E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 3M Di-NOC CF vinyl install questions

03-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
3M Di-NOC CF vinyl install questions

So I've seen some members on here with the CF vinyl roof and I love it. I don't want to spend $400 getting it installed so I want to do it myself. I'm pretty sure I can do it with the help of a few friends but I have a few questions. How do I take off the trim along the sides of the car, where the roof rack flaps are? The shark fin? And what do I do as far as the front and rear windshield seals? Do I leave them on and cut the vinyl so it just lines up against it? I'm guessing I can't take them off.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Di-Noc isn't the easiest material to work with because: A) It's expensive B) Requires heating to soften the material to contour it to the curves and edges. With all those questions, I wouldn't have the confidence to tackle a project like this.
      03-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
Di-Noc isn't the easiest material to work with because: A) It's expensive B) Requires heating to soften the material to contour it to the curves and edges. With all those questions, I wouldn't have the confidence to tackle a project like this.
      03-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
The adhesive 3M uses is pressure sensitive so heat is not required. It's only about $120 for the amount I need and the roof is flat with no contours to really form to so I think it will be easy. I'm planning on having a person at each corner and to have 2 people uses squeegees to apply the vinyl/get the bubbles out. I'm also going to use soapy water to make it easier. The worst the soap can do is take the wax off. I think windex is too strong and I also think it will damage the paint. JW, do you have any first hand experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
If I didn't, why would I be offering some suggestions? We just did an E46 M3, E60 525, and E92. To prep the car, my installer just used some clayed the crap out of the roof and dried it with some microfiber.

That's an E46 M3 we did. Have you felt the Di-Noc? It isn't vinyl, it's a thicker... plastic like even. Reminds me of a dry CF weave. Is it out of the question to DIY? Of course not! The edges are the hardest part.

Last edited by huyner328; 03-25-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
If I didn't, why would I be offering some suggestions? We just did an E46 M3, E60 525, and E92. To prep the car, my installer just used some clayed the crap out of the roof and dried it with some microfiber.

That's an E46 M3 we did. Have you felt the Di-Noc? It isn't vinyl, it's a thicker... plastic like even. Reminds me of a dry CF weave. Is it out of the question to DIY? Of course not! The edges are the hardest part.
Any tips for the edges. I've seen some videos on it and the sales rep claims 3M has this special technology to let bubbles slide out the edges. But as she was applying it, it looked like something I could do. I consider myself pretty technically inclined and I tend to grasp things fairly quickly. I haven't checked yet but if the seal lifts up a tiny bit, I can cut the vinyl slightly over the seal and tuck it under. Thanks, just wanted to make sure I got a definite answer.

Ohh I also noticed that the trim on the edges weren't wrapped. Like on e90's there is a strip along the edge that is contains a flap for the roof rack mounts. Do you by any chance know how to remove that?

Last edited by fdriller9; 03-25-2010 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
They're clipped in for the 08' E92 we were working on, you can just pry them out with caution. You can certainly tuck it under the weather sealing, just be careful not to mess up the edges of the seal or it'll result in an install that looks cheap. Clean under the weather sealing!

Since the Di-Noc is a slightly thicker material, we didn't really WANT to wrap the rails on that E92 due to the width. With their width, it's just takes a little more work to get a nice looking install. It looks fantastic without the rails wrapped for a more OEM look.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
They're clipped in for the 08' E92 we were working on, you can just pry them out with caution. You can certainly tuck it under the weather sealing, just be careful not to mess up the edges of the seal or it'll result in an install that looks cheap. Clean under the weather sealing!

Since the Di-Noc is a slightly thicker material, we didn't really WANT to wrap the rails on that E92 due to the width. With their width, it's just takes a little more work to get a nice looking install. It looks fantastic without the rails wrapped for a more OEM look.
Yea I checked under the weather seal today and I never realized how dirty it is under there! Do you have any more pictures? I have felt it before I got a 2 x2 sample. I'm also thinking about wrapping the black trim around my side view mirrors. I don't really like the CF mirror cover look but I think the black trim would look nice. Also thinking about wrapping my interior trim with it. I'm just kinda 50/50 on that though because I have a tan interior. I think silver CF would look better. We'll see. If I have enough left over, why not? I can always take it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Another question...when removing the shark fin, I understand you need to heat up the epoxy that is holding it in place. Any tips? Where should I start? I know you can dent the roof. What should I use to re-apply it? 3M double sided tape?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Yea I checked under the weather seal today and I never realized how dirty it is under there! Do you have any more pictures? I have felt it before I got a 2 x2 sample. I'm also thinking about wrapping the black trim around my side view mirrors. I don't really like the CF mirror cover look but I think the black trim would look nice. Also thinking about wrapping my interior trim with it. I'm just kinda 50/50 on that though because I have a tan interior. I think silver CF would look better. We'll see. If I have enough left over, why not? I can always take it off.
Good idea on the black trim, I may have to steal that to see how it looks. Couldn't hurt with some spare vinyl! What kind of pictures are you looking for? I don't have anything specific to the installation process but more so finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Another question...when removing the shark fin, I understand you need to heat up the epoxy that is holding it in place. Any tips? Where should I start? I know you can dent the roof. What should I use to re-apply it? 3M double sided tape?
Yea, just heat it up and pull. You can even use some tool that'll get under the fin to help you tear away that epoxy then use some goof to remove the left over adhesive once the fin is removed. I would use some 3M tape, JUST in case you have to re-do the roof, the fin will be easy to remove. You can either paint or wrap the fin as well. Takes about 3 or so small pieces to wrap the fin properly.
      03-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Good idea on the black trim, I may have to steal that to see how it looks. Couldn't hurt with some spare vinyl! What kind of pictures are you looking for? I don't have anything specific to the installation process but more so finished product.
I'm concerned with the sunroof area. I have looked at it and well it's kinda hard for me to get my fingers in there and wrap the vinyl around in some parts, mainly the side edges. I was thinking about the mirror trim and I see that it's not just around the mirror. It extends past, where he driver/passenger can see it when in the car. I'll be getting my vinyl either this friday or monday.

Quote:
Yea, just heat it up and pull. You can even use some tool that'll get under the fin to help you tear away that epoxy then use some goof to remove the left over adhesive once the fin is removed. I would use some 3M tape, JUST in case you have to re-do the roof, the fin will be easy to remove. You can either paint or wrap the fin as well. Takes about 3 or so small pieces to wrap the fin properly.
Thanks. 3 pieces, really? I was thinking I could just wrap the thing with one and use a heat gun to let it stretch to the curves. Have any pictures of that? Any seems noticeable? I saw a video that had a really good technique for extending vinyl. Basically you overlap it, then cut down the middle of the overlap, and peel the 2 strips off and then the middle line should line up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep

Garage List
You could try one piece, not sure how you'd contour to the surface facing the rear of the car. / | \ is how one guy did it... looked great, can't really tell where he seamed everything together. I'll try to get you some pictures of what we did with the sunroof.
      02-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

any pictures of the final product? what problems did you run into? any alternatives to the di-noc material?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
any pictures of the final product? what problems did you run into? any alternatives to the di-noc material?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371023

Its all explained there...as far as alternatives go, theres now a gloss version. Not sure about other brands.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
detailinguy99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I have personally used this material and it is by far one of the best products I have ever used. I did my interior so the outside is def harder but with friends you shouldn't have a problem. Def use a heat gun. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
      03-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

Wrap

Ordered a big piece yesterday.
Want to wrap the interior pieces on my 330 in black cf, but thought I'd practice on my Pathfinder, so I ordered the graphite for that vehicle.
Kind of looking forward to it. Kind of. If I could find somebody reputable, local & experienced, I would have just had it done.
Gonna get the heat gun tomorrow.
I'll post my experiences..... or tears.
Appreciate 0