E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Sonic Tuning

07-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
slopokdave
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sonic Tuning

I wanted to wait until my "issue" was fully resolved and case closed, giving them the benefit of the doubt, until I posted this.

In short: I would recommend their products. I purchased their HID bulbs and halos, so $190 or so total with shipping. However, the process after that has been bothersome.

I took my bulbs to BMW to get installed; Geico was paying for the install since they owed me from an insurance claim to replace the bulbs anyway. I get home and notice immediately one of the halos is off-colored. I see this:

I emailed Sonic Tuning right away. Ray says to check the alignment. What? The alignment? It only goes in one way. So to satisfy them, I took it back to BMW and had him check it. He pulls out the bulb and you can clearly see one of the LEDs is burnt out, therefore the discoloration.

I fork over the $68 to do an advance RA. Ray tells me if it was damaged in anyway ITS ON ME. What? I didn't even touch it when I got it. Handed the box over to my local dealer which I fully trust. It seemed okay when I was driving out of the dealer then when I got home it was the discolored you see. So it lasted all of 10 minutes if anything was not wrong with it to begin with.

I send the bad bulb back to Sonic, I pay for shipping of course, and he says it needs to go to MTEC for review.

End result: They refund me the $68 for the advance RA. But their answer? "We processed your return, I would NOT recommend going back to that BMW dealer since the part was damaged and they used some type of glue to cover it."

WHAT? And here is a picture of the defective LED:

My HID bulbs and halos of course look amazing. They are great products. But how can a company from the get go accuse me of this all the way to the end? "Here's your refund, but I still don't trust you..."

So in the end, great product, but if you need any support afterwards, don't count on much.

Last edited by slopokdave; 07-03-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

I haven't dealt with Sonic Tuning much, but I did meet Ray last week when I decided to drive up to see the warehouse. Overall nice guy and said he would always provide the hookup.

At that time, I bought a pair of HID bulbs, which he said have a one year warranty and if anything happened, just to bring the receipt to him and he would take care of it. That to me is great (my buddy bought crappy HIDs and they keep burning out but the refund/turnaround time is awful). Knowing that I can take it to him for a replacement is great.

My friend bought the MTEC AE on site as well and we will be putting those in shortly. Hopefully an LED won't be burnt out!

Question: I know you are probably mad with Sonic Tuning, and I would be too, but why not go through MTEC directly? They might have been able to help you out better.
      07-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
slopokdave
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_zer0 View Post
I haven't dealt with Sonic Tuning much, but I did meet Ray last week when I decided to drive up to see the warehouse. Overall nice guy and said he would always provide the hookup.

At that time, I bought a pair of HID bulbs, which he said have a one year warranty and if anything happened, just to bring the receipt to him and he would take care of it. That to me is great (my buddy bought crappy HIDs and they keep burning out but the refund/turnaround time is awful). Knowing that I can take it to him for a replacement is great.

My friend bought the MTEC AE on site as well and we will be putting those in shortly. Hopefully an LED won't be burnt out!

Question: I know you are probably mad with Sonic Tuning, and I would be too, but why not go through MTEC directly? They might have been able to help you out better.
I'm not mad with Sonic... I'd buy from them again and plan on getting a fog light HID kit. Just didn't like the way from the beginning he said "If it was damaged...." then they get it "It's damaged we've NEVER seen this"... and so result to that it was damaged by me or during installation, then attempted to be covered up by glue.

I think these LEDs are kind of the thing that works or they don't, the reason I saw the LED not working in the 1st day of use.

I didn't even know I could contact MTEC, I assumed it was their brand. I think the customer should expect at least some sort of brief in-house warranty deal before dealing with the manufacturer, though. They didn't even last a day and/or were defective from the moment I had them installed. Thanks!!! I look forward to rocking them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Thanks for the kind words.

That's funny, because I was playing around with that particular defective bulb today.
Appreciate 0