E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Anyone seen the nanoscrub wash mitt??

01-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Anyone seen the nanoscrub wash mitt??

I know there are the foam pads but have you guys seen the new wash mitt? Detailed image is currently carrying it. Anyone try this?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
I know there are the foam pads but have you guys seen the new wash mitt? Detailed image is currently carrying it. Anyone try this?
I have seen a couple reviews and if I recall right, I think people love it. If your going to ask about detailing items, its best to go over to http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/
      01-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

I havent tried the wash mitt but that would be the way to go. Wash and clay at the same time to eliminate the claying step afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
I havent tried the wash mitt but that would be the way to go. Wash and clay at the same time to eliminate the claying step afterwards.

that's what it does? interesting.

although you'd basically be stripping your lsp every time you wash the car, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep

jesus christ... it's $50 for a piece of rubber attached to a microfiber cloth
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This advanced rubber polymer technology will help you remove tree sap, residue from water marks, rail dust, road grime and other extra stubborn surface contaminants with ease. We first recommend washing the vehicle as you normally would to remove the loose contamination, but before drying we'll go back and rewash with the AutoScrub Wash Mitt. Now rinse the surface again and get a clean bucket of shampoo and water. Dip the AutoScrub Wash Mitt in your shampoo bucket and begin washing your paint with light pressure, just like your normal wash.
how is this a time saver? just use the wash mitt you have, leave the car wet after cleaning/rinsing, then lube it up and go over it with the nanoscrub pad or towel you already have...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
how is this a time saver? just use the wash mitt you have, leave the car wet after cleaning/rinsing, then lube it up and go over it with the nanoscrub pad or towel you already have...
Well you dont clay the car everytime it needs to be washed so you would only use the clay wash mitt when claying is needed. If you wash/clay with the same mitt when you are doing doing your normal routine wash the car is clayed as well and can go straight to polishing or compounding instead of claying the car before claying. Thats the use of this mitt.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
Well you dont clay the car everytime it needs to be washed so you would only use the clay wash mitt when claying is needed. If you wash/clay with the same mitt when you are doing doing your normal routine wash the car is clayed as well and can go straight to polishing or compounding instead of claying the car before claying. Thats the use of this mitt.
this mitt accomplishes nothing. no steps are eliminated at all.

instead of having a separate towel or pad to "clay" with, you get to flip your mitt over and use the rubber side after the car is washed. woopdy doo. Then once the microfiber side accidentally gets contaminated beyond cleaning, or simply gets too worn out, you're left with a rubber pad that's smaller than the autoscrub towel and unable to be hooked up to your machine like the autoscrub pad.

if you want versitility, you're much better off just buying the 6" pad and using it by hand or machine depending on your feelings for the day.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
this mitt accomplishes nothing. no steps are eliminated at all.

instead of having a separate towel or pad to "clay" with, you get to flip your mitt over and use the rubber side after the car is washed. woopdy doo. Then once the microfiber side accidentally gets contaminated beyond cleaning, or simply gets too worn out, you're left with a rubber pad that's smaller than the autoscrub towel and unable to be hooked up to your machine like the autoscrub pad.

if you want versitility, you're much better off just buying the 6" pad and using it by hand or machine depending on your feelings for the day.
I have both the 3" and 6" Autoscrub as well as the wash mitt. For light contamination or very sensitive paint, the wash mitt is faster. You actually don't use it as a wash mitt. You use it like a clay bar. Spray the area with your favorite lube. Put some ONR in a bucket and use it to rinse out the mitt after every panel. It is a great complimentary addition to a rinseless wash system.

I only use the Autoscrub pads on cars that need medium to heavy paint corrections. In the event that the pads mar the paint, no big deal since I will be doing corrections anyway. I don't take this chance when a car only needs a touch up. I simply don't want to spend extra time to correct any problems that the pads may cause.
      01-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
I have both the 3" and 6" Autoscrub as well as the wash mitt. For light contamination or very sensitive paint, the wash mitt is faster. You actually don't use it as a wash mitt. You use it like a clay bar. Spray the area with your favorite lube. Put some ONR in a bucket and use it to rinse out the mitt after every panel. It is a great complimentary addition to a rinseless wash system.

I only use the Autoscrub pads on cars that need medium to heavy paint corrections. In the event that the pads mar the paint, no big deal since I will be doing corrections anyway. I don't take this chance when a car only needs a touch up. I simply don't want to spend extra time to correct any problems that the pads may cause.
you do realize that the auto scrub pad has the same "material" as the wash mitt, right? you could basically just hold the pad in your hand and run it over the car manually if you don't want to use the machine. no need to spend an extra $50 on redundancy
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
you do realize that the auto scrub pad has the same "material" as the wash mitt, right? you could basically just hold the pad in your hand and run it over the car manually if you don't want to use the machine. no need to spend an extra $50 on redundancy
Both products used the same core materials but there are differences between the two.

The rubber material on the pad is stiffer and it has a diamond like pattern with a dot in the center of the diamond. The mitt has a softer (stickier) rubber much like SM Arnold Speedy Prep towel (which was made by NanoSkin licensed to SM Arnold) and it has a north/south alignment. The pad was designed to be used with a DA first and hand application second while the mitt was designed for hand application from the start. I don't want to go in details on the reason for this. It is another topic for another day..... but there is one.

If you are working on a large flat surface then either one will work well. If you are doing it for money (like I am) or have OCD then you want both. The mitt can go in places that the pad simply can't (ie door handles, door handle cups, grill, around the windows, the narrow space space under the lights, etc).

The simple fact that I could feel the paint with the mitt gives me more control over the entire process. This is important if you are working on a soft or sensitive paint like BMW Jet Black. Again, if I am doing a full correction then this is a non-factor but if I am doing a light cleaning then I don't want to take any chances.

The initial cost for both products are high but these products were designed for professional use originally. If you run the numbers on cost of clay bars for 50 vehicles versus either of the 2 products for the same 50 then you can see the savings in these products.

I don't think this is a either/or. It is whats best for your particular situation. I look at all of them as tools and as such....I try to have a wide variety since I don't know what type of car paint system I will be working on next. For an average car owner/hobbyist working on their own vehicle, its kind of a big expense.

Last edited by psnt1ol; 01-21-2013 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Both products used the same core materials but there are differences between the two.

The rubber material on the pad is stiffer and it has a diamond like pattern with a dot in the center of the diamond. The mitt has a softer (stickier) rubber much like SM Arnold Speedy Prep towel (which was made by NanoSkin licensed to SM Arnold) and it has a north/south alignment. The pad was designed to be used with a DA first and hand application second while the mitt was designed for hand application from the start. I don't want to go in details on the reason for this. It is another topic for another day..... but there is one.

If you are working on a large flat surface then either one will work well. If you are doing it for money (like I am) or have OCD then you want both. The mitt can go in places that the pad simply can't (ie door handles, door handle cups, grill, around the windows, the narrow space space under the lights, etc).

The simple fact that I could feel the paint with the mitt gives me more control over the entire process. This is important if you are working on a soft or sensitive paint like BMW Jet Black. Again, if I am doing a full correction then this is a non-factor but if I am doing a light cleaning then I don't want to take any chances.

The initial cost for both products are high but these products were designed for professional use originally. If you run the numbers on cost of clay bars for 50 vehicles versus either of the 2 products for the same 50 then you can see the savings in these products.

I don't think this is a either/or. It is whats best for your particular situation. I look at all of them as tools and as such....I try to have a wide variety since I don't know what type of car paint system I will be working on next. For an average car owner/hobbyist working on their own vehicle, its kind of a big expense.
Well put!

The NanoSkin AutoScrub Fine Foam Pad seems to be more popular so far. I like these pads but I prefer to use them by hand, I feel like I am more careful and can get in to tight spaces.

NanoSkin AutoScrub Medium Wash Mitt is a good choice and is probably the best choice for working fast.

The SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel is the same basic thing and works just as well. It has a larger surface area and may be the best value of all.

All three will perform just about the same with some of the minor differences noted above. As always we offer 10% off with the e90post code. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0