E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ARGGGHHH! BMWNA says defective bellhousing bolt not under CPO warranty

07-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
They have an obligation to you to explain where in the CPO agreement it says this broken bolt isn't covered. I would keep after them (in a calm and professional manner) until you get an answer that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #24
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Nothing to add except that I agree 100% to say that the bell housing bolt is not part of the drive-train is completely asinine. Maybe worst case you could file a civil suit against the dealership since they are "BMW representatives" ... I know in MI it only costs like $50 to file a civil suit and unless you're really timid this could be easily won by yourself I would think (no expensive lawyer needed..). Hell, you could probably even pay some ASE certified mechanic to be an expert witness and say ... uhhh yea... bell housing is directly IN the drive-line!!

/rant

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #25
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

First thing I'd do is call another (large) dealer service dept. and see if they agree, maybe someone here can recommend a more responsive one. I had to deal with the regional BMWNA rep in person with a warranty issue long ago before any positive action was taken. This involved a new set of pistons on an M3, total engine tear down. Had been getting the run around, he was there that day on another issue. Service guy said hey let's let him listen. We did, he said wow that is not normal, approved it immediately on the spot.

See if somehow you can get contact info for regional guy who makes CPO decisions for your area if they are still set up this way. Ordinary customer service is not going to be that. Get him to indicate in writing why or why not this is a CPO issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #26
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Definitely try a different dealer, as it's the easiest route and might just work. Some dealers are absolutely awful, and some will jump through hoops of fire too keep you as a customer, even if the car isn't from them.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #27
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
They have an obligation to you to explain where in the CPO agreement it says this broken bolt isn't covered. I would keep after them (in a calm and professional manner) until you get an answer that makes sense.
this is good advice
      07-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

The other thing about this that does not compute is, in order to fix it yourself you'd need to do something that would probably void the CPO. Ie take apart the drive train. So it just makes no sense.

I mean think about it. Say you had an engine problem, pulled the engine yourself, took it apart, then called BMWNA and said you had another engine problem. They'd laugh and tell you to FO. Similarly here you pull the tranny and driveshaft etc. to fix a bolt. Then what is going to keep them from denying you coverage on anything else tranny or drivetrain related? You or your agent immediately voided the whole CPO.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #29
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Sorry I meant smartass not jackass. Oh and I'm a tough guy in real life, too. Not just behind a keyboard. good luck with your gay fixation.
Yeah, most tough guys I know have to tell youtheir tough too. Have fun flexin' in the mirror bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Get a room you two.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
ChuckD05
NeedsMoarBoost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i / 06 e90 325xi

Garage List
go to a different dealer and try there
      07-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #32
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Get a room you two.
Nah, he'd probably think I'd like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #33
lconn
08 335I Sport,Premium,Auto,Blk/Blk,JB4,DCI,Alpina
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

BMWNA contacted me today, probably due to my harsh words with the "Customer Relations rep". He said he could help me with a warranty issue, then took 10 minutes to say he didn't know anything and could not connect me with anyone who did.

I put a call into the JACKIE COOPER IMPORTS service manager yesterday leaving voicemail, he has yet to return my call.

The rep that called today said he would call the dealer and get more info. He did mention they had denied several broken bolts previously. Doesnt matter, all that matters is the contract, end of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #34
lconn
United_States
Rep

BMWNA contacted me today, probably due to my harsh words with the "Customer Relations rep". He said he could help me with a warranty issue, then took 10 minutes to say he didn't know anything and could not connect me with anyone who did.

I put a call into the JACKIE COOPER IMPORTS service manager yesterday leaving voicemail, he has yet to return my call.

The rep that called today said he would call the dealer and get more info. He did mention they had denied several broken bolts previously. Doesnt matter, all that matters is the contract, end of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

couple things I feel I should mention....

1) Just because a part is part of the "powertrain", doesn't mean it is covered by the CPO warranty. CPO usually covers component replacement, but doesn't cover hoses, belts, bushings or (most likely) bolts. It also doesn't cover adjustments or things of that nature.

2) You mentioned the cats were replaced? Which bolt was broken, and can you post a picture of it? There are a few brackets that are secured to the transmission/bellhousing and may have been removed when the cats were replaced. I'm leaning towards this vs. an actual part failure.
      07-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
couple things I feel I should mention....

1) Just because a part is part of the "powertrain", doesn't mean it is covered by the CPO warranty. CPO usually covers component replacement, but doesn't cover hoses, belts, bushings or (most likely) bolts. It also doesn't cover adjustments or things of that nature.

2) You mentioned the cats were replaced? Which bolt was broken, and can you post a picture of it? There are a few brackets that are secured to the transmission/bellhousing and may have been removed when the cats were replaced. I'm leaning towards this vs. an actual part failure.
I see what you're trying to say but I disagree. How about cylinder head studs, or rod journal bolts? Head gaskets? These bolts are not wear items and if they fail they are defective.

Furthermore if enough fail you have catastrophic failure, not to mention fixing them yourself effectively voids the rest of CPO. AND even if it did not void fixing it is a very large expenditure unlike other wear items. Poor decision on BMWNA's part could have scored major goodwill pts here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
lconn
United_States
Rep

The bolt was broken long before it went to the dealer and had the cats replaced (since it took a few weeks to get an appointment w/ a loaner as I figured it'd be out awhile (2 weeks).

They did give me a nice loaner though. They had an almost new 535i that was loaded but beat to death by hail recently. Beats a 328 anyday.

The contract clearly specifies all items not covered including things like brakes and suspension wear components but no where are bolts mentioned.

They have put me in a damned if if do/don't. If Idon't fix the bolt, anything else in the driveline is my fault and not covered by warranty. If I fix it myself, same thing. Since they didn't bother to give me an estimate for the work, I'm guessing it is really expensive and involves dropping the tranny.

I have already filed a complaint with the BBB and will follow with the State AG if they come back with an asinine answer. Guess most people just go away.

Next closest dealer is 120mi, next after that is 180mi.

Last edited by lconn; 07-29-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0