E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Nav/iDrive/iPhone/iPod/USB

03-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Nav/iDrive/iPhone/iPod/USB

Can someone clue me in on exactly what I will need in my car, in order to 'integrate' my iPod (and.or iPhone). If I have Pro Nav, and the 'old' iDrive, but no USB, what will I be able to do? How can I control my iPod through the screen in the binnacle, or via the iDrive?

What difference will USB audio make?

What are the differences, in this respect, between Pro and Business Nav?

Even with Pro Nav, I take it I won't be able to punch in a PostCode? I think I read that only the very latest setups support that feature? And if not, er, how does the Sat Nav work then?

Any other general advice? Aside from SatNav, what benefits do iDrive/Nav bring?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Spaceman330D
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330D Msport

i have pro i drive in my 05 e91 too and want to know how to control the i pod via it (i also don`t have usb) so look forward to any answers you get.

do you think we could reto fit the usb cable them use a normal usb aux ipod lead.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman330D View Post
i have pro i drive in my 05 e91 too and want to know how to control the i pod via it (i also don`t have usb) so look forward to any answers you get.

do you think we could reto fit the usb cable them use a normal usb aux ipod lead.
I think I read that the USB is a possible retro-fit option, but very expensive.

On my current car, I have no nav or iDrive or anything like that. I've often wondered why they put the AUX port in the arm rest. To connect my iPod, I had to imort a cable from the United States as only really crappy aux cables were available here. Then of course i have to run that cable out of the armrest, be shutting the armrest down on the cable, no doubt doing cable and armrest no favours, so that I then have access to my iPod, which rests, ill-fittingly but at least accessibly, in the little slot or 'bin' in front of the armrest, which of course won't be there on a car with iDrive. It's a very imperfect setup to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Have you got bluetooth?

If you have you can add the USB module for around £250 including coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Have you got bluetooth?

If you have you can add the USB module for around £250 including coding.
That's not too bad. So if I buy a car with Bluetooth I cab get them to do the USB install before I pick the car up? Maybe also get an Alpina hifi upgrade done too, possibly negotiate a price?

BTW, Gizze, I have come round to your way if thinking on the nav in general: although I'm not overly keen on that second 'bunnacle' in the dash, I reckon it would be a mistake to buy a car without nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Cars with 'no nav' and bluetooth have the expensive module for usb already as the bluetoot/usb module is the same thing.
So you can buy the usb hub and cables for around £150 and then get someone to code it when you have fitted it for between £60-120.

BMW won't do this as far as I know. This was 2009 when I did mine, they said it couldn't be done, things may have changed.

Cars with Nav may not have the correct module for bluetooth.
The nav has voice control built in, so on nav cars they use a cheaper bluetooth module that is not also a USB module.

However, sometimes depending on stocks of modules I guess you do get the USB module on cars with Nav, all very tricky.

I have been looking at another E91 and I am amazed at how many nav equipped cars don't have USB.
We just bought an F10 520d touring and it has everything on it, but no bloody USB!!
I didn't even realise it was an option when looking, thought it was standard, but only since 2011.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Spaceman330D
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330D Msport

iv got the bluetooth with my nav so where would i get the parts from anyone got any idea?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cars with 'no nav' and bluetooth have the expensive module for usb already as the bluetoot/usb module is the same thing.
So you can buy the usb hub and cables for around £150 and then get someone to code it when you have fitted it for between £60-120.

BMW won't do this as far as I know. This was 2009 when I did mine, they said it couldn't be done, things may have changed.

Cars with Nav may not have the correct module for bluetooth.
The nav has voice control built in, so on nav cars they use a cheaper bluetooth module that is not also a USB module.

However, sometimes depending on stocks of modules I guess you do get the USB module on cars with Nav, all very tricky.

I have been looking at another E91 and I am amazed at how many nav equipped cars don't have USB.
We just bought an F10 520d touring and it has everything on it, but no bloody USB!!
I didn't even realise it was an option when looking, thought it was standard, but only since 2011.

Yeah, I guess people don't spec it because teh dealers don't make them aware of how important it is.

One thing I miss about my old Golf: it still had a cassette player in it, so you can buy a nice cheap cassette/ipod attachment *and* that lets you skip back and forth through tracks on the ipod using the cassette player back.fwd buttons.

Another thing I've noticed is that, as late as 2008/2009, some people were still speccing a CD Changer. I mean, what use is that?!

Of course, worst of all is that there are currently a total of 8 automatic 330i models on the AUC listings (up to 4 years old, up to 40,000 miles). And tehre are currently zero in the right colour/spec combination for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
sattapaal
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE Saloon

Garage List
2007 330d SE  [0.00]
is there not a way of upgrading the hard drive and sticking the Maps on that?

does it even have an hard drive? (non i-drive BMW driver here).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Not at that age, only from 2010 build.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not at that age, only from 2010 build.
So how useful is the pre-2010 Nav?

WHat else is handily integrated into the screen in teh binnacle?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

It is fine, but not a patch on the 2010 system.

I am using my car as a work tool, and now seriously considering a 320d sport edition plus or whatever it is called, I used to get around 45mg from my ED 320d auto and that was with the wider wheels on, when I first got it on the 17" M-Sport wheels it was giving me around 4-5mpg more, so I may get one of these on a 60 plate with the latest nav etc. and just enjoy wafting in it.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman330D View Post
iv got the bluetooth with my nav so where would i get the parts from anyone got any idea?
BMW dealer.

You need the USB retrofit kit.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=65&fg=95

Check you have the ULF High in your boot, that is the expensive bit you need.

What year etc. is your car?
Appreciate 0