E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Need to drop.... 50lbs? help

04-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
lol the site said 4lbs a week by diet alone, which is why I thought it wouldnt be safe lol

im 5'9" 250lbs

Very thick build, so I know i will never be a "skinny guy" my bone structure doesnt allow it.
Here we go again with the big boned crap and Ill never be skinny, thats another good one

Its all BS. Fat peoples bones look no different than thin peoples bones. The only thing limiting your success is you're head

In just over 6 months I lost over 70lbs, and very little of my success had to do with visits to the gym.

Most of it is just eating right, eating less, having self control and moving around more

Your main focus at first should be nutrition, don't get overwhelmed by trying to do too much at once in regards to running, jogging, going to the gym, ect

Pay attention to what you are putting into your mouth, choose quality foods. Know exactly how many calories you are taking in each day.

Last edited by lvwirelessguy; 04-28-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

^^ Winner
      04-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I started dieting about 6 weeks ago and I lost a bit from changing my diet. I stopped drinking soda and eating less which was hard at first but after a while your body starts to tell you that you are full on less food.

Another big thing was watching my calorie intake, no more unhealthy easily accessible food for lunch, I almost always eat at subways for lunch now and they have some pretty good choices if you want to keep your calories down. I eat steaks often but with no french fries, usually a cup of couscous. I changed my bread to the low calorie bread, switched to skimmed milk and limit my dairy intake to as little as possible.

I don't go to the gym but I did just start using a recumbent exercise bike which is boring as hell at first but now I use my iPad and read as I spend 30 minutes a day exercising. I've been doing it in the evenings but after reading this thread I think I will try first thing in the morning to see if that helps, I'm also going to try drinking the ice cold water idea too. So thanks everyone for the extra tips.

My wife and I use fitclick.com, works for us a a tracker, you might want to give it a look.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #26
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i View Post
I started dieting about 6 weeks ago and I lost a bit from changing my diet. I stopped drinking soda and eating less which was hard at first but after a while your body starts to tell you that you are full on less food.

Another big thing was watching my calorie intake, no more unhealthy easily accessible food for lunch, I almost always eat at subways for lunch now and they have some pretty good choices if you want to keep your calories down. I eat steaks often but with no french fries, usually a cup of couscous. I changed my bread to the low calorie bread, switched to skimmed milk and limit my dairy intake to as little as possible.

I don't go to the gym but I did just start using a recumbent exercise bike which is boring as hell at first but now I use my iPad and read as I spend 30 minutes a day exercising. I've been doing it in the evenings but after reading this thread I think I will try first thing in the morning to see if that helps, I'm also going to try drinking the ice cold water idea too. So thanks everyone for the extra tips.

My wife and I use fitclick.com, works for us a a tracker, you might want to give it a look.

Good Luck.
How do you keep your heart-rate anywhere near significant to lose weight while reading on the iPad simultaneously?
      04-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
xxp0loxx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 Space Gray ACS

1st priority: Exercise, 3+ days a week, 30-45 min of cardio (if you're not covered in sweat by 20-30min, ur exercise is lacking and requires more effort)
2nd: Eat smart, not salads and not cheese burgers. Control your portions, if you get hungry grab something small and healthy. Stock up on good snacks, get rid of the bad. dont eat 5 hours prior to going to bed.
3rd: continued determination...prob should be 1st priority, but whatever.

Source:
I lost 40 pounds in two months.
Morning cardio (biked for 45m, BS calorie counter avg 500/workout, all that mattered is I sweated and felt good about my workout)......5days a week
2 afternoon workouts with shop. I’m military; it’s a fading benefit of my job. Usually consisted of 30m of random body work outs and a 1.5Mile or 5k run (3.2M)

Only drank water

Breakfast:
A reasonable portion of food. this is your first meal, and the one you can get away with the most. bacon will not fuk up your entire health plan, but its not the best alternative out there.

Lunch:
Ate a small deli sandwich, piece of varying fruit
Throughout the day, id get hungry about 10am and 3pm, my healthy snack of choice was a single serving of tuna (~$1 per pack, 2 packs a day)

Dinner:
Lean meat (chicken, fish, turkey in place of beef)
Vegetables

Remember to change it up, dont eat the same shit every day or you will fail. You get bored, aggrevated and you will give up.

And the determination to get where you WANT to be

Last edited by xxp0loxx; 04-29-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #28
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxp0loxx View Post
1st priority: Exercise, 3+ days a week, 30-45 min of cardio (if you're not covered in sweat by 20-30min, ur exercise is lacking and requires more effort)
2nd: Eat smart, not salads and not cheese burgers. Control your portions, if you get hungry grab something small and healthy. Stock up on good snacks, get rid of the bad. dont eat 5 hours prior to going to bed.

Source:
I lost 40 pounds in two months.
Morning cardio (biked for 45m, BS calorie counter avg 500/workout, all that mattered is I sweated and felt good about my workout)......5days a week
2 afternoon workouts with shop. I’m military; it’s a fading benefit of my job. Usually consisted of 30m of random body work outs and a 1.5Mile or 5k run (3.2M)

Only drank water

Breakfast:
A reasonable portion of food. this is your first meal, and the one you can get away with the most. bacon will not fuk up your entire health plan, but its not the best alternative out there.

Lunch:
Ate a small deli sandwich, piece of varying fruit
Throughout the day, id get hungry about 10am and 3pm, my healthy snack of choice was a single serving of tuna (~$1 per pack, 2 packs a day)

Dinner:
Lean meat (chicken, fish, turkey in place of beef)
Vegetables

Remember to change it up, dont eat the same shit every day or you will fail. You get bored, aggrevated and you will give up.

And the determination to get where you WANT to be
You have some good points, but nutrition has always got to be the #1 priority.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #29
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxp0loxx View Post
......... WANT to be
Meal timing is irrelevant - that myth has been 'debunked.'

I like some of your suggestions, however you are recommending a meal plan without total calories or P/C/F's listed - not a good idea.
      04-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #30
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
Here we go again with the big boned crap and Ill never be skinny, thats another good one

Its all BS. Fat peoples bones look no different than thin peoples bones. The only thing limiting your success is you're head

In just over 6 months I lost over 70lbs, and very little of my success had to do with visits to the gym.

Most of it is just eating right, eating less, having self control and moving around more

Your main focus at first should be nutrition, don't get overwhelmed by trying to do too much at once in regards to running, jogging, going to the gym, ect

Pay attention to what you are putting into your mouth, choose quality foods. Know exactly how many calories you are taking in each day.

Wow looking good man (no homo)

But I still wouldn't call you "skinny", your fit for sure - but not skinny.

While you lost a lot of weight, you still have a larger build of a person, so fit/healthy/normal - yes, but Skinny I don't think so.

I am on a diet, and so far have had a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast today(no butter, sugar, or syrup), probably a grilled chicken breast and veggies for lunch and a salad for dinner, then to the gym again.

Last night I weighed in, and Im down to 2lbs. 30 minutes of jogging on the treadmill really works out, along with a diet and we're going back tonight.

Im wondering what you guys actually eat? Do you have any recipes you'd like to share (i don't eat fish, but anything else is fair game)

Day 3:
248lbs Working heart rate of 163, resting of 115

Feeling better then I was

Thanks again for all the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #31
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
^^ whoa.. you have resting heart rate of 115BPM? That is pretty scary. When and how are you taking the resting heartbeat number?

Congrats on the start of losing some weight!

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
the key to weight loss is diet+exercise. so many people foul up on the diet side though.

keep this in mind:

Sugar intake means your body is burning sugars instead of your own fat. The less sugar you eat, the more of your own fat your body will burn. This isn't a sprint, its a marathon, every day means a little bit towards a larger goal. That is sometimes hard for people to do so just work in chunks, days lead to weeks, weeks into months and so on. I lost 30 lbs a few years ago by limiting my sugar/carb intake (most carbs turn into sugar when processed by your body) and only working out 3 times a week for about an hour. It can be much faster if you work out more but remember your body will then want to EAT more also. You need to find the happy medium and then push yourself a little to the unhappy side of still eating just a little less than you should in the carb/sugar dept. I'm a mega sweet tooth and trust me its hard. I'm trying to drop another 10lbs before my wedding right now, I run about 20-25 miles a week along with basketball and weight lifting mixed in there. I have changed my diet around again but the sweets are my downfall and the reason these last 10lbs are so hard to drop. Its not like cupcakes and candy bars either. Breads mostly, also my super hard to break habit of sugary cereal for breakfast (Capt'n Crunch). If you can master cutting these significantly if not all together and keep a regular workout schedule of at least 3 days a week for an hour (will need more as you lose more weight) then you'll be successful.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #33
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
^^ whoa.. you have resting heart rate of 115BPM? That is pretty scary. When and how are you taking the resting heartbeat number?

Congrats on the start of losing some weight!
Well sitting at a desk im sure it's lower, but after some stretches and loosening before the treadmill that's what it was
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #34
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow looking good man (no homo)

But I still wouldn't call you "skinny", your fit for sure - but not skinny.

While you lost a lot of weight, you still have a larger build of a person, so fit/healthy/normal - yes, but Skinny I don't think so.

I am on a diet, and so far have had a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast today(no butter, sugar, or syrup), probably a grilled chicken breast and veggies for lunch and a salad for dinner, then to the gym again.

Last night I weighed in, and Im down to 2lbs. 30 minutes of jogging on the treadmill really works out, along with a diet and we're going back tonight.

Im wondering what you guys actually eat? Do you have any recipes you'd like to share (i don't eat fish, but anything else is fair game)

Day 3:
248lbs Working heart rate of 163, resting of 115

Feeling better then I was

Thanks again for all the help guys!
Keep up the good work!

I've lost a little weight since that pic, I am 6'1" currently 167lbs

I don't have a set daily diet, but there are some foods I eat regularly. Once you get going with this, its possible to even eat healthy on the go at literally any restaurant. Even at McDonald's

Greek Yogurt, wish I had started eating this back in September. Maybe the thing I look forward to most each day

6" subs from Subway, normally turkey, lots of veggies, mustard. No cheese, mayo or other sauces

Baja Steak or chicken Salad from Baja Fresh, No cheese or tortilla strips. I use Kraft Light Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing. Put on very little , cover the salad & shake it so that a little dressing goes a long way

Turkey Burger from Carls Jr, wrapped with lettuce, no mayo, no sauces, no cheese

Benefiber Orange powder to mix with water ( very important since I prefer to stay regular and I don't eat much bread anymore ) I try to drink around 1 gallon of water per day

Naked chicken tenders at Buffalo Wild Wings

Mini cup of FroYo from Golden Spoon or TCBY for a treat , Pretzel M&Ms are also a favorite since its only 150 calories from a package and they are low in fat

Grilled chicken snack wrap at McD , no dressing, no cheese

Egg McMuffin at McD , no cheese

Whopper Jr. at Burger King , No ketchup, no mayo, no cheese

Even on days when you don't plan on hitting the gym, little things like parking further away do help
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #35
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

I just made two servings of Fiber One Pancakes with Protein Sludge (Two scoops protein powder mixed with a little water to turn into a thick soup + tbsp of PB).

Two slices bacon.

751 Cals

31.9g Fat

83.6g Carbs

50.6 Protein

PS I didn't finish it all so I lowered the stats a bit.
      04-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #36
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

Quote:
Maybe I will start a journal on here for it, lol.

4-28-11:
Jogged a mile last night, felt like dieing. Woke up today and felt better, but tired. Ate some oatmeal and off to work.

Light Chicken for lunch, just salt and pepper with some bell peppers

Gym tonight at 10 or 11pm (hopefully)

update tomorrow, with a weight in also

Don't jog! Jogging isn't OK for anyone accept some ectomorphs. It will just fatigue your joints and muscles and demotivate you from working out. Do use the bike, elliptical machine, and brisk walking.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #37
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

start with some serious cardio. eat often but don't eat a lot.
eat two to three hours before you go to bed. so if you sleep at 11 eat @ 8 no later

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #38
SpaceG135i
WTF was that, Was it your car?
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i Space Grey Red Interi

Quote:
Hey Guys ,
Some of you know me some don't, but I am not the most slender person on e90post that's for sure. So I joined a Gym and have a buddy who is a personal trainer going to train me, but Im basically asking for any tips or pointers to making food that doesnt taste horrible but still enables me to drop pounds.

I have a messed up schedule and am often times up in the gym at 2am, and then back to work at 8 am.

Supplements are also appreciated if you've used/use them - not steroids, or growth hormones LOL

Thanks in advance.
All i have to say is try the Paleo diet for a month. It is 99% the reason why i have lost so much weight in the past two months It is definitely something that works as long as you do what your supposed to.

This is what i used http://primalblueprint.com/

Its a great book with recipes that are amazing. I lost 25 pounds in 2 months, so i know if i can do it you most likely can.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #39
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
I just made two servings of Fiber One Pancakes with Protein Sludge (Two scoops protein powder mixed with a little water to turn into a thick soup + tbsp of PB).

Two slices bacon.

751 Cals

31.9g Fat

83.6g Carbs

50.6 Protein

Wow thats a lot of Carbs, shouldn't I be eating more protein then carbs?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #40
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, you want to go high protein, low fat, low carb

That is not a good example of a meal someone looking to lose weight should be eating

For a full day you want to be taking in 2000 calories or less.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #41
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Stop eating cup cakes you Fat Fuk! LOL! J/K

Actually, what worked for me was the following:

- at least 7.5 to 8 hours of sleep per night
- Lots of water (about 1 gallon per day)
- No sugary drinks (I drink my coffee black)
- I eat Special K or Quaker cereal with fat free milk every morning (vitamin D is important for weight loss).
- I eat Lean Cuisines or Healthy Choice for lunch almost everyday (5 for $10; save money and lose weight).
- My mid afternoon snack consists of a Chobani 0% fat yogurt and an apple
- My dinner is a regular portion of what ever my wife cooks up (nothing fried and somewhat balanced).
- My late evening/night snack normally consists of some fruit, carrot juice, cheese or even a small sandwich sometimes.

I probably average 1500-2000 cal per day.

I have been doing this for three years now and I dropped from 230lb to about 195 and have maintained (I'm 6ft tall).

In the winter I don't workout much but starting in the spring and summer I walk with the wife and go on occasional bike rides.

Hope this helps!
SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #42
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post

Two slices bacon.

751 Cals

31.9g Fat

83.6g Carbs

50.6 Protein

Uhhh....this will not help you lose weight. This sounds like what i used to eat during the bulking phase when I used to bodybuild.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #43
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

Quote:
Keep up the good work!

I've lost a little weight since that pic, I am 6'1" currently 167lbs
That is a bit on the skinny side for that height and frame.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #44
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Uhhh....this will not help you lose weight. This sounds like what i used to eat during the bulking phase when I used to bodybuild.

-SZ

One meal is irrelevant in the entire scheme of the day. There is nothing wrong with carbs.

Hitting your overall calorie goal and P/C/F is what's important.

Use your brains - if you take in more carbs in the AM, take in less throughout the day.

herp derp

Quote:
Yes, you want to go high protein, low fat, low carb

That is not a good example of a meal someone looking to lose weight should be eating

For a full day you want to be taking in 2000 calories or less.

Um he weight 250lbs. His burns 3500 cals a day doing nothing. Anything less than 2k calories is fucking high school girl status.

_________
OP I already told you to cut calories to 2,500 and shoot to lose 2lbs a week.

If you don't want to count everything you take in (which I do so I can manage to have pancakes like a grown man), just have a meals with good amounts of P/C/F.

FWIW This is my day, every day on a slow bulk 5'9 160lbs @ 10% BF

2,585 Cals

95.7 Fat

233.6 Carb

185.6 Protein

Last edited by Quick6EF; 04-29-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0