E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Coding for OEM Xenon AHL Pre-LCI to LCI Headlight Conversion

06-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Post DIY: Coding for OEM Xenon AHL Pre-LCI to LCI Headlight Conversion

I kept coming across comments suggesting there are numerous articles and DIY's available on converting from pre-LCI to LCI Xenon Adaptive headlights but I couldn't find any such useful technical information; specifically, coding procedures.

Hence the creation of this DIY: to provide detailed, step-by-step coding instructions for various scenarios encountered and personal preferences when converting from an existing pre-LCI Xenon AHL headlight system to an LCI version.

This conversion was performed on a 2008 335i Sports Package AT with Xenon AHL's and FRM2 module as standard equipment. If your vehicle is not similarly equipped it may require additional components and/or coding to complete the LCI Xenon AHL conversion. Also, used ALC modules were installed; brand new ALC modules may require initial "flashing" or programming of the VIN prior to coding, which I have never attempted.

If you are planning on upgrading your Angel Eye bulbs to LED, it's best to do this on the LCI headlights before installing them on your car; it's much easier than trying to properly index the LED bulbs into the sockets and then squeezing huge heat sinks into the cavity all in the tight confines of the engine compartment.

Be advised, the upper corner 3-LED marker lights will not be functional unless you provide a power source to pin 7 of the headlight harness connectors. Many people disable these LEDs anyways by coding them off, so if you are one of those that dislike having them on when your headlights are on, rejoice as no further coding is required.

Parts Required

Set of LCI Xenon AHL Headlight Assemblies
  • 1x PN 63117240261, AHL-Xenon Headlight, Left
  • 1x PN 63117240262, AHL-Xenon Headlight, Right
  • 1x PN 63127245815, Turn Signal LED, Left
  • 1x PN 63127245816, Turn Signal LED, Right
  • 2x PN 63117318327, Control Unit Xenon Light (ballast)
  • 2x PN 63117182396, Control Unit, Cornering Light with Cover (ALC module)
  • 2x PN 63217217509, Bulb Xenon Light With Ignition Element (D1S bulb)
  • 2x PN 07119906503, Bulb, H8 (Angel Eye bulb)
  • 2x PN 63217160779, Bulb, H3 (DRL bulb)
  • 5x PN 63122754796, Screw Set, (T20 Torx for modules, 4-pack)

Tools Required
  • Laptop with Windows XP/7/8
  • NCS Expert
  • INPA/EDIABAS compatible K+DCAN USB cable

You should already have the necessary software, hardware, and at least a basic working knowledge of coding the E9x platform. I'm using a 64-bit compatible INPA/NCS Expert software package on Windows 7 x64, however, I will not provide the software nor links to same so please do not ask. There are sufficient sources and information available on this forum and elsewhere, which are all subject to constant change and thus beyond the manageability of this DIY to keep links and references to external content current.

Headlight Removal and Replacement Procedures

Step 1: Follow the attached "HL_INSTALL_B3_E90" PDF for physical headlight replacement (credit goes to SpeedsterSource.com for that DIY), with the following suggestions:
  • For lowered suspensions and/or larger aftermarket wheels, it may be necessary to raise the frame and remove the wheels in order to gain access to the fender liners.
  • Tape all headlights before removing and reinstalling the front bumper cover to prevent inadvertent scratching of the lenses.
  • Do a light test before reattaching the bumper cover; it's much easier to reseat/replace bulbs and connectors while the body parts are off.
Step 2: Perform a function test of all bulbs and adaptive movements in a darkened location or at night. Switch the headlights to the AUTO (left-most) position and start the engine; a brief headlight movement test should automatically cycle. Position the vehicle in front of a wall or a dark road that has high contrast against the light beam. Place the vehicle in DRIVE (brake pedal depressed if stationary of course) and turn the steering wheel in both directions while observing headlight azimuth changes. This is to determine if coding is necessary for the ALC modules if they are not turning in the same direction as the steering wheel; this usually happens if used ALC modules were purchased separately from the headlight housings and they came from the opposite headlight.

Step 3: Place the vehicle in park and shut down the engine while leaving the vehicle power on (unless you are not yet prepared for coding).

Initial Coding Procedures

For consistency, the descriptions of module settings are from NCS Dummy when applicable. The firmware versions of my vehicle were as follows: NFRM = FRM2_E89.C09, LSMC = SMCDS_LI.CO7, and RSMC = SMCDS_RE.C07. Thus, the settings described may or may not be applicable or different for your vehicle depending on its production date, Vehicle Order (VO), and firmware versions.

Step 1: Attach the DCAN cable to the ODB port of the vehicle and USB port of the laptop. A status LED (if incorporated) on the adapter body should light up confirming connectivity to the vehicle.

Step 2: Launch NCS Expert Tool.

Step 3: Follow the attached "Coding the Front Turn Signal Lights" to disable the bulb checks for the front signal lights. You can use the included "NCS Dummy profile" if you don't have the "Expertmode" profile.

Summary of basic settings manipulated (for experienced NCS Expert coders):
  • NFRM-Cold Monitoring of Front Turn Signals: KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_V = nicht_activ
  • NFRM-Hot Monitoring of Front Turn Signals: WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_V = nicht_activ

Additional Coding Procedures

Resetting and Coding a Used ALC Module to Correct Directional Aiming
If one or both of your used ALC modules are turning their headlights opposite of the steering direction, then follow the attached "Resetting and Coding ALC Modules". The profile "Expertenmodus (Werkseinstellung)" is included for performing the reset steps, while the "NCS Dummy profile" is used for the coding steps.

Summary of basic settings manipulated:
  • Reset LSMC and/or RSMC ECU's using "Expertenmodus (Werkseinstellung)" profile and "SG_CODIEREN" job.
  • LSMC-Operation Direction for Left Headlight (AHL): KL_POSIT_RECHTS_LI = wert_02
  • RSMC-Operation Direction for Right Headlight (AHL): KL_POSIT_RECHTS_RE = wert_02
Where wert_01 = Positive signal moves left; wert_02 = Positive signal moves right

Optional Coding
By now you should be comfortable reading, changing, and writing ECU modules. This list contains useful codings for optional features and basic management of the Adaptive Head-Light system.

Side Marker Lights
  • NFRM-USA Side Marker Lights: SIDEMARKER_US_NFRM = nicht_activ (front amber lights not active when headlights on). EFFECTIVE on target vehicle, but may not work on others.
  • NFRM-USA Side Marker Lights: SIDEMARKER_US = nicht_activ (front amber lights not active when headlights on). NO EFFECT on target vehicle but may work on others.
  • NFRM-USA Side Marker Lights: SIDEMARKER_US_MIT_FRA_V = nicht_activ (front amber lights not active when headlights on). NO EFFECT on target vehicle but may work on others.
  • NFRM-3-LED Marker Lights Enabled: SL_V_PO_RL_FKT = nicht_activ (disable 3-LED lights when headlights are on). NO EFFECT if pin 7 of headlight harness connector is not wired to FRM.

Angel Eyes as Daytime Running Lights:
  • NFRM-Car/Key Memory 1 for Daytime Running Lights (Europe): TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_1 = aktiv
  • NFRM-Daytime Running Lights: VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL = drl_s (USA Daytime Running Lights with Dedicated Lights)
  • NFRM-Daytime Running Lights with Side Marker Lights: DRL_TFL_MIT_SML = aktiv

Adaptative Headlight Settings:
  • NFRM-Adaptive Headlights (AHL) Cornering Lights Enabled: ALC_KLS_ENABLE = nicht_activ (disables ALC)
  • NFRM-Fail-Safe Mode on Stepper Motor Fault to Prevent Blinding Lights: CHECK_SMC_ERROR = nicht_activ (disables AHL error check)

The BMW E9x Code List v1 has also been provided for reference.

Good Luck and Happy Coding!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HL_INSTALL_B3_E90.pdf (1.58 MB, 6408 views)
File Type: pdf Coding the Front Turn Signal Lights.pdf (2.11 MB, 3962 views)
File Type: pdf Resetting and Coding ALC Modules.pdf (2.67 MB, 3347 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip NCS Dummy Profile.zip (702 Bytes, 794 views)
File Type: zip Expertmodus (Werkseinstellung).zip (761 Bytes, 766 views)
File Type: zip BMW_E9x_Code_List_v1edit.zip (120.6 KB, 1303 views)

Last edited by Augster; 07-05-2017 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: To replaced Image Host links
Appreciate 2
triax37130.00
Silnismo225.50
      09-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
BMPassion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M47N2, F32 430d

Hi. Very nice diy.
But...
H3 isn't drl bulb. That bulb (inside lights in headlight) works as cornering light.
I've done that retrofit from prelci halogen to lci xenon ahl.
Everything ok but can't get cornering lights work.
Does it works on your car?
I've got couple different questions if you don't mind.
Thanks for the diy.
My story:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...n-ahl-t132184/

Last edited by BMPassion; 09-19-2014 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: link
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Sure, ask your questions!

And H3's definitely the type for the DRLs because I changed those out for a pair of MTEC's, even though I programmed the halo rings to activate as DRLs. Funny thing about the programming, the DRL's now activate as the "flash" beam when pulling back on the turn signal stalk instead of the high beams; the high beams still activate when pushing on the turn signal stalk.
      09-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
I just noticed you're located in the UK, so nomenclature of various lights may differ from the US. Here, the Daytime Running Lights for the OEM LCI Xenon AHLs are the inboard headlamps that have louvred lenses.

Depending on BMW model, the "cornering light" could be the fog lights or the inboard headlamps.

Activation of the cornering lamps should be done through coding of the NFRM module, but of course, would require the steering angle sensors used by the AHL headlights; not sure if your car is equipped with that gear or if you retrofitted it as part of your halogen to LCI Xenon retrofit.
      09-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
BMPassion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M47N2, F32 430d

I retrofitted that wiring too.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ahl-i3gvx4.jpg

Cornering -i mean no2 on the drawing. Can you check what direction is for yours.
That's very interesting. ...
Edit:

My headlights identical as them:

Drl with ae's stronger than parking lights. You can see cornering lights too.
Everything works same but I don't have cornering.

Did you add +MUEG to the VO?

Last edited by BMPassion; 09-20-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafeltom View Post
I retrofitted that wiring too.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ahl-i3gvx4.jpg

Cornering -i mean no2 on the drawing. Can you check what direction is for yours.
The E90's don't have an actual turning reflector either in the inboard headlamp or the fog lights like the newer F-series that aim the cornering light to the side, so the only thing the E90 "cornering lights" function do is turn-on on the side in the direction of the turn; the E90 AHL's aim the primary headlight (outboard headlamps) in the direction of travel when the light switch is set to "AUTO" and mine do work.

I personally did not enable cornering lights in my NFRM module as they don't really add any appreciable value being unable to swivel into the turn, and since this feature is not commonly used here in the US (I've never seen a late-model BMW have them enabled) it would look rather confusing with only one side coming on while turning (the turn signals already serve to indicate to others the intended turn direction).

Quote:
My headlights identical as them:
(Video Snipped)
Drl with ae's stronger than parking lights. You can see cornering lights too.
Everything works same but I don't have cornering.
Yes, I can see them coming on in the video along with the swiveling of the primary headlamp. I could do some testing with the NFRM coding to see if I can enable the cornering light on my US-spec car.

I've also installed the DTEC v9.5 for the AE bulbs and Osram D1S for the Xenons and both are fantastic; pretty much as bright (if not brighter) as in the video clip.

Quote:
Did you add +MUEG to the VO?
I'm not familiar with the "MUEG" option, but regardless, I didn't have to change my VO because I already had Xenon AHL's in my pre-LCI, so swapping in LCI AHL's was relatively painless (except for the higher cost, which was offset by selling my complete, pristine pre-LCI Xenons). Everything works as expected, except the top rear corner 3-LED light, which requires running a wire from the headlights to the FRM module (which I plan to do when I retrofit the newest NBT nav/iDrive system into my car).
      01-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Pilot1981
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive lci

Hi,
I have E91 LCI 2011 with bi-xenon ALC/AHL.

Anyone know what I have to code to disable check of H3 light in my inner headlight? this light turn on when I steering to right/left and outer headlight (Xenon light) turn in the same direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
8385HJ
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport Manual

Hi I've just bought an E92 which has had the LCI front and rear lights installed. I followed the guide but my angel eyes are just flickering in every setting then turning off. Ideally just need someone to tell me what needs to be done not do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
MrMCoding
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8385hj View Post
hi i've just bought an e92 which has had the lci front and rear lights installed. I followed the guide but my angel eyes are just flickering in every setting then turning off. Ideally just need someone to tell me what needs to be done not do it for me.
i have the exact same issue!

E92 frm1. Had my xenons upgraded to lci xenons.

Everything works fine when the engine is off. But when the engine is on the angel lights flicker constantly and the indicators flicker when pressed.

Did you find a solution!?

Neeed help

fyi i have already turned all cold and warm checks off. Even tried setting the angel lights to very bright ewtc... No luck

i have both carly and ncs
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Mischa335i
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
I didn't have to change my VO because I already had Xenon AHL's in my pre-LCI, so swapping in LCI AHL's was relatively painless (except for the higher cost, which was offset by selling my complete, pristine pre-LCI Xenons). Everything works as expected, except the top rear corner 3-LED light, which requires running a wire from the headlights to the FRM module (which I plan to do when I retrofit the newest NBT nav/iDrive system into my car).
Hi have you done only a 1:1 swap that's all?

I did the same and the AE's doesn't have the dimming fiction. They are always in the same low brightness
Maybe that's the low pwm voltage from the pre Lci coding ?

I don't know what's wrong

I am on frm2

Maybe I need to code something?

Hope someone can help
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa335i View Post

I did the same and the AE's doesn't have the dimming fiction. They are always in the same low brightness

I am on frm2

Hope someone can help
It’s been 6 years since I did this conversion, and I sold the E90 a year afterwards, so I don’t remember any of the details....

Hopefully someone else can chime in.
      04-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa335i View Post

I am on frm2

Hope someone can help
See if this helps: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980103
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
sleeeper335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm having the issue where my lights are turning the wrong direction. How does one correct this?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 01:38 AM   #14
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335i RWD 6MT ST E85

I know this post is really old but I kind of need help. I found a set of LCI Xenon lights for 1800SEK which is like 180$... Really cheap. I am most likely going to buy a E91 tomorrow, which is a build date somewhere around 08/08. As I understand this car should have a FRM2 module? Does this mean it's plug and play and only coding? The car I am buying has Pre-LCI Xenon Adaptive Head Lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Salmon View Post
I know this post is really old but I kind of need help. I found a set of LCI Xenon lights for 1800SEK which is like 180$... Really cheap. I am most likely going to buy a E91 tomorrow, which is a build date somewhere around 08/08. As I understand this car should have a FRM2 module? Does this mean it's plug and play and only coding? The car I am buying has Pre-LCI Xenon Adaptive Head Lights.
Did you end up buying the car and the headlights?

It should be plug and play. I went from pre-LCI halogen to LCI xenon. I used a FRM from a pre-LCI adaptive Xenon equipped car and programmed it as such (identical programming to a pre-LCI xenon car but without the adaptive function enabled), and it controls the LCI xenon headlights just fine.

You may need to code out bulb checks for the turn signals, though I'm not sure. I assumed because the LCI headlights use LED turn signals they may throw bulb errors. I just disabled the bulb checks and it's works great.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
Swedish Salmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335i RWD 6MT ST E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Did you end up buying the car and the headlights?

It should be plug and play. I went from pre-LCI halogen to LCI xenon. I used a FRM from a pre-LCI adaptive Xenon equipped car and programmed it as such (identical programming to a pre-LCI xenon car but without the adaptive function enabled), and it controls the LCI xenon headlights just fine.

You may need to code out bulb checks for the turn signals, though I'm not sure. I assumed because the LCI headlights use LED turn signals they may throw bulb errors. I just disabled the bulb checks and it's works great.
I have not pulled the trigger yet, he lives far off in the country so they would need to be shipped. Something about this feels "too good to be true".

Also I have no car since the car purchase went to hell. Travelled with plane etc to another country just to have the dipsh*t be a jerk.

Though! I found one in my country and he's willing to sell it somewhere around 6months time, maybe a little less. E91 335i with all the options wanted, -07 though with production date december 2006 so might not have FRM2?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #17
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Salmon View Post
-07 though with production date december 2006 so might not have FRM2?
That's fine, FRM/FRMFA/FRM1 can still control LCI Xenon lights without any issue, you'll still need to make some minor coding changes. I recently bought a 330i (pre-LCI) equipped with adaptive xenon lights and I easily swapped the LCI headlights over. I just coded out the bulb checks for the turn signals and ring lights since both were LED.

FRM2 allows you to use the ring lights as DRLs. On older FRM versions you're left with the inner pair of lights as DRLs, but in the US at least they're not mandatory so I turned them off.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 07:42 AM   #18
jayzus73
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91

E91 xenon to halogen

Good afternoon,
My wife has an E91/320D touring from 2009/10.
Both headlight lenses have been cracked or broken in the last few months, they are Xenon but came with the car so not sure which type they are.
She isnt fussed on xenon or halogen so i took the cheaper option and got a new set of halogen headlights.
Succesfully removed old ones and replaced with the new units, everything works except the high beams on both. I get high beam indicator on dash cluster when triggered but no high beam. No other error messages on car monitor or with INPA.
I am guessing i need to re code the ecu back to halogen settings but have not been able to find any info on such, only for upgrades!
I have PC laptop running windows 10, KDcan cable and the BMW tools downloaded already.
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:53 AM   #19
domkayombo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1981 View Post
Hi,
I have E91 LCI 2011 with bi-xenon ALC/AHL.

Anyone know what I have to code to disable check of H3 light in my inner headlight? this light turn on when I steering to right/left and outer headlight (Xenon light) turn in the same direction.
I have same issue with my e90 pre-LCI. I had the xenon headlight broken so I had to replace with new headlight (LCI's headlight without adaptive function), but the angel eyes of the new headlight work for few second then go off.
Can someone help me to solve this?
Appreciate 0