that he merely made a statement, but the statement at a minimum allows a lifetime suspension and a $1 million fine.

The NBA has the ability to terminate Sterling's ownership of the Clippers if 3/4 of the 30 NBA owners vote to do so. Which is already in place.

However, the provisions for termination are outlined for offenses such as fraud, gambling, and financial failure -- there are no options for termination based on racial statements. They could possibly stretch the constitution's language and argue that Sterling failed to fulfill a contractual obligation in such a way that affected the NBA adversely:

Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, the owners can terminate another owner's franchise with a vote of three-fourths of the NBA Board of Governors, which is composed of all 30 owners. The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

Any owner or Silver can initiate the termination procedure with a written charge describing the violation. Sterling would have five days to respond to the charge with a written answer. The commissioner would then schedule a special meeting of the NBA Board of Governors within 10 days. Both sides would have a chance to present their evidence, and then the board would vote. If three-fourths of the board members vote to terminate, then Sterling would face termination of his ownership. It would require a vote of two-thirds of the board to reduce the termination to a fine. Terminating a franchise would obviously be a drastic remedy, but the potential of the termination procedure gives Silver and the other owners vast leverage in any discussion with Sterling about an involuntary sale of his team.

Sterling could attempt to take the NBA to court, but in Munson's opinion, could not argue against Silver's decision effectively:

When Silver issues his punishment to Sterling, the decision is final. The constitution provides in Paragraph 24(m) that a commissioner's decision shall be "final, binding, and conclusive" and shall be as final as an award of arbitration. It is almost impossible to find a judge in the United States judicial system who would set aside an award of arbitration. Sterling can file a lawsuit, but he would face a humiliating defeat early in the process. There is no antitrust theory or principle that would help him against Silver and the NBA. He could claim an antitrust violation, for example, if he were trying to move his team to a different market. But under the terms of the NBA constitution, he has no chance to succeed in litigation over punishment.
      04-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #146
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

silver handled it like a boss.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #147
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
So what you're saying is that the NBA players that he employs and pays millions of dollars to are his slaves or prostitutes? He has an 18 player roster which will be paid a combined $73,000,000 this season. They are the 6th highest paid team. The slavery/prostitution connection is ridiculous.
I think you just made that connection. I didn't. But don't forget also he is not doing them charity here. They are worth the money. Its a business. What I said is he views people like pimps view their prostitutes. Also My slavery comment had nothing to do with the players. I was responding to a poster who said he was confused that the guy is sleeping with an Asian or black girl... and I said that people who owned slaves slept with the slaves too, so I was separating racism from his sleeping with this girl. Again I think you perceived what I said wrongly. Doesn't really matter however, I was just trying to explain why there is nothing confusing about it. He rationalizes it, and that was my guess of how he rationalizes his actions because none of us really know. The guy is in his 80s, am not so shocked at his views, we all know in what times he grew up.
      04-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #148
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This is also the best the team has done in quite some time so that may actually bolster the value of the team. That was a Forbes figure so who the hell knows. The value of anything is determined by the maximum amount a party is willing to pay for it so the free market will ultimately determine the value.

It's kind of like a wealthy family making a massive donation to Yale so their C- child can attend. He's made hundreds of black people very wealthy and donated to the NAACP to help the community but all of that means nothing now that he was recorded *saying* horrible things in his kitchen to his girlfriend. People always say that actions speak louder than words but I think that is now completely outdated and this is a perfect example of it.
You are very funny. Because that wealth went one way? Could he have made the money he made with them without them? NO. Can the company you work for make money without employees? NO. So do you go around thinking how your company made you all this money? NO. My point is you probably contributed more to making the company money than it did to making you money. Or maybe not, but you get my point. It goes both ways, so please stop sounding like you want them to rally around him and sing praises to him.

He could have made the money by other means obviously, and they could also have played and many money from someone else. So please be honest and fair-minded, because I think you are judging the victim rather harshly and ignoring who has the real power in that whole equation. And that neither the gold digger girl ( I assume she is, but fact is we don't know, maybe its her own way of revenge for something we don't know ). The guy is the jerk he is because he is the one with the real power. I bet you his own family get their own brand of treatment and hint hint, he probably isn't lovely old dad.
      04-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #149
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Let me ask you.

What do you think would happen if the owner of a NASCAR team said the same thing?

It's called "conduct detrimental to the sport."

And what do you think the sponsors of any activity would do if the leader of that activity said the same thing?

Bottom line. The commissioner's decision is neither surprising nor harsher than it would have been in other sectors. Even ones whose participants and spectators are mainly white.

You could say the hoopla over the decision is overstated, but not that the decision was strange.
The NBA is an organization with rules that you have to adhere to.

However, I'm curious as to what would happen to a black play should he have said this about white people to his latino girlfriend. If he would be banned for life and fined i'm totally on board with the decision. But i don't think he would be. There have been plenty of players of major leagues who have said worse and done MUCH worse yet they continue to play.

IF these major leagues want to make a real difference they need to treat the players with the same harsh penalties as they would with owners. But these player's unions make it difficult for them to discipline the players the way they should be.

After all, is it the players little kids look up to or the owners?

I've got no problem with what ever the NBA does with one of their owners. I just wish they would hold their players to the same standard. Kids need to know when they are in 6th grade and idolizing players that misconduct will not be tolerated by players or owners.
      04-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #150
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As one might imagine in a Multi-Billion Dollar Business such as the NBA, there are "clear and concise bylaws and verbiage" in place to protect the integrity of the league, it's players, it's ability to function and generate revenue through sponsorship among others. Here is some helpful info I found:

If the evidence is determined as genuine, (which it has) Silver can issue a lifetime suspension and a fine:
Yeah I mean I understand that they can do it....

I'm just wondering what the details are on an "involuntary sale" if the owner doesn't like any offers. Is there just some deadline before which the owner is obliged to sell his team , lowball offers be damned?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #151
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

And as a private organization the NBA can do whatever it wants, so as long as Sterling entered into the contract knowing full well that his private property was at risk I have no problem with it.

I'm just curious about the details.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #152
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Snoop Dogg channels his inner Snoop Lion and goes on a racist rant on Sterling.

04-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #153
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm not going to say names, but somebody in here is not too happy with the verdict.

Hint: I'm happy with the verdict.
who? I'm a bit slow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Some pictures from the Mayor's address about the Sterling situation. They even got Kareem out today.
what happened to KJ?
kareem looks the same when he made the movie with bruce lee

Quote:
espn n especially shaq is pretty racist.. but aint't anybody going to do nothing about it cuz they're in the majority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The NBA is an organization with rules that you have to adhere to.

However, I'm curious as to what would happen to a black play should he have said this about white people to his latino girlfriend. If he would be banned for life and fined i'm totally on board with the decision. But i don't think he would be. There have been plenty of players of major leagues who have said worse and done MUCH worse yet they continue to play.

IF these major leagues want to make a real difference they need to treat the players with the same harsh penalties as they would with owners. But these player's unions make it difficult for them to discipline the players the way they should be.

After all, is it the players little kids look up to or the owners?

I've got no problem with what ever the NBA does with one of their owners. I just wish they would hold their players to the same standard. Kids need to know when they are in 6th grade and idolizing players that misconduct will not be tolerated by players or owners.
majority rules
US to be majority latino by 2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Snoop Dogg channels his inner Snoop Lion and goes on a racist rant on Sterling.
it takes a lot to get Snoop worked up
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #154
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
espn n especially shaq is pretty racist.. but aint't anybody going to do nothing about it cuz they're in the majority

majority rules
US to be majority latino by 2050
No. 2050 (or maybe as soon as 2043) is when non-hispanic Whites will no longer be a majority because they will be less than 50% of the total. They'll still be the largest single group, a plurality. Nobody will be a majority, maybe ever again.

Non-hispanic Whites will simply be less than the total of all the others, African-American, Latino, Asian, Native Americans, others. The latter groups are no more united in their politics than non-hispanic Whites.

America will still be America. A political party aimed at appealing to old White guys may have some difficulties, though. <smile>

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 04-30-2014 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread