E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > PSS10 with EDC - adjustment

04-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

PSS10 with EDC - adjustment

Hi all,

I was wondering about the EDC system on the Bilstein PSS10 coilovers. How do you adjust what you want as normal and what you want as sport? Are the two settings completely independent? Or are they linked (i.e. if normal=5, then sport=normal+10=15)?

Anyone care to explain please?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Normal is on full soft and Sport full hard. in my opinion best to go with the manual adjustment 0-10 , supereasy and quick to change the stiffness anyway. Driving now 4 front and 3 back and its pretty perfect balance. Not harsh .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Normal is on full soft and Sport full hard. in my opinion best to go with the manual adjustment 0-10 , supereasy and quick to change the stiffness anyway. Driving now 4 front and 3 back and its pretty perfect balance. Not harsh .
That is so outrageously incorrect information above The EDC has a two-stage precalibrated setting - normal and sport. These two settings are pre-determined by Bilstein and are not normally adjustable, although Bilstein will do a special setup on request. However, the standard two stages are NOT full-soft/full-hard as the previous posted has erroneously suggested.

In fact according to Bilstein, who haven't actually given me the exact valving parameters, the normal mode on EDC equates to around setting 3 on the normal manual adjustment PSS10, and between 6/7 in Sport mode. In either mode the damping is very well judged, although sport mode does give a noticeable degree of extra body control as it keeps the springs under greater control. The normal mode is softer, but there is a floatiness to the body control which can be distracting when driving harder. Bilstein have categorically said that the two stages are well within the boundaries of the min/max damping range, and also strongly advise that on the manual adjusting version of the PSS10 that neither the minimum nor maximum damping settings should be used!!

The previous poster has got something very right though - for street use settings 3/4 are a very good balance between handling response and damping comfort
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
That is so outrageously incorrect information above The EDC has a two-stage precalibrated setting - normal and sport. These two settings are pre-determined by Bilstein and are not normally adjustable, although Bilstein will do a special setup on request. However, the standard two stages are NOT full-soft/full-hard as the previous posted has erroneously suggested.

In fact according to Bilstein, who haven't actually given me the exact valving parameters, the normal mode on EDC equates to around setting 3 on the normal manual adjustment PSS10, and between 6/7 in Sport mode. In either mode the damping is very well judged, although sport mode does give a noticeable degree of extra body control as it keeps the springs under greater control. The normal mode is softer, but there is a floatiness to the body control which can be distracting when driving harder. Bilstein have categorically said that the two stages are well within the boundaries of the min/max damping range, and also strongly advise that on the manual adjusting version of the PSS10 that neither the minimum nor maximum damping settings should be used!!

The previous poster has got something very right though - for street use settings 3/4 are a very good balance between handling response and damping comfort
Thank you,

does anyone actually have the EDC system installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Thank you,

does anyone actually have the EDC system installed?
Yes, me !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:

sorry for the misinformation
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Quote:
Yes, me !!!
Oh, ok... well, how satisfied are you with them? Do they squeak/rattle/chirp or anything like that? How much have you set the lowering to?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Oh, ok... well, how satisfied are you with them? Do they squeak/rattle/chirp or anything like that? How much have you set the lowering to?
I am extremely happy with them - have given them a very very good bedding-in drive over some of the toughest roads in England - did 1000 miles over the last weekend. I will be posting a full review in due course, so keep an eye on my sig below for the updated link.

I am going to the Nurburgring in a couple of weeks time, and the intention is to give the suspension a complete workout to really ascertain how good it is.

The short version is that so far it's very good - body control is much better in Sport mode. I have done minimum lowering - the ride height at the front is as high as it will go, and the rear is 10mm higher than the front to give a better stance and to keep the suspension travel at the rear at an optimum amount even with luggage or rear-seat passengers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I will be posting a full review in due course, so keep an eye on my sig below for the updated link.
Looking forward to that review, as I'm also considering to get this suspension. Thanks in advance!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Whats the difference between pss10 and pss9? Other than EDC, easier to adjust and dampening control now has 10 settings instead of 9. Are there any other differences such as spring rate or damper stiffness?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

PSS10 is a development, which has all the benefits that you've already listed. Spring rates as far as I know are the same, but the PSS10 has a finer degree of adjustment. Damper stiffness is adjusted using the control, so I don't know what you mean by a change in damper stiffness between PSS9 and PSS10 ??!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:37 AM   #12
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Sorry I'm not very familiar with Suspension stuff, in terms of quality, would the option of going with a PSS10 be better than KWV3, I know that the PSS10 has a premium price over the KWV3s, but is it worth it?

Cheers!

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0