E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > auto body repair help

04-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

auto body repair help

I had my front bumper repaired by a body shop that does my local Bmw dealership as well... Long story short, I feel as if they did a shitty job fixing and repainting my front bumper. This is about the third time I had my bumper repainted.

The owner said the reason I have pockmarks and imperfections, is because of how many layers of paint there were on my car from previous repairs.

Is there any truth to this???
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

No . . . any imperfections can be filled with glazing compound and primer prior to final finish . . so the prep work wasn't done properly. Has nothing to do with how many times its been painted before. If there was too much paint on it he should have sanded it down as part of the prep. Either way there is no excuse for imperfections in the final finish . .its not rocket science its how much they care about the quality of their work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great info... Thanks. Its a shame because I'm a perfectionist and have spent a lot of money with them in the last year. I'm also the always cash and no invoice kind of customer. I actually dropped it off today to see if he could polish it out as per what he said he could do. No improvement.

I have another panel I need done, so I'm gonna offer him to do it, but he has to redo my front end. If not he just lost a customer. thanks again for the info
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

It all depends on what was discussed during estimating. If the bumper had stone chips and blemishes and thats what you were trying to rectify then shame on him.

If you had accident damage on the side and only discussed fixing that, well then it just wasnt discussed.

However, "most" reputable shops would take care of the chips and blemishes b/c they dont want their name on a something like that.

The last factor would be how much did you pay? That would designate to me what the shops expectation of outcome would be. Not necessarily your expectation but theirs. If you go out for a $5 steak you're not expecting Peter Lugers quality. If I go and drop $38 on a filet it better be damn good.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
seepete753
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanzanite F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG@*************** View Post
It all depends on what was discussed during estimating. If the bumper had stone chips and blemishes and thats what you were trying to rectify then shame on him.

If you had accident damage on the side and only discussed fixing that, well then it just wasnt discussed.

However, "most" reputable shops would take care of the chips and blemishes b/c they dont want their name on a something like that.

The last factor would be how much did you pay? That would designate to me what the shops expectation of outcome would be. Not necessarily your expectation but theirs. If you go out for a $5 steak you're not expecting Peter Lugers quality. If I go and drop $38 on a filet it better be damn good.
^ Should have brought it to Tommy. The guys at Coleman did amazing work on my car and made it look perfect. I unfortunately will need to come back soon Tommy as some clown hit my car in a parking lot and left no insurance info. I hate that person with every part of my heart.

Past Cars: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
ard5040
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xdrive35i, Macan S

I'm in Rockland, what's the name of the shop??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I actually moved to Mamaroneck in Westchester... my front bumper with aero lip cost $600. Eurotech auto body
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeter753 View Post
^ Should have brought it to Tommy. The guys at Coleman did amazing work on my car and made it look perfect. I unfortunately will need to come back soon Tommy as some clown hit my car in a parking lot and left no insurance info. I hate that person with every part of my heart.
Christian, sorry to hear that. Shoot me or Jon an email with some pictures so you know what youre looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
I actually moved to Mamaroneck in Westchester... my front bumper with aero lip cost $600. Eurotech auto body
I would expect chips and road rash to be addressed for that price
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
I had my front bumper repaired by a body shop that does my local Bmw dealership as well... Long story short, I feel as if they did a shitty job fixing and repainting my front bumper. This is about the third time I had my bumper repainted.

The owner said the reason I have pockmarks and imperfections, is because of how many layers of paint there were on my car from previous repairs.

Is there any truth to this???
it doesnt matter how many layers of paint are on a bumper the paint when its applied contours to what is under it. so if you have chips, dents/dings,scratch marks from lazy sander in body work or whatever it will show. you dont have imperfections in the paint. (unless it was painted in an unlean enviornment and you have dust or fisheyes from contaminated ares). if a body man knows there are three layers of paint (which he would have to be retarded not to see then he should have stripped it down to the urethane and started fresh. now not all the blame can be put on the body man him self because who knows what the owner tells him to do. it sounds like you have chips that were painted over instead of being d.a'd out. im in westchester and could take a look and tell you what happened if youd like to come by sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingone View Post
No . . . any imperfections can be filled with glazing compound and primer prior to final finish . . so the prep work wasn't done properly. Has nothing to do with how many times its been painted before. If there was too much paint on it he should have sanded it down as part of the prep. Either way there is no excuse for imperfections in the final finish . .its not rocket science its how much they care about the quality of their work.
primer is not a filler and neither is glazing compound. a common misconception in body work is that primer can fill in crack and sand marks in bodywork or chips. i guarantee it will show. and i could point it out to you even if you couldntd see it. plus your order here is a little off. its bodywork>primer>paint>then polish.