E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Getting the most out of a BAD visit to the stealership

07-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
rayguy24
the mod bug is crawling in my brain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 tiag aka "luna"

Getting the most out of a BAD visit to the stealership

With my e90 still under CPO warranty and free maintenance, I scheduled an appointment with the dealership since my brake pad warning indicator went off. I thought this was odd because I was certain that my brakes had plenty of time left.

8 hours later (good thing I decided to take a free loaner), I looked over the work order to realize that all that was done was a CBC correction. What? 8 hours for a simple computer fix. There's a long line of cars...yada yada..ok ill accept that i guess. Just a huge PITA.

Anyways, here's my biggest mistake...before I left, I said "sure" to a car wash. As I had that gut feeling I should retract my acceptance, I just let it stand still and see how it turns out. Well you guessed it, bad choice. After waiting nearly 45 minutes after checking out at the cashier's (another problem, which I dont even want to get started on ) I do a routine check of my car before driving off. Just a side note, during the initial inspection by the SA, I made sure that all (very few) scuffs were accounted for. So when I looked to see if everything was ok with the surface, I come upon some surface scratches that I could swear were not there before. And even with a Tiag e90, I was still able to see the new additions given the bright sunlight thankfully. I bring this to the SA's attention.

Coming from such an "esteemed" brand, I expect BMW service to be great. Instead I get a response from the SA somewhere along the lines of "usually customers dont know that these scratches are there before the service, and notice them after a wash because of the sun and cleaniness of the wash"...dont give me that BS! After complaining, he offered me free detail service on my next visit (since the detailers where gone for the day).

THanks to the folks here on the forum, I confirmed my suspicions on a detail (or lack there of) done by the dealership. If their wash can be terrible, whats to say their detail service would be any better.

THen comes the good ole survey. Well after speaking my mind, responses by the survey and service department, and refusing to accept detail service that I would not take anyways, I was given a nice credit for the inconvenience.

Moral of the story, well first NO CAR WASHES OR DETAILS by the dealership. Lastly, the customer should always be right...and make sure you dont put up with their BS and get what you feel is fair.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

That's rule numbero uno when getting my cars serviced. I mention it to my SA and also stick a polite note on the dash for the Techs, just in case. My SA claims they appreciate that.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Bingo to what jopa said and thanks for posting your experience. It may help others new to the dealer "wash and detail" game. While I will say there may be SOME dealers who do it right, there are a huge majority of dealers from info posted on these types of forums that do NOT do it right. While the majority of service customers appreciate that "extra" service people like us do not and it creates a bunch of work once you get it back!

I'm like jopa i.e. I have a typed, large font, laminated card I attach to the steering wheel every time my BMW's have been in for service that clearly states in 2 languages PLEASE Do NOT wash. Like jopa said my SA appreciates it and makes sure to leave it on when they come up to relocate the car in for service. It's also written on the service work order and highlighted.