E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BOV, negative performance impact?

05-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
My mistake. I just took another look at the recirculation diagram. I thought the recirculated air was pumped back into the intake tract a little closer to the impeller.

Either way, shoving a bit more air back into the intake cant hurt either. Not to say that would prevent me from getting one. I'm still considering options myself.
This was my point and especially when the alternative provides no performance benefits and sounds annoying IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
There's absolutely no negative effects of running a blow off valve (BOV) on the N54 engine, other than the "whoosh" sound some people might not like. Personally, I wasn't a fan of blow off valves until I decided to try one myself. I went with the Synapse bov kit, and I totally love it. Sometimes I just nail the throttle just to hear it, and piss other people off. Love the wtf...was that looks. The only negative thing about the bov is that it releases the air mixed with oil into the engine compartment. The amount of blow by oil in the N54 is guite a lot, I go under the hood weekly to clean the bov and its surroundings free of oil.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete84 View Post
There's absolutely no negative effects of running a blow off valve (BOV) on the N54 engine, other than the "whoosh" sound some people might not like. Personally, I wasn't a fan of blow off valves until I decided to try one myself. I went with the Synapse bov kit, and I totally love it. Sometimes I just nail the throttle just to hear it, and piss other people off. Love the wtf...was that looks. The only negative thing about the bov is that it releases the air mixed with oil into the engine compartment. The amount of blow by oil in the N54 is guite a lot, I go under the hood weekly to clean the bov and its surroundings free of oil.
And this is why our valves look like 20 year old grill grates..

I like the sound of BOV's as well. You can definitely hear the stock DV's so at this point its just which sound do I like better. I do not like HKS SSQV's, nor do I care for the stock DV's. I think I am going with a Tial or Synapse unit.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #26
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
You need a catch can.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #27
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The only negative thing about the bov is that it releases the air mixed with oil into the engine compartment. The amount of blow by oil in the N54 is guite a lot, I go under the hood weekly to clean the bov and its surroundings free of oil.
see that would be a total deal breaker for me in itself..u can eat off my engine compartment the way i maintain it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #28
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
You need a catch can.
I know, I was thinking about the BSH can, but some people here proved their design is not working very well. The new AR looks promising, but right now I'll stick with my weekly routine of wiping the oil off.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #29
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I know, I was thinking about the BSH can, but some people here proved their design is not working very well. The new AR looks promising, but right now I'll stick with my weekly routine of wiping the oil off.
Yea was on that thread..I installed mine despite all those issues..i used pipe thread on the brass fiting and lithium grease on the orings..hopefully they seated rite...will report back if i have any leaking..u know honestly there is other areas of blow by so idk if an OCC would totally cure everything..but its better than nothing
Appreciate 0