E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Will buffing strip off the sealant/wax that originally came with the car?

07-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
white335ispider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M tech E92

Question Will buffing strip off the sealant/wax that originally came with the car?

Hey guys, I am looking forward to washing my e92 for the first time tomorrow. I also want to buff the car after washing it and want to make sure this doesn't damage the sealant that protects the clear coat.

Here is what I am planning to do:
-Wash w/ Turtle Wax&wash soap.
-Dry using Eagle1 Dry As You Wax.
-Buff w/ a porter cable buffer @3000 rpm using a Meguiars Mirror Glaze, Fine-cut cleaner, #5 (medium cut) solution.

Please advise me if I missed anything or if anything needs to be done differently.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by white335ispider; 07-30-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Um, yeah, buffing your car will remove not only the sealant but also a wee bit of the clear coat itself. Why are you needing to buff a brand new car anyway?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I would strongly recommend a good long and careful clay bar session. New cars look nice and shiny but in reality the paint is incredibly dirty with the crud from transport. You will also get to go over all of your new car's paint up close and personal while you do the clay bar work so you will get acquainted with minor defects that are otherwise hard to spot in the frenzy of taking delivery.

You actually have very little sealant of note on the new paint job so cleaning the paint and getting a good sealant layer on the car has always been one of my first priorities on a new car.
      07-31-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
white335ispider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M tech E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
I would strongly recommend a good long and careful clay bar session. New cars look nice and shiny but in reality the paint is incredibly dirty with the crud from transport. You will also get to go over all of your new car's paint up close and personal while you do the clay bar work so you will get acquainted with minor defects that are otherwise hard to spot in the frenzy of taking delivery.

You actually have very little sealant of note on the new paint job so cleaning the paint and getting a good sealant layer on the car has always been one of my first priorities on a new car.

So you'd recommend that I just clay the car and use a sealant? Or clay it then buff it also?

What brand sealant and clay would you recommend?

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

As your car is new, you should not need to use an abrasive polish. Clay is debatable as well. Klasse AIO would do a nice job of cleaning and protecting the paint. When my car was new, I used AIO (applied by hand) and was really pleased with the result (flawless!). You could finish it off with some P21S Wax.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
DocVoxel
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Even if you did want to polish, that would be done before you wax, not after. On a new car, you would only need a very mild polish, if any at all. Try speed glaze or something that is similarly minimally abrasive.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white335ispider View Post
Hey guys, I am looking forward to washing my e92 for the first time tomorrow. I also want to buff the car after washing it and want to make sure this doesn't damage the sealant that protects the clear coat.

-Buff w/ a porter cable buffer @3000 rpm using a Meguiars Mirror Glaze, Fine-cut cleaner, #5 (medium cut) solution.

Please advise me if I missed anything or if anything needs to be done differently.

Thanks for the help!
Assuming this is a new car, what makes you think the finish is sealed? Did the dealer apply a sealant? I find it highly unlikely but not impossible.

I agree with the claying after the wash if you feel ANY grittiness on the paint as you run across it with your naked hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Assuming this is a new car, what makes you think the finish is sealed? Did the dealer apply a sealant? I find it highly unlikely but not impossible.

I agree with the claying after the wash if you feel ANY grittiness on the paint as you run across it with your naked hand.
Most over the counter washes have some type of protection in it. I bet the op has some type of protection on his paint, but that will need to be stripped off first using clay bar.

Then if they're no swirls (shouldn't be on a new car, just wash in HORIZONTAL lines, NOT CIRCULAR!), finish up with a sealant, wax, or combo or both.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

quick question, why would you put cheap over the counter cleaning stuff on a $40k plus car? I used to be cheap with my previous car and it was a disaster..You should email Dominic or other good detailers asking for what to get and get some good stuff for your car
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Um, yeah, buffing your car will remove not only the sealant but also a wee bit of the clear coat itself. Why are you needing to buff a brand new car anyway?
+1 the title of this thread makes no sense..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Claying should be followed by 1-step polish and then wax..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

Quote:
So you'd recommend that I just clay the car and use a sealant? Or clay it then buff it also?

What brand sealant and clay would you recommend?

Thanks man!
For an easy to use good clay bar off the shelf try Clay Magic - nice quality clay bar and easy to find at places like AutoZone. Do use plenty of the lubricant. Most folks would be seriously shocked at what kind of crud comes off your shiny new car straight from the dealer. Judging by the reactions so far that includes a lot of those answering this thread. By the time you make it through about 1/4 of your car you will understand why you wanted to do this. There are better quality clays out there is you have the time to shop around online and wait for delivery but Clay Magic is a good safe alternative.

Buffing after the clay bar work is mostly a question of paint correction where necessary. You will know which areas of your paint need work if any once you have seen it all up close with the clay bar efforts.

A good quality sealant is mandatory after the steps above and will help you keep the nice shine on your new car.
      08-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Claying should be followed by 1-step polish and then wax..
THANK you!!!!! Someone gets it!

Clay is an abrasive, plain and simple! It will mar the finish of the car, whether its barely, or noticeable, your finish will not be at its optimal state! Also, if you think your car is shiney now, hit it with a DA and a finishing pad with a polish like menzerna 85rd and you will wonder how you thought the previous condition was the best it gets!!! Just because the car is new doesnt mean its looking its best!!!!

I did one of the first X5M's in the country and the color change from the delivery to after I was done with the paint was night and day! I did it at the dealership and the owner stopped by and made a positive comment about the split shot I showed him. IT DOES GET BETTER THAN NEW!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
zybar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Garage List
I just did my initial wash, clay, and wax on my new 335i Xdrive and the car looks very good and is now well protected as well.

I used the following products throughout the process:

Wash: Griot's Garage Car Wash applied with Micro Chenille mitt and dried with a Griot's Garge Micro Fiber towel

Clay: Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay and Griot's Garage Speed Shine

Wax: Prima Epic applied with a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher

Wheels: Giort's Garage Wheel Cleaner and Prima Slick Quick Detail Spray

Windows: Girot's Glass Cleaning Clay and Girot's Window Cleaner

Here are a few pics (not great quality) after I finished:

George
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Here is what you need to do:

If your car is dirty then wash it.

Spend a few days reading every thread in this detailing section. Pay particular attention to the professionals here on the board.

Here is what many people don't understand;

When the car comes to the dealer it is covered in fallout, rail dust and sorts of other crap. It then sits at the dealer a while collecting more crap.

The dealer then washes the car and pours some sealant on it. The car looks OK but the dealer has sealed in all the crap that they didn't wash off.

The only way to remove that rail dust and other stuff is to use a clay bar. The dealer didn't do that so you should do it.

Like Eric said, you have to polish the car after you've clayed it and then seal and/or wax it.
Appreciate 0