E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Surprise in APRIL, more details to come!

03-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #199
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Hey man, I'm going to do the rear fenders too! What were some of the requirements that you need for widening the rear fenders? Was it a specific "offset" you were aiming for? Or you told him to just widen it more than the front?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #200
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
First, the obligatory

I say if you got the resources, do a 335 --> M3 conversion, its a good experience to feed the mod bug

Second, how in The Hell can you do all that and not plan on having your Halo rings done by OSS Design? I mean COME ON MAN, DO IT!! DOOO ITT!!

If you already got everything else apart, getting those headlights done should be a snap. Although since he is in Florida and you are in Australia, the shipping might be a bit prohibitive, but hey, if you are going to go, go balls out I say.
Hahahaha definately feeding the bug until its full and unable to move!
Yeah I saw the OSS design halos and damn they are cool but......too far away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
wow...ridiculous...awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
This is a really a most extensive re-build. Going by your photos, the workmanship that went into the project is outstanding. Congratulations on the result and on the very interesting thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILLIE View Post
car looks great bro
Many thanks (source of motivation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Maybe because he wants a twin turbo I6 rather than a gas guzzling V8?....Maybe taking a hit on selling the 335 only to spend a ton on a new M3 costs a lot more than this transition since he lives in Australia and not the U.S.?....Maybe he has a personal attachment to this vehicle like I do with mine?

I for one would definitely do this conversion if the costs weren't outrageous. Saferisk, could you post some numbers up for us? I'm guessing the parts plus labor costs would be similar to ours.

Love the car. The quality of work looks really good. Wouldn't have chosen that color, but thats subjective. Great job.
all of the above! I'll get the numbers up when its done so I can be more accurate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan ///m325 View Post
Very good points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
nice work looks really good.

I would have done a widebody on top of the m3 kit though
LOL, Maybe as stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Awesome build! You could always look at it like this...you're ahead of the game...BMW's next M3 will have a in-line 6 with twin-turbos and so do you.

Love it! Post more pics please.
AWESOME COMMENT! really made me smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
did some of you guys even bother reading the first post? the OP said that this project is still cheaper than 2/3 the price of a new M3 in Australia.

OP, everything looks good! I can't wait to see the LCI taillights be retrofitted. Please share tips on the process, as I'm sure many of us are looking to do the same.

Also, please take pics of the new speaker covers. I also have a beige interior with black trim and want to see how black speaker covers would look. Part numbers and tips on installation would be great too thanks!

Good luck with the rest of the project!
No problems at all! Just wait till I get around to the interior, that's the last phase of this build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
This thread gives me new ideas!
That makes me happy and its what others have done for me on this forum! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
I agree about the halos.... Awesome build, looking forward to updates.
On their way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechUT View Post
Go Hedges! Go!...

OP... Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw91 View Post
sooo legit. its forshadowing our futureeeee. deep i kno.
Tooooo deep! Thanks, I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
very looks awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
wow, don't know how I missed this thread.. sick car, more info on your rear fenders plz, are they custom and how much?
See previous post

Quote:
lol Already sending out quotations to get started!
That was quick~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei2ndgen View Post
WOW! Thats sick!!! I love the color and I'm not a fan of gray. I opted out of the M3 this gen but seeing your build...is giving me too many ideas!
You should see the color in person! Lets keep the ideas rolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshizzo View Post
Definitely feeling the car! Totally understand how passionate you are about this. Can't wait for the final pics. Looks sexy!
High Five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
People actually reading the thread before the post. Come on, this is e90post.

OP, car looks great. Congrats on a great project.
      03-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #201
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
wow! subscribed for final result! pics of mentioned custom instrument cluster?
There will be pics on the way! The cluster isn't really as hard or scary as one might think, a good circuit electrician and the right smd leds and you're good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioalex24 View Post
wow im amazed... great job... looking good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
that is one insane project. I am inspired by your willingness to go all-in on this project and not just half-ass it. And now you're getting all these parts that we havn't seen in the flesh yet! So cool
Insane is definately right! When I was putting the planning and ordering together, it was like I was in a trance and only really snapped back to reality when I saw my creditcard bill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdamota91 View Post
great project really love what your doing. i would never put my car through this much. i dont have the guts
You'd be surprised! Its always scary when in the middle of a build! But sometime its worth biting the bullet and ploughing onwards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesus-3 View Post
Good work lots of credit for actually doing this to what I see as a perfect car.....but Honestly, I dont know what everybody is all "goo-goo" for regarding the bodywork??? Its not that extensive, and the only thing custom I can see is rear flares.

Hi Zesus, a perfect car in my mind means that it is a even better base to start off with You're right when you say that I haven't really "customised" anything at all, its more like putting a puzzle together

Really though...everybody in the VW/Euro scene in NJ/NY does the rear stretched and pulled fenders/or wider fenders..Ive even seen this done (and way more extensive color changes done) 1000's of times in the import scene....Hell I've even seen extensively modded custom wide body E46's out here. It just seems folks are easily impressed on here. I mean its cool and the quality looks great but really all you've done to the car is diminish its value.

I'd agree with you in that yes there are many many levels of modifications with very different aims in mind: speed, sound, show, street and I speak from experience as I've also been a part of the import scene both with Jap cars and Audis as well. There is good reason for not going wild with this car, firstly its a very recent BMW and I find the body of the e92 M3 beautiful. I didn't want something that was so show that it'd be attracting police everywhere.

I guess perhaps its not that everyone is going "goo-goo" but rather getting behind one of its community members and being supportive whilst sharing in the happiness and excitment that we get both from owning BMWs and modifying them. I get just as excited when someone posts a good DIY!
About the diminishing value, yes very very valid point but its a labor of love and I will have this car for quite a while to come

Now as for saying that you are having all this done for less than 2/3rds the cost of an e92 M3, no way in hell. Unless you have the hookup at the body shop or something, and the M3's out there are more than 70k i can not see this as being true...$54850-67k is what MSRP suggests in the US...Thats for 2010-11. I mean my 07 6mt 335i cpe loaded with every option, new in 07, was priced somewhere between 45-50k (not sure...purchased used, I could be wrong) If you could, post prices of all the work.....knowing body work prices here, and the work involved, I can not see this being possible for Less than an M. I love modding just live everybody else, I love the excitement of a build. But lets be real here gents...this seems pointless. Your car had to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35k used (USD) and the bodywork and everyhing else must be in the 10-15k range right? Or maybe more....how is that 2/3 less? And Im not even counting the go-fast goodies...

Why not opt for an 08 or 09 M3 out there? Is the price really that much more in AU? I really am against the M3 conversion....and i know the V-8 and M in general is way more reliable then our twin turbo'd six's.....Maybe its the fenders that really bother me....idk...I just think it is way tacky to fake an M....but thats my opinion. I dont know who could justify doing this to emulate a car you could prob have for a couple grand more with full warranty...

In the US, I truely agree with you and you point is very valid, but the same point does not hold true in Australia, as for the work being done to the car, its a collaborattive effort between three workshops, launching under the one banner, a good deal was struck for all the work. Pricing will be posted when the car is completed.

I love my 335i, but I wanted, and still want, an e92 M3....My money was not right at the time (lost investments, baught house...etc, etc) and I got raped on lease return damage and expenses with my previous car...So in short I got a used 335i instead of an 08-09 M3. I did not choose this car bc of the fuel consumption or bc of the tunability of the TT's.....in fact I am finding out by more visits to the dealership and reading more on here, 335 reliability is shit and I am very concerned for the long term. I chose this car bc it looked good, handled well, had all the options I wanted, I got a good deal on it...and was one of the best looking coupes on the market. But I will state this---> All current e9x 335i OWNERS SECRETLY WANT M3's and would trash/trade/sell thier project 335's (and maybe thier soles! lol) without hesitation... if they could get one... lol

Not hating..the car is beautiful....just my 2 cents.
No offence taken , you raise thought out and intelligent points but I wouldn't give up my car to go to a stock standard M3, honestly as the only parts I truely love about the M3 is the body.....although if I had enough money, a e92 M3 with Amuse Kit, supercharged and 20" daily rims in individual color and interior would be sooooo hard to say no to, but then there are so many other cars in that price range.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandy View Post
shit ride saferisk. :P LOL. just jk, u know who I am.
You US folks get yours cars a lot cheaper than here in OZ.
LOL, it's almost as shit as yours will be when its finished! Guys, watch out for icandy, its another beast in the making!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2drums View Post
looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Kidracer View Post
He's in Australia, the car prices there are way higher than the US. And in Singapore, a 335i could buy you 2 M3s in the US.

Can't wait to see the completion of this conversion!
Thanks bro!
Quote:
I am really interested to see how much more expensive our cars are there....I may have to remove my foot from my mouth! lol
LOL we all do it at one stage or another, no worries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
One of the best project I have seen on this board. Good job!!!
I'm honoured!
Quote:
No effin way!!!!??? really? Damn do you need a BMW that bad? Jesus If I were in AU I would just get the equivalent of the GTO or some cheap badass car we cant get here in the US! Man.... status symbols in Singapore must be more important to you guys then us filthy Americans! lol

Learned something new...
LOL I love BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear_Fan View Post
Its the import tax. Its the same in Taiwan. I visited a BMW Dealership there and i saw the price of a 335i coupe to be 3,000,000NT (New Taiwan Dollars). 1USD = roughly 32NT so that equals about $93,750. I don't know if thats base MSRP or not but still daymn.
unfortunately still cheaper than AU
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Looks great, cannot wait for the finished product
No too much longer now!
      03-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #202
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkraven View Post
that is amazing! are those rear fender flares custom? i searched for such and found none.
Prefabricated and then custom moulded! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Lover View Post
+1

To the OP: I was wondering why you didn't go with a M3, until you mentioned you're from AU. It's totally clear now.

Great project! It's rare to see a car enthuaist who is willing to go through all this trouble to make something unique and fun to drive.

The other thing is, you already have a Turbo to play with. You don't need to spend another 15,000USD or more to get a Turbo into M3's NA Engine to go lot faster.
Thanks you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_taylor View Post
a 335i coupe in Thailand is $180k. m3 is $220k. we get taxed on engine size. for a damn 320i peice of shit in thailand which is $85k btw, you could buy a brand new m3 here and mod the hell out of it. in some cases it is status but I must admit, a lot of people in thailand just love cars, they do not flaunt it, they buy cause they like it and luckily for them, some can afford to pay $220k for an m3, $400k for an m5 and and $650k for an f430. it is not uncommon for the some to have 2mill worth of cars in their garage, I know it is the exact same way in singapore.

Though I do not like the conversion either, for the money, this guy is doing something awesome, not only is he getting a faster car, he is doing something unique and at the same time, saving money while having a fully custom car for less than a stock m3. that is just wicked man
prices in thailand Dude, you're making me blush but thanks for the awesome comment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
+1000.

To all those asking about why not just buy an M3 please read OPs 1st post. He is from Australia where an E92 M3 would cost about $180k on the road without options. Whereas an E92 335 is about $110k.

Sorry to digress. Great post by the way. Loving how its tastefully done.
nothing more needs saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
subscribed
      03-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #203
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey man, I'm going to do the rear fenders too! What were some of the requirements that you need for widening the rear fenders? Was it a specific "offset" you were aiming for? Or you told him to just widen it more than the front?
It was predetermined width as the fenders are prefabricated but there is some custom adjustments required for the wheels and tires as I went for 285/35 rears
      03-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #204
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by saferisk View Post
It was predetermined width as the fenders are prefabricated but there is some custom adjustments required for the wheels and tires as I went for 285/35 rears
How did you come to this predeterminination size? Was it solely based off wheels + tires? I'm about to do the same thing and would love to get some more ideas in how i should approach this!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #205
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How did you come to this predeterminination size? Was it solely based off wheels + tires? I'm about to do the same thing and would love to get some more ideas in how i should approach this!
It was part of the kit I had fabricated for me from overseas but from my point of view if I had to do this again I would get the fabicated purely from metal and fit the widest rims possible without looking ridiculous!

From my point of view, you dont want a pear shaped car and nor a car that looks like its gone crazy on steroids, it should also be balanced with what you do with the front fenders and what you want to achieve with the car.

Happy to discuss in more detail offline, pm with your email
      03-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #206
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

this is a crazy project and is coming along nicely :-)
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #207
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

keep the good work comin'!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #208
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Seems pretty cool but my observations are:

1) you're not really tinkering with anything. afaik, you're having a shop do this correct? just making a point.

2) something is off about that paint. hopefully they wetsand the entire car and finish it up.

3) god forbid anything happens to your car, there goes all your money. you would be better off getting a real M3.

good luck though i'm sure you'll be happy!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #209
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

For all of you that INSIST on posting comments like "just get an M3".. you really just don't get it at all do you?

SAFERISK IS NOT MAKING AN M3.. Its a modded 335i with, for all intents and purposes an M3 body kit.

NA V8 Vs TT I6, they are totally different beasts.. I have been in the "turbo" scene for some time now, and would ALWAYS choose a good T4/6 over an NA V8 (TT V8 would be a different story )

So to all of you out there that insist on suggesting the purchase of an M3, read the OP, and commend the owner for an incredible build..

On a personal note.. Saferisk, where abouts in Melbourne are you based? I float between Sydney & Melbourne regularly (live in Perth) would genuinely love to have a chat with you offline and discuss your experiences
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #210
skow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 Gran Coupe xDrive

Very cool, keep the updates coming!

(and you dont have to respond to all the people who didn't read the thread and simply reply "just buy an M3 )
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #211
Stratos
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F22 220d

As for the pricing, just a note:

I Noway cars get taxed for weight, horepower, emissions, and lots more...

Base 335i = $145k
Base E92 M3 = $250k (base in norway means BASE. all the things you think is standard; its not)
Loaded E92 M3 = $280k

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #212
smihalik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
As for the pricing, just a note:

I Noway cars get taxed for weight, horepower, emissions, and lots more...

Base 335i = $145k
Base E92 M3 = $250k (base in norway means BASE. all the things you think is standard; its not)
Loaded E92 M3 = $280k

I'm seeing all of these numbers thrown around. When people quote these prices, are they quoting in USD? Is salary and cost of living comparable? If so, then I am one lucky SOB to live in Canada, even though we pay 30% more than the US for out cars. It seems the rest of the world pays 3 times as much.

I mean christ $250k for an m3? I can buy a loaded R8 5.2 for that here and still have enough money left over for a brand new 335.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #213
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Ferrari colour? You are respraying it back into gray? come on, why? I was looking forward to some nice red paint! But it looks very good, i think that upgraded 335 has its own appeal and probably for everyday is a better car anyway. I like the conversion, the only problem i see with this is that once you are done, you realise that you now have a stock looking bmw albeit M3... so question is how's your mod bug gonna handle it?
      03-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #214
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihalik View Post
I'm seeing all of these numbers thrown around. When people quote these prices, are they quoting in USD? Is salary and cost of living comparable? If so, then I am one lucky SOB to live in Canada, even though we pay 30% more than the US for out cars. It seems the rest of the world pays 3 times as much.

I mean christ $250k for an m3? I can buy a loaded R8 5.2 for that here and still have enough money left over for a brand new 335.
salaries are high in nordic contries but taxes are just as high, 50% is quite common i would say across the board and for those who make more it may be worse. Not too familiar with Norway but Sweden is bad and Finland not so much. Denmark is bad as well. But if you use the public transport in Denmark for example you'll see where the money went. If in US based on this board anyway, every man and his dog seems to drive 335 or M3, back home these things are very rare to see. Also chances are they'd be debadged. In Switzerland I've seen a ton of audi RS6 and BMW M5s Tourings without badges. Sleeper done proper.
      03-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #215
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

Man, a lot of haters here. Why did you pick that color, why not buy the M3 (read the thread!), you should've done this...

Saferisk, this car looks taste modded. Not over the top, ricey but leaning towards OEM class look, sporty and tasteful, keeping the lines that make the E92 beautiful and enhancing them subtly. I get your desire of modifying your choice of car and customizing how you like it instead of a stock M3. It might not be my preference but I appreciate the effort and the looks of the result. About the grey color, I was excited when you said Ferrari color as I wanted to see an E92 in Ferrari red but in the end, you like Grey tone and the difference between this one and Space Grey is significant, I like it a lot more.

Good luck and looking forward to the end result!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #216
Hustler001
Iran
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i 2008, porsche gts 2008

bro install the JB3 or change the engine for a m5 ( if fit ) or the new 4.4 twin turbo from a x5m/x6m.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #217
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Big to your brotha! I don't think I can ever take on a project like this but I'm sure it will be all worth it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #218
M3prsiv
RACER X
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M3

Mods

I guess if you can't wait for the next gen M3, make one. TT-6 M. You are gonna have more pride knowing that you built this, than anyone thats bought a car off the show room floor will. Awesome job.
16 M3 Sedan 6spd CCB
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #219
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Sounds like its gona be a 1 of a kind. Enjoy!!!
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #220
zesus-3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

OP.....Thanks for the explanation of everything, and I must say you handled the criticism like a gentleman...lots of respect! Like I said, I love the car, and in actuality this car seems like a multi-shop-project and less of a "personal-tinkering" job....Respect nonetheless! Is this going to be a daily?

For you guys that posted the oversees prices! Holy Sh*t! I would be riding a bicycle or a motorcycle or something other than a BMW. Really is the BMW roundel that necessary to have? I mean thats Bentley money here, used Lambo/Ferarii money here..either you guys are insane about BMW's, or highly irresponsible with your money. IDK
Appreciate 0