E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > If you've been thinking about acting to combat global warning, here's an opportunity.

07-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #23
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
I hope you're not saying Paris "The Clap Trap" Hilton is hot, Squawks.
I referred to her because she excessively (and annoyingly) says "that's hot".
      07-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #24
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
I've already done extensive research.

Let me correct you on a few things:

1) You are wrongly assuming that pollution is the sole consequence of poor MPG standards and gas guzzling vehicles; namely because you preach about China's higher MPG standards and because you also praise hybrids/electric vehicles. Wrong. Do you know how much soot is in the air in China? It is among the worst in the world. Why? Not from cars. What is it?
I am not defending China. The US has the highest Greenhouse Emissions of any nation. I never made such accused assumption.
Quote:
2) Hybrids and electric cars pollute only a fraction of what traditional vehicles do ---- did you not catch the irony in my statement? WHERE do you get the batteries for your hybrids? WHERE are you getting the electricity for your electric plug-in cars? Do you know WHERE most of our electricity is produced? Or HOW? Yup, that's right, folks - GASOLINE. We burn to earn - so if you want to *feel* like you are contributing to 'saving' this world when you are just handing the dirty polluting job to someone else in some other place, feel free.
Hybrids and electric cars produce less greenhouse emissions including the creation and recycling of batteries. Electric cars are charged by the grid which is powered by coal, natural gas or petroleum. Including that usage electric cars burn less fuel and cause (indirectly) less emissions than the best hybrid.
Quote:
3) I been to Tijuana. I been to Riverside, CA. Both are equally bad but I have to admit that Tijuana is slightly worst. Coincidentally, Riverside has the worst air-soot in the country. Thus, Tijuana's air is worst than the U.S.A. If your lungs tell you otherwise, then I guess it's pointless to argue over it as Mexico obviously does not have any scientific data to back up their air quality (oh yeah, the Riverside, CA air quality was already measured and published as being the worst in the country. In fact, the article was published within last year).
I'm not talking about soot or air quality. I am talking about reducing greenhouse emissions to slow global warming to save coastal cities, polar bears, etc.
Quote:
You said it is indisputable that the U.S. is the greatest consumer of fuels - did you think I did not know that? In fact, I posted hours ago the fact that the U.S. is the world's greatest consumer of crude oil (26%) on a daily basis in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25506

Do you also know what I meant when I said that for every fuel-efficient car that a manufacturer sells, that same manufacturer is allowed to sell a guzzling car such as an M. Do you know how the auto industry works? Manufacturers must maintain a minimum 'mileage' rating of the cars they sell or else they will be handed steep penalty fines. For example, if the MPG rating set by the government is 25 MPG, if a manufacturer sells a hybrid capable of 40MPG then it can also sell a tank capable of 10MPG. This is fact. So for every gas-efficient 3-series sold by BMW, they're allowed to introduce more gas-guzzling and polluting M cars into the country.
Regardless, the market is driven by demand and demand for inefficient vehicle is waning.
Quote:
You think I don't care? Oh, I do - but you never asked what I care about. I care about the world, and any true Earth-sparing fanatic will actually realize that global warming is the least of our problems. In fact, research overpopulation - you'll find our impending overpopulation issues (which also link to pollution as overpopulation will lead to greater consumption) are so severe that global warming is a joke. If you think "space" is the problem of overpopulation, you've barely breached the tip of the iceberg.
I'm sorry I assumed you didn't care when you said "You can't do anything so don't bother. The world will perish anyways, just live life for now."

Peace!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #25
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I'm like that guy who makes a rhyme and then goes "OHHHHHH" by himself.
oops pow surprise!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #26
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
yea...my boogers are black in other countries

Quote:
The final irony is that no matter how hard we try, the USA doesn't even come close to being to worst polluters in the world. China, Russia, India, etc. stir up enormous amounts of pollution. If you've ever been to Mexico you can immediately tell the difference in air quality - emissions restrictions barely exist.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #27
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
global warming is full of crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 01:06 AM   #28
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol u dont believe it long?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #29
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it was hot for a week clearly that's rock solid evidence that global warming is real.

or maybe it's summertime, I don't know
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #30
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
lol u dont believe it long?
i was told this happen ever so often. its nature man. way back when earth was full of ice, we didnt have any cars or shit to pollute the earth. the ice just melted itself. or maybe the dinosaur farted that polluted the earth and had global warming that melted all the ice? when its time for earth to melt down, it will melt down.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #31
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I don't believe in global warming either...well, that it's caused by us anyway. I still think a solar panel roof would be pimp.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 11:24 AM   #32
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
http://www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/

WHAT IS GLOBAL WARMING?

Carbon dioxide and other gases warm the surface of the planet naturally by trapping solar heat in the atmosphere. This is a good thing because it keeps our planet habitable. However, by burning fossil fuels such as coal, gas and oil and clearing forests we have dramatically increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere and temperatures are rising.

The vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is real, it’s already happening and that it is the result of our activities and not a natural occurrence. The evidence is overwhelming and undeniable.

We’re already seeing changes. Glaciers are melting, plants and animals are being forced from their habitat, and the number of severe storms and droughts is increasing.

The number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled in the last 30 years.
Malaria has spread to higher altitudes in places like the Colombian Andes, 7,000 feet above sea level.
The flow of ice from glaciers in Greenland has more than doubled over the past decade.
At least 279 species of plants and animals are already responding to global warming, moving closer to the poles.

If the warming continues, we can expect catastrophic consequences.

Deaths from global warming will double in just 25 years -- to 300,000 people a year.
Global sea levels could rise by more than 20 feet with the loss of shelf ice in Greenland and
Antarctica, devastating coastal areas worldwide.
Heat waves will be more frequent and more intense.
Droughts and wildfires will occur more often.
The Arctic Ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050.
More than a million species worldwide could be driven to extinction by 2050.

There is no doubt we can solve this problem. In fact, we have a moral obligation to do so. Small changes to your daily routine can add up to big differences in helping to stop global warming. The time to come together to solve this problem is now – TAKE ACTION

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #33
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Why are you not concerned about soot in the air? You should be. In fact, soot in the air is responsible for more deaths than your proclaimed greenhouse emissions gases. In fact, most greenhouse emissions gases are not even pernicious to human health, let alone chronic, long-term exposure.

Actual soot in the air causes more death than the deaths of all the heatwaves caused by purported global warming gases.

The greatest soot polluters in the world come from Africa - not because they burn the most fuel but because they have the greatest dust deserts in the world. They blow up tons of airborne particles into the air each day.

I find it ludicrous how people complain so much about global warming when they really don't know much of a damn about it ESPECIALLY people who preach about global warming deaths. Now, please tell me, what is considered a global warming death? All deaths involved in hot places? All deaths due to tornadoes and hurricanes because global warming votaries happen to tag them as an attribute of impending global warming disasters?

The arctic ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050 - . Looks like you know your facts - if so, please, then, tell me the temperature change of the ocean using the first time the temperature of the ocean was measured to the latest measurement today. Tell me what you think of that change.

It's also funny you speak of scientists. I keep up with my stuff - Nature, Science. What do the scientists really elaborate deeply on? Sometimes global warming here and there, but what is their true concern? Nope, it's not global warming. What is it?
      07-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #34
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Why are you not concerned about soot in the air? You should be. In fact, soot in the air is responsible for more deaths than your proclaimed greenhouse emissions gases. In fact, most greenhouse emissions gases are not even pernicious to human health, let alone chronic, long-term exposure.

Actual soot in the air causes more death than the deaths of all the heatwaves caused by purported global warming gases.

The greatest soot polluters in the world come from Africa - not because they burn the most fuel but because they have the greatest dust deserts in the world. They blow up tons of airborne particles into the air each day.

I find it ludicrous how people complain so much about global warming when they really don't know much of a damn about it ESPECIALLY people who preach about global warming deaths. Now, please tell me, what is considered a global warming death? All deaths involved in hot places? All deaths due to tornadoes and hurricanes because global warming votaries happen to tag them as an attribute of impending global warming disasters?

The arctic ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050 - . Looks like you know your facts - if so, please, then, tell me the temperature change of the ocean using the first time the temperature of the ocean was measured to the latest measurement today. Tell me what you think of that change.

It's also funny you speak of scientists. I keep up with my stuff - Nature, Science. What do the scientists really elaborate deeply on? Sometimes global warming here and there, but what is their true concern? Nope, it's not global warming. What is it?
Again, I never said I wasn't concerned with soot.

I am immediately concerned with greenhouse emissions contributing to global warming. I am trying to do everything I can to help; and that includes spreading the word. Believe me, I know there are dissenters and I will never convince them.

Hopefully, by focusing on global warming, I can affect several other causes that I care about: pollution, deforestation, coastal recession, species extinction, and countless others.

I'm glad you care about soot and pollution. That's a good cause to fight for.

Appreciate 0