E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Intercooler Mister

12-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
wildthingwood
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

DIY Intercooler Mister

This is my first DIY so bear with me. Also I know this isn't a huge power mod, but I never use my sprayers, it cost $10 and ads hardly any weight.

Not Really familiar with uploading pictures so they will just all be in a row I guess. Also I forgot some, will try my best to be descriptive.

Materials Needed: (purchased at Home Depot in irrigation aisle) You will have a bunch of extra parts, which is great because everyone in the neighborhood will want one of these bad boys!
- 1/4" id rubber hose
- 1/4" mister tips (make sure they are the ones pictured)
-1/4" bard connections
- 1/4" T barbed connectors
- Teflon tape or similar sealing material
- zip ties
- small (5/8) hose clamp

Tools Needed:
- Pick tool (for removing original hose off nipple)
- Long Straight device (hehe)
- small screwdriver
- 8mm socket and ratchet

1. Undo front of undercarriage cover and pull away from bumper so it hangs down.
2. Remove lower center grille. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=353504&page=2
3. Pop the hood and remove the washer spayer tube from the first nozzle.
4. Because the tubing is German the ID is 4.5mm and its a little big for the 1/4" barb, this is where I used a lot of Teflon tape and the tightening hose clamp.
5. Run your tubing through your Preffered route, I chose to tape the tubing to a pole I had and slide it next to the wastegate pressure tank (can't remember name) all the way to the bottom of the car.
6. Create your "end nozzle(s)" I attached pictures of mine but it only really works if the center supports in front of the intercooler are removed. (I am getting a 7" soon so this didn't bother me)
- with all the t barbs you have and extra hosing if you purchase an extra pair of misters 4 could easily be mounted to mist the entire IC
7. PUT THE LITTLE ARROWS ON THE MISTERS FACING TOWARD THE SPRAY PART OF THE CAP. This allows for best flow and spray radius, you will see what I mean.
8. I mounted mine with the little black piece in my hand but instead of a nail I used a small screw. I apologize this is where I forgot to snap a pic but I mounted it in the bottom center of the IC shroud with the adjusters facing down therefore pointing the nozzles upward, the video will help clarify this.
9. Once the nozzle is mounted securely start securing the tubing here and there with zipties and cut the excess out where it meets the original bmw hosing.
10. I advise to use zip ties and Teflon on all connections, there is more pressure than you think.
11. Do all testing before complete reassembly of undercarriage plastic and middle grille.

Feel free to ask questions or critique where necessary. As soon as I get my tune I'll consider getting out and doing some data logging. The mist and not spraying jets of water is important because too much water will insulate, learn to not soak the IC just dampen it. Same concept as misting fans in the summer. Expected gains of anywhere from 80-100 hp. But seriously, I was bored and this is what I do for fun. Thanks!

Last edited by wildthingwood; 12-08-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Well here's a video of it, can't quite get pictures to upload. I am using windshield washing fluid (just water in the video and for testing) because it will dissipate heat better and obviously not freeze. Once the grille is on you can't see it! The spot in the middle it isn't quite getting is about an inch wide, not too worried since it is probably the most exposed to air anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looks good you might want to put a one way valve so it's not dripping water all the time. If you want to get fancy you can wire a vacuum pressure switch ($5) switch and have it come on at any psi.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Yea one way is going in tomorrow, it's only the hose that's draining out but you have to "prime" to spray. Thought about the pressure switch but I'm not great at wiring so meh.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Esveesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

What exactly does this do for ur car?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Blow on your hand, now lick your hand and blow on it. Cooler with moisture on it right? Basically that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Technically, what's happening is the evaporation of liquid releases latent heat. The faster it evaporates, the faster it releases heat.

With this said, you will benefit more with lower relative humidity outside. The dryer the air, the faster it will evaporate.

Licking your hand is a great example lol! Your Spit isn't cool (it's going to be close to 98 degrees actually!). The moment you start blowing on it, it starts evaporating and you get the "wet bulb" temperature.

My question is: isn't there something that evaporates faster than water? For example: rubbing alcohol. Probably not a good idea to spray flammables in there tho! Hahaha

Edit: I just saw you said you were using washer fluid.

Last edited by jdamore; 12-12-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
wildthingwood
Private
Rep

Yep the light methanol mixture works great and will leave no residue.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Timothyelkins
Be Kind --- Newb BMW Owner
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is convertible

This works for your home AC as well
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
wildthingwood
Private
Rep