E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adcive Please - underside damage

01-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Angry Adcive Please - underside damage

Morning,

So driving past Manchester airport on Friday aft, ran over something near a building site....

Then as I went around a left bend, there is this metal on tarmac noise from underneath the car. So stop and pull this out from under the car – a fecking metal bar stuck in the (fibreglass?) underside!

Here are some pics of the damage, I assuming I need to take this into the stealer – hopefully these undertrays are cheap and easy to change? I am also hopping it hasn’t damaged through to the metal.

Final question, this happened near a big building site, and I also noticed one of those street cleaners going back and forth. Do you think I have grounds to claim this rod came from this site and get them to pay up?

Thanks.
      01-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
jerrybajwa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR '11 e92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
damn that sux

335i-SL55-M3!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Final question, this happened near a big building site, and I also noticed one of those street cleaners going back and forth. Do you think I have grounds to claim this rod came from this site and get them to pay up?

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about this. I think I can advise on liability though.

If this road is public highway, then the main responsibility for keeping it clean rests with the local authority highways department, OR the highways agency if it's a 'trunk road'.

It's an offence for anyone to leave debris on the highway, so if the contractor has done this, then he is in the wrong.

Planning permissions often require contractors to agree a scheme for the control of mud and other deposits on the highway (sweepers and wheel washes etc) to mitigate any impact from construction operations.

However, you don't know how the re-inforcement bar (thats what i is) got onto the highway. If you had seen it fall from a vehicle then you could pursue the owners of that vehicle and they could in turn claim from their insurers (just like a normal traffic accident).

Although the re-bar could have come from the building site, since this is a public road it could also have come from any of the vehicles that use it.

Arguably, even if it did fall from (say) a skip lorry taking waste from the site, the incident happened in a public place, outside of the site boundary. So the skip contractor is liable NOT the building contractor.

If you want to take a shot at this, find out which director at the construction company has responsibility for this site (don't bother with the site management team they will file this in the bin). Write him a letter and see if he is feeling helpful. He probably won't be, but this is worth a shot.

You could also make life hard for the builders by complaining to the planning department that they are leaving debris on the road. This probably won't get you any money, but some builders will chuck you a few quid to keep the local authority happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

what do you have to lose besides some time?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

that bit looks expensive, but it also looks like a tin of fibre glass fom halfords could effect a good repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Could have been worse - caught a bit of a rally programme on Dave TV yesterday and I think something similar happened to one of the Finnish drivers - Mikko I think - where one of his front wheels kicked up a similar fence rod / concrete reinforcement.

In his case though the rod was longer, and went straight up through the floor pan, straight through the kelvar seat of his co-driver! He was lucky in that it didn't penetrate his overalls - but he did end with 2 broken bones in his bum/leg area!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like it's only damage the undertray, which is pretty much a sacrificial part.
      01-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Looks like the steel rebar they use to build our cars. How did your fall out? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nobody like a torn undercarriage.

Looks like you could patch it yourself as acerboo suggested
      01-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #10
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

my undercarriage and one of the aerodynamic flaps under the car were ripped out by some debris on the M4 driving home one day.

I had to get the section replaced, was £30 for the plastic + fitting, though with axle stands it could be done at home.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the comments (and poor joke )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
If you want to take a shot at this, find out which director at the construction company has responsibility for this site (don't bother with the site management team they will file this in the bin). Write him a letter and see if he is feeling helpful. He probably won't be, but this is worth a shot.

You could also make life hard for the builders by complaining to the planning department that they are leaving debris on the road. This probably won't get you any money, but some builders will chuck you a few quid to keep the local authority happy.
It was a public road, but I like your idea of going after a director - will try that if I get fixed at the stealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
that bit looks expensive, but it also looks like a tin of fibre glass fom halfords could effect a good repair.
Never used a tin before.....do you reckon this would do the job then?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165625

Or actually place a sheet of fibre glass over it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
my undercarriage and one of the aerodynamic flaps under the car were ripped out by some debris on the M4 driving home one day.

I had to get the section replaced, was £30 for the plastic + fitting, though with axle stands it could be done at home.
£30, not too bad....how much did they charge for fitting?

Cheers.
      01-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
hmi1750
Major
Rep

They didn't charge for fitting I think, as they messed me about and didn't replace it fully and it was only when i got down and slid my head under the car in the car park that I noticed they only did half the job!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
hmi1750
Major
Rep

but prob charge about 30mins labour, as they tend to do it in blocks of 30mins at most dealers I have contacted.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks - my old man does have axle stands, so could fit myself if they take the p%ss.

May get the stealer to check and quote first - if they say just cosmetic, I then could just patch it, but equally they may spot some more serious damage.
      01-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
tinka
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2.0d M SPORT

That could of been very dangerous. If the bar got caught in a divit in the road it could of gone through the car and seat, as a worse case scenario.
And a case to argue if you report it to the council.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeap, agree - I am going to report to Manc council as well.

Will let you all know state of play when I get the car to the dealer for a look on the ramps.
      01-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Or actually place a sheet of fibre glass over it?
Bit of a bugger that happening!

Think the second one you posted above will do the trick for that job, and you can get high on the resin lol.

As annoying as it is that this has happened, it does look purely superficial tbh.

Good luck with 'sorting out' the authorities, think it's worth reporting to the relevant people.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #18
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

the paste will be easier to do but if the replacement part is only £30 and you can fit yourself you may as well do that. i would definitiley have a go at the council though.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #19
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
the paste will be easier to do
You reckon? Would have thought the other one as looking at his pics. he'll have to 'construct and mould' that type of damage. Had to use that sort of stuff on my old Capri years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
but prob charge about 30mins labour, as they tend to do it in blocks of 30mins at most dealers I have contacted.
I have just damaged my undertray today on the A3 a lorry in front dropped a mat from the back. Lucky it went under the car but it has ripped my undertray under the passanger seat.

Dropped in Cooper Cobham tonight and the parts guy had a look at my car. He said the same £30 to £40 part but half an hour labour as the car has to go up on the ramps to have it fitted.

I am going to patch it up or snap the bit off hanging down and get it replaced when the car is in for a service in 3,000 miles and save some on the labour front whilst the car is already on the ramps.

Cooper Cobham were excellent with no appointment.

Had a quick look at the M3 in the showroom but walked away.....
      02-02-2009, 03:49 AM   #21
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:
Short version – going to buy the under tray and have it fitted. I just don’t want to botch fitting it, the weather is awfull and as I have only had the car a month, dont want to patch it up!

Long version – dealer tried to charge me £77 to tell me I need a £30 part

Well I booked the car in for a quote Friday morning, so the dealer could look at the damage. I had agreed to wait while they did this, naively thinking they would be 10 mins.

When I got there, the lady had a job sheet and asked how I would be paying, I said I don’t need to as this is just a look so you can quote the bits....she agreed, I signed the job form (with no payment method ticked) and I went and sat down (can you guess where this is going).

Anyway, an hour later, she came back and said I need the £30 undertray part and an oil top up. The part wasn’t in stock and neither did they know how much to fit. I declined the oil top up, and wondered why they had even checked. It then took them another 30 mins to get my car back and I went to get the keys.

They then handed a charge for £77 for the inspection and asked me to pay! I explained my previous conversation to this different lady and she then showed me that I had ticked the credit card box so must have agreed to pay. Note though, on this form there was no mention of the £77!

After refusing to pay, the service manager then got involved and offered to pay half and that I must expect to pay for them to have a look at what was damaged and needed replacing.

I was already in the mind to pay for part and to get them to fit it as well. So he finally offered to waive the £77 if I came back and had the work done....to which I agreed. The car is back in next Friday, but I am so annoyed how they tried to charge £77 to tell me I need a £30 part .
      02-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I was already in the mind to pay for part and to get them to fit it as well. So he finally offered to waive the £77 if I came back and had the work done....to which I agreed. The car is back in next Friday, but I am so annoyed how they tried to charge £77 to tell me I need a £30 part .
That is completely ridiculous.

Since when has a garage charged to provide a quote for accident damage.

£77 for someone to identify a part number and provide a cost!

Trading Standards should be involved.

You should name and shame.
Appreciate 0