E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > When do leather seats need conditioner?

07-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

When do leather seats need conditioner?

Hey guys, ive been reading more and more on leather care, and it seems most leather conditioners are for older leather.

I used leather masters strong cleaner on my M5 leather (merino leather) and it came out great, clean and matte look.

Then I used leather masters vital, let it dry for 2-3 hours and then whipped off any excess, but it still left a small greasy feel and small shine. Looks better before the application of vital.

Now that I was reading into it more, seems that leather master vital is overkill for good condition leather.

And a good cleaning using pristine clean or leather master cleaner is enough?

Any advice on leather cleaning would be great, as im just starting to get educated on it.
      07-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

New or fairly new seats should not need Vital but it is not a conditioner per se.

This may help-TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

A couple times a year should do, although that's not really answering your question of "when." You should condition them whenever you also clean them.

Most leather conditioners also refresh the leather smell, so that may inspire you to want to do it a bit more often.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
A couple times a year should do.

Most leather conditioners also refresh the leather smell, so that may inspire you to want to do it a bit more often.
True, DO a thourogh clean 2x a year. That's good enough not matter how old your car is.

BB
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

I do mine every 3-4 months. Think of it as waxing a car. Wax protects and keeps the paint looking nice, leather cleaner and conditioner clean the leather and keep it soft and looking nice. I use zaino z-9 which is a leather cleaner and then z-10 which is a leather conditioner. The z-10 brings out a beautiful leather smell and leaves no greasy layering. Many people on this board use zaino products and love them.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Our leather seats have a coating put over them at the factory as do many modern brands. This means that the conditioner is not absorbed rather just sits of the surface and wears off fast. A leather sealer is a more appropriate option and should last a few months and off UV protection and keep stains from getting into the leather. Look into Leather Master Protection Cream. It's really good stuff.
      07-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

NEVER. Just clean them with cleaner on soap basis.

No OIL
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Our leather seats have a coating put over them at the factory as do many modern brands. This means that the conditioner is not absorbed rather just sits of the surface and wears off fast. A leather sealer is a more appropriate option and should last a few months and off UV protection and keep stains from getting into the leather. Look into Leather Master Protection Cream. It's really good stuff.
+1

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
NEVER. Just clean them with cleaner on soap basis.

No OIL
Yep I never use oil based cleaners. They eat away your leather, make your seat slippery etc

The oil sticks like a bitch on wheels.

Also remember, leather seats need sun from time to time.

BB
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

From reading more and more into leather cleaning, protected leather or not, the most important thing to do is clean the leather.
Conditioning seems to be neglected and older leather, if its coated or non coated.
      07-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

BTW, also a heads up, leather master has made there own brand for automotive leather, its called auto leather master.

http://www.unitersnorthamerica.com/c...-cleaners.html
      07-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

I typically condition my leather every 3 weeks or sooner if needed. and clean them every 5-6 weeks unless needed sooner.

I've tried several products and really like these brands
Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner
Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner

Pinnacle Leather & Vinyl Cleaner
Pinnacle Leather Conditioner

Either brand will do your leather good !
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 328i E90

In my professional opinion - Applying leather conditioner more than twice a year is an overkill unless you're dealing with a hard, dried leather. One of the best products out there to maintain new leather is Leatherique Prestine Clean. why? Because is a ph balanced leather cleaner that leaves behind a LIGHT conditioner. This product won't harm your leather, rubber or plastic surfaces.
Rule of thumb - If the vehicle being care for is a daily driver or a convertible you should do a deep leather conditioning treatment every six months. Otherwise have this service done once a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

Fipad, what would you recommend for the convertible seats that see a lot of sun and have a uv protector on them?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

You should not condition aniline coated leather. If you have Dakota, it's a coated leather and you only need to clean it, NOT condition it. The conditioner will just sit on top.

I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner and then finish by wiping down with water. Seats look matte and brand new.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ml3456 View Post
Fipad, what would you recommend for the convertible seats that see a lot of sun and have a uv protector on them?
Leatherique Prestine Clean its all you need..you can do a quick wipe down every time you wash the car.

Last edited by FI PETE; 07-15-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIPAD View Post
Leatherique Prestine Clean its all you need..you can do a quick wipe down every time you wash the car.
Agreed! Leatherique is some good stuff. Not cheap that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Hey guys, ive been reading more and more on leather care, and it seems most leather conditioners are for older leather.

I used leather masters strong cleaner on my M5 leather (merino leather) and it came out great, clean and matte look.

Then I used leather masters vital, let it dry for 2-3 hours and then whipped off any excess, but it still left a small greasy feel and small shine. Looks better before the application of vital.

Now that I was reading into it more, seems that leather master vital is overkill for good condition leather.

And a good cleaning using pristine clean or leather master cleaner is enough?

Any advice on leather cleaning would be great, as im just starting to get educated on it.
I use lexol cleaner and condition every 6mo or Zymol cleaner conditioner. I usually get both from pepboys used them on my old audi up to 7rys and no joke my car leather looked better then some of those cars you see at 2 and 4yrs
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIPAD View Post
In my professional opinion - Applying leather conditioner more than twice a year is an overkill unless you're dealing with a hard, dried leather. One of the best products out there to maintain new leather is Leatherique Prestine Clean. why? Because is a ph balanced leather cleaner that leaves behind a LIGHT conditioner. This product won't harm your leather, rubber or plastic surfaces.
Rule of thumb - If the vehicle being care for is a daily driver or a convertible you should do a deep leather conditioning treatment every six months. Otherwise have this service done once a year.
Interesting! Good info!

I am working with aniline leather, which seems to not be coated.
      07-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
+1 on leather master's protection cream. it has a water base and works on coated leathers, has a decent scent, and leaves a matt soft finish. i use leather master's cleaner followed by protection cream 2x a year. for maintenance detailing I just wipe the seats down with a soft microfiber misted with distilled water and my leather always looks and feels as good as new.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Interesting! Good info!

I am working with aniline leather, which seems to not be coated.
Aniline leather in many sedans and SUVs are not coated, factories add the coating to most convertibles due to their added exposure to the elements. This surfaces get a LIGHT coating to enhance its appearance and offer a SLIGHT protection against staining and spillages. Many new car owners interprete this as "I don't really need to protect my leather interior anymore, just clean it". This coating wears off fairly quick and a new coating should be applied. GTechniq L1 is a great leather coating that works very well at reducing wear and tear and blocking dye transfer from your jeans to the leather seats (as noticed on light color leathers). This coating is to be applied every 4-6 months. Car-Pro also sells a similar coating.
Appreciate 0