E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help Me Decide: Powertrain +, Gold, or Platinum Coverage

02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

Help Me Decide: Powertrain +, Gold, or Platinum Coverage

Hey guys. I just purchased a 3.5 year old 2009 BMW 335i with 49,000 miles. The car is black with oyster interior, M-sport package, nav, comfort access, Harmon Kardon sound, heated seats, pretty much every option. I absolutely love the car. Quite an upgrade over the 2005 CTS I have now. The car has a clean carfax and I took it in for an inspection at an indy and they said the car looked really really good. They also pulled a report for me showing everything that has been done and they indicated that all scheduled maintenance was performed and told me the things that had been repaired under warranty. The only things were the HPFP (of course) and an injector was recently replaced (this scares me some, as I feel if 1 went the others are on there way).

I am trying to decide what extended coverage to purchase. I plan to do the 84Month/100,000Mile warranty which will provide me with 3.5 years of coverage and 50,000 miles. I was quoted $2400 for Powertrain Plus, $3500 for Gold, and $3900 for Platinum, which I feel is pretty reasonable. I have to at least do the Powertrain plus, as I am so scared of the injectors and turbos and things breaking that I dont even want to own the car without a warranty ha.

So my biggest question is, since I have Nav and HK sound, should I pay an extra $1400 to have all of that stuff covered? I feel like the recurring problems with BMWs are all covered under the Powertrain Plus plan and I don't hear about the radio and nav and speakers breaking very much...What are y'alls thoughts on this?

And if I decided to not get a warranty, how much is it to replace an injector myself(I know I can DIY) and how much to have an Indy replace a blown turbo?

Thanks guys! And hopefully I can post pics of it soon, but its raining here now, so no car wash today.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

To replace a blow turbo would be a ton. Id say 5k at an indy if they will do it... Prob 7k at the dealer..

Why don't you see if you can find a good aftermarket warranty not from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

The idrive does have problems btw and costs a ton to fix also.. I hear 2k to be replaced or more at the dealer.

Id say those are the 2 parts that break the most of those cars the turbo and electrical anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfox11 View Post
Hey guys. I just purchased a 3.5 year old 2009 BMW 335i with 49,000 miles. The car is black with oyster interior, M-sport package, nav, comfort access, Harmon Kardon sound, heated seats, pretty much every option. I absolutely love the car. Quite an upgrade over the 2005 CTS I have now. The car has a clean carfax and I took it in for an inspection at an indy and they said the car looked really really good. They also pulled a report for me showing everything that has been done and they indicated that all scheduled maintenance was performed and told me the things that had been repaired under warranty. The only things were the HPFP (of course) and an injector was recently replaced (this scares me some, as I feel if 1 went the others are on there way).
Eric, I am in Houston as well. I'm not sure which dealer quoted you, but try some of the board sponsors for quotes. I got a 70k gold for $2.6k from Pacific BMW in CA a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post
Eric, I am in Houston as well. I'm not sure which dealer quoted you, but try some of the board sponsors for quotes. I got a 70k gold for $2.6k from Pacific BMW in CA a few years back.
Good idea. I will see if I can find the board sponsors...The quoted price is from BMW of Dallas (where the car was purchased). I called BMW of Midtown and they quoted me $5300 for the platinum without maintenance! What a rip.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
To replace a blow turbo would be a ton. Id say 5k at an indy if they will do it... Prob 7k at the dealer..

Why don't you see if you can find a good aftermarket warranty not from BMW?
I can't really find any warranties not through BMW? I feel like noone on these forums ever buys them so IDK which ones are good. And at the price point I was quoted, I don't think I would save much. I've heard the warranties are around $3000 from a third party normally.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
koss2010
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

Quote:
I can't really find any warranties not through BMW? I feel like noone on these forums ever buys them so IDK which ones are good. And at the price point I was quoted, I don't think I would save much. I've heard the warranties are around $3000 from a third party normally.
People have had some good experiences with USAA so I would try them. Also congrats on the car, I too purchased a 2009 335i this year I'll look out for you in the streets !
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I've heard some people purchased Ford extended warranty (and yes, they cover all makes and models including BMWs). Also if you're a Costco member, they have an extended warranty program and I believe it covers basically everything, even more than Platinum from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

The quotes for the Gold and Plat are same as I got when I called around, about 600 under MSRP, for 2009 xdrive. If you search around here you will see a LOT more of people having gasket related leaks: turbo lines, oil filter housing, oil pans, valve cover, trans sleave, trans pan, diffs... Not very many Nav or radio related issues. I 'believe' these gaskets above are all covered under Gold and Plat but not the PT. So now if you are at 3500, other 400 over 3 years for the Plat isn't that much more. And will be MUCH easier to sell down the road with BMW warranty. Gold coverage is equal to CPO plus yours with be for 7 years vs 6. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun w/N54 View Post
The quotes for the Gold and Plat are same as I got when I called around, about 600 under MSRP, for 2009 xdrive. If you search around here you will see a LOT more of people having gasket related leaks: turbo lines, oil filter housing, oil pans, valve cover, trans sleave, trans pan, diffs... Not very many Nav or radio related issues. I 'believe' these gaskets above are all covered under Gold and Plat but not the PT. So now if you are at 3500, other 400 over 3 years for the Plat isn't that much more. And will be MUCH easier to sell down the road with BMW warranty. Gold coverage is equal to CPO plus yours with be for 7 years vs 6. Good luck.
Exactly my thoughts, so it really is either powertrain plus or platinum ha. The $400 difference between gold and platinum I feel is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Do you really expect to have $5K in repairs on a 3 year old car? I'd say keep your cash and pay out of pocket if it happens. And if you can't afford to fix a BMW then you probably should be in the market for something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
Do you really expect to have $5K in repairs on a 3 year old car? I'd say keep your cash and pay out of pocket if it happens. And if you can't afford to fix a BMW then you probably should be in the market for something else.
Not now, but in a few years from now it becomes a possibility, doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The prices were $2400 and $3900, not $5,000...

And the fact is if I have to replace a turbo or something that is like $5,000 by itself. Then I will always think "Why the hell didn't I just buy the warranty and get EVERYTHING covered"

I can afford the warranty now or to fix the car later, but I don't want to have to shell out $5,000+ for repairs when I could just pay $3900 and have complete piece of mind. I got the car for a good price too, even with the extended warranty it would be right at about $30k
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The prices were $2400 and $3900, not $5,000...

And the fact is if I have to replace a turbo or something that is like $5,000 by itself. Then I will always think "Why the hell didn't I just buy the warranty and get EVERYTHING covered"

I can afford the warranty now or to fix the car later, but I don't want to have to shell out $5,000+ for repairs when I could just pay $3900 and have complete piece of mind. I got the car for a good price too, even with the extended warranty it would be right at about $30k
So you're basically admitting the car is a piece of shit and you're prepaying for repairs. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
ef11
Captain
Rep

Some people on this forum......

BMWs are known to have some issues that are very expensive to fix. The pre purchase inspection I had done showed the car had been maintained perfectly and was in great shape. So no, I'm not admitting the car is a piece of shit. You could have easily read that in my original post.

I just wanted to get a good estimate of how much some of the common repairs costs, and whether it is worth it to upgrade from the powertrain plus to the platinum.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
I have Mogi 3rd party warranty. This was about 3 years ago. I have another 2 years left and i bought it with 35k. So its 101k up to 2015. I racked up more than what I paid for it. It was 3200 with roadside assistance (100 mile tow with free hotel stay up to 3 days). Its worth it. Dealer was charging me almost double more. Im at 55k now and will probably get up to around 80k at the end. My adaptive xenons went out and that cost was 2k itself. Small minor things added up. My deductible is 50.00.

You can use the warranty at any INDY or at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So you're basically admitting the car is a piece of shit and you're prepaying for repairs. Nice.
Id say the 07's 335is are huge pieces of shit and if I had to deal with some of the shit some owners here have I would be pissed.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
ddeliber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Quote:
Alright, I'm new here so forgive me if I am missing some unwritten flame rules here, but I am curious about a few things with these two posts...

How does asking others if an extended warranty is worth x or y imply that someone can't afford a BMW? And do you realize that warranties cover cars for an extended period of time, no matter how old a car is when it is purchased?

I also thought that it is pretty clear when someone says $2400 $3900 that they don't mean $5000.

I also read in several places here that 335s are awesome cars but they have some issues that develop over time that can get expensive. Asking others that might have more experience with this model if they would sped x amount over the course of years 4 - 7 seems pretty reasonable to me. In fact I am mulling this same decision right now. How does that imply that someone thinks that a car is a piece of shit? More to the point, what is the value of that particular post? IMO, there is none.

It sounds like you got reamed with some big bill for something and you want others to experience the same, or you want others to think that you are filthy rich and you like throwing your money away. I have plenty of money, and that is partly because I think about what I spend my money on.

If you have value to add or a point to make, make it. Blasting someone for affect with really no point really is simply not helpful, and unoriginal.

To the OP, as I mentioned, I am also considering the ex-warr; however, I heard that it is transferable but not refundable. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If it is correct, for me it probably is probably worth holding off on this purchase until closer to the 4y50k limit.

Based on the miles you have on yours, now is the time and from on what I have read so far, on a 335 the ex war is definitely worth it. There will be repairs, and even if they don't total what you spend, the risk of the costs being significantly more are worth the difference IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
Alright, I'm new here so forgive me if I am missing some unwritten flame rules here, but I am curious about a few things with these two posts...

How does asking others if an extended warranty is worth x or y imply that someone can't afford a BMW? And do you realize that warranties cover cars for an extended period of time, no matter how old a car is when it is purchased?

I also thought that it is pretty clear when someone says $2400 $3900 that they don't mean $5000.

I also read in several places here that 335s are awesome cars but they have some issues that develop over time that can get expensive. Asking others that might have more experience with this model if they would sped x amount over the course of years 4 - 7 seems pretty reasonable to me. In fact I am mulling this same decision right now. How does that imply that someone thinks that a car is a piece of shit? More to the point, what is the value of that particular post? IMO, there is none.

It sounds like you got reamed with some big bill for something and you want others to experience the same, or you want others to think that you are filthy rich and you like throwing your money away. I have plenty of money, and that is partly because I think about what I spend my money on.

If you have value to add or a point to make, make it. Blasting someone for affect with really no point really is simply not helpful, and unoriginal.

To the OP, as I mentioned, I am also considering the ex-warr; however, I heard that it is transferable but not refundable. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If it is correct, for me it probably is probably worth holding off on this purchase until closer to the 4y50k limit.

Based on the miles you have on yours, now is the time and from on what I have read so far, on a 335 the ex war is definitely worth it. There will be repairs, and even if they don't total what you spend, the risk of the costs being significantly more are worth the difference IMO.

In general warranties are rip offs. They wouldn't offer them if they weren't making tons of money.

If you knowingly purchased a car that will be breaking then just admit its a piece of crap and pay for the warranty if you'll be ahead financially. The reality is you just need to add that much to the purchase price of he car.

I have a 330xi with 127K miles and no major repairs and no warranty. I will pay for repairs out of pocket if they happen and in the mean I keep my money and my car is not broken. Last I heard German engineering was pretty good stuff. I assure you the German engineers would be appalled at the idea of their customer's needing to buy extended warranties.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Fun w/N54
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

335 is much different and more complex than the 330s. The BMW warranties are refundable and transferable with $50 ded. I'm buying for piece of mind and resale. Common phrase in the buy sell section is friends don't let friends buy BMW out of warranty. If I choose to trade in down the road the prorated refund will be part of down payment. And if people decide to buy ext warranty this is a NON taxable purchase.
      02-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
ef11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post

Thank you!

Yes I completely agree that the $3900 is worth it just for piece of mind, especially when you have Nav, Xenons, and HK sound. And I think an 09 335i with every option available for right at $30k and warranty up to 100K miles is worth it. Thanks for the replies guys. I like the saying "friends don't let friends buy BMWs out of warranty", I feel like that is true.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post

No effing way... You get a quote on this or just pulling out of you know where?