E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Questions about Welt pick up...

12-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
klo
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Questions about Welt pick up...

I'm going to Munich on Mon to pick up my car (finally), and had some quick questions for those who've gone recently:

1. Do you need to schedule a drop off appointment for the car? I have a pick up appt scheduled in the morning at 10:50am, but from discussions with my CA and bmwna it didnt sound like I needed a drop off one; I just need to make sure its open. (I will be dropping it off at Welt). The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if I'll be dropping it off on Tue or Wed, though I tentatively have it set for Tue.

2. Do you get to keep the license plates? It would be a cool souvenir.

3. Do they let you keep the car on the spinning platform until you're ready to drive it off, or are you suppose to drive the car off right at the end of your appointment to make way for a new delivery (and park it somewhere else)? My appt is in the morning, but I want to stick around the factory to check it out, and probably won't want to leave until later in the afternoon/evening.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klo View Post
I'm going to Munich on Mon to pick up my car (finally), and had some quick questions for those who've gone recently:

1. Do you need to schedule a drop off appointment for the car? I have a pick up appt scheduled in the morning at 10:50am, but from discussions with my CA and bmwna it didnt sound like I needed a drop off one; I just need to make sure its open. (I will be dropping it off at Welt). The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if I'll be dropping it off on Tue or Wed, though I tentatively have it set for Tue.

2. Do you get to keep the license plates? It would be a cool souvenir.

3. Do they let you keep the car on the spinning platform until you're ready to drive it off, or are you suppose to drive the car off right at the end of your appointment to make way for a new delivery (and park it somewhere else)? My appt is in the morning, but I want to stick around the factory to check it out, and probably won't want to leave until later in the afternoon/evening.

Thanks!
Answer for first two - YES.
Not sure about #3.
      12-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

There is no drop-off at the Welt. You will need to revise your plan somewhat. The closest drop-off point is in Garching.

Regarding appointments for drop-off, most locations require appointments (not Garching however) and you need to find out when they are open anyway.

Quote:

Thanks!
They are doing lots of deliveries and only have 30 platters. You will need to drive off and park in the Welt´s parking garage (n.b. this is free for those doing tourist delivery).

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

1. I would send Harms in Garching an email. There's an info page on bmwusa.com under the ED section. The guy that works there is Thomas (very nice guy).

2. Yup- you take off the front plate when you drop it off. Some cars will come back with the rear plate as well (some wont).

3. What he said ^
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
klo
Private
Rep

Hmm, thanks for the responses! I just assumed that drop off was in Welt; no one that I talked to mentioned otherwise (but my CA may be a bit unfamiliar with ED). Thanks for letting me know.

Does anyone know if theres enough at Welt to actually spend a full day there? I'm attempting to plan my trip (i know, its last minute), so just seeing if i should dedicate a full day there, which includes the pick up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Hmm, thanks for the responses! I just assumed that drop off was in Welt; no one that I talked to mentioned otherwise (but my CA may be a bit unfamiliar with ED). efor letting me know.
This is one of the many reasons it is CRUCIAL to use a CA who is experienced in factory delivery.

Quote:
Does anyone know if theres enough at Welt to actually spend a full day there? I'm attempting to plan my trip (i know, its last minute), so just seeing if i should dedicate a full day there, which includes the pick up.
Please see my set of articles on the BMW Welt (then you can prepare for 2-3 days at the Welt )

Also, you should visit Bimmerfest´s European Delivery forum (and mark your date on th Official European Delivery calendar)

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
theres not enough to do in Welt for a whole day, with the factory tour and messing around I say 4-6 hours is max before your bored out of your mind, however if you also visit the museum you might be squeezing an 8 hour day out of that area.

1) you DO NOT need appointment to drop off at Harms Munich. you just go and do the paper work. (don't get lost, they close at 4pm)

2) you can ONLY take the front plate, you have to leave the back one.

3) you gotta drive your car off the platform when they are done delivering, you can park for free at the garage underground and come back up.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
theres not enough to do in Welt for a whole day, with the factory tour and messing around I say 4-6 hours is max before your bored out of your mind, however if you also visit the museum you might be squeezing an 8 hour day out of that area.

1) you DO NOT need appointment to drop off at Harms Munich. you just go and do the paper work. (don't get lost, they close at 4pm)

2) you can ONLY take the front plate, you have to leave the back one.

3) you gotta drive your car off the platform when they are done delivering, you can park for free at the garage underground and come back up.
+1 -- there is so much other cool stuff to do in Munich (& Bavaria & europe) that if your time is limited then I would not spend more than a couple hours at the Welt. Get in your car and DRIVE IT!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
however if you also visit the museum you might be squeezing an 8 hour day out of that area
The museum is closed till some point in the spring (someone will chime in with exact date).

We spent about 6 hours in the Welt & factory-tour total and saw fairly everything excluding the restaurant.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

I spent 10 hours there, I had plenty to do. There is a mini museum exhibit until the big one opens. If all else fails and you don't have anything to do, go to the Premium Lounge and eat! You can park in the garage for free, OR you can valet your car for free as well since you are there for Euro Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #11
klo
Private
Rep

awesome, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Really looking forward to heading there in a few days : )
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 02:52 AM   #12
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

do you have to sign up for the factory tours? And are there different tours?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
do you have to sign up for the factory tours? And are there different tours?
You'll sign up for the factory tour as part of your registration when you arrive in the Welt. The E90/E91 factory is literally across the street from the Welt.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
wind
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Whatever you do, don't skip the factory trip that takes 1.5-2 hours. It is free and can be scheduled when you are doing the paperwork. When I saw those robots at work I didn't want to leave the factory.:-) As for the time spent at Welt--I say you can spend about 3-4 hours easy just eating and walking around. Just keep in mind, you are a bit jetlagged--so your attention span is shorter:-)

Last edited by wind; 12-05-2007 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: added some info
Appreciate 0