E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rain-x Headlight Restoration

03-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
AW328i
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

Rain-x Headlight Restoration

I recently purchased an RR Sport, and unfortunately the headlights were slightly oxidized towards the top, since I believe the previous owner(s) didn't park it in a garage. I have been debating on whether or not to do this headlight restoration, but I am glad I did and it worked very well for the price (about 12 bucks at pepboys). For anyone contemplating doing this or has some slight haze or scratches on their headlights, I would recommend it, although I'm sure there are some better kits out there.

Before:

After:
      04-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
mikeisnorml
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

I'm in the same situation with my head lights. I had the dealer that sold me the car buff out the headlights which only lasted 2 weeks before it started coming back. I'm interested in knowing how long rainx solution will last for?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Original equipment material (OEM) suppliers started to add ultra violet resistant (UV) coating to the surface of the lens in an attempt to reduce this condition and prolong the usable life of the lens. This protective coating is very thin (25 µ (microns or 1 Mil)

Removing oxidation or scratches from vehicle headlights or brake lights (also polycarbonate) also removes the OEM ultra violet protection, which prematurely decreases the durability of the lens. Surfaces that have yellowed are a sign that the ultra violet (UV) sacrificial coating has failed and must be resurfaced and recoated.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - “Headlight Restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1506615
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Just buy opti-lens coating. Its an almost permanent solution once you get the headlight cleared up.
      04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
AW328i
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeisnorml View Post
I'm in the same situation with my head lights. I had the dealer that sold me the car buff out the headlights which only lasted 2 weeks before it started coming back. I'm interested in knowing how long rainx solution will last for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Just buy opti-lens coating. Its an almost permanent solution once you get the headlight cleared up.
The rain-x worked pretty well, although the bottles of lubricant and sealant that they give you are just a little smaller than I would prefer. The size of my headlight is slightly larger than an E9x headlight too, that being said I might end up buying another one of these kits just to get it completely smooth and clear because I was running out of lubricant at one point. The sealant they provide is just OK, I will be buying some opti-lens coating soon as possible. I have been applying the sealant whenever I wash the car and will apply wax on them as well just to maximize my protection.
      04-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
BradZditosky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Ill have to try this out, mine are starting to get a little hazy, thanks for sharing.
      04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The sealant I applied never really felt like it "hardened" so my lights are still a bit tacky after months. Glad I did it on my truck first.
Appreciate 0