E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detail or New Clearcoat?

12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Detail or New Clearcoat?

Noob questions, so apologies in advance:

My car is a 2009 E92 in Azurite Black. CPO that was very well taken care of by the previous owner. The paint is in good condition, but it obviously needs a good detail. I've taken to a reputed detailer and was quoted for a multi-step compounding to get the swirls and light scratches out of the paint. Fortunately there's nothing major, but it does require that one good detailing job.

I also have a friend who works at a bodyshop that deals with high end vehicles and he said he could get my car in to have the clearcoat reapplied, applying a thicker layer of clear coat to the car to help protect against possible deep scratches and give that mirror like glossy look. Of course the quality of the finish would matter after the clearcoat applied.

My questions are: what are the pros and cons of both? How much of the clearcoat would be removed through a detail? Would one yield a better results over the other?
      12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 (his) 2011 e90 (hers)

What your friend is saying doesn't make a lot of since regarding the thickness of the clearoat. How would a few more microns protect against scratches? If your car is gonna get scratched, it's gonna get scratched.

Is he going to sand down your old clearcoat that has swirls in it? Otherwise it would show through the new one.

Honestly, I've never even heard of a clearcoat being reapplied.

If you get it detailed, hardly any clearcoat is removed. Just enough to get to the bottom of your swirls and light scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I also find this amusing. I don't see how applying another layer of clear (if done properly) can be cost effective. A good detailer will measure your paint prior to any heavy compounding. A good 2 step correction/polishing process will run about $500-$800 from a reputable detailer (depending on the market). What sort of paint job even if it is just clear can you get for that??? To paint anything requires prep work and sanding (before and after). I am sure you don't want your paint to look like an orange peel. Right?
      12-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Sorry I should've mentioned, it would be sanded it down and the clear reapplied. Not just a layer of clear on top of what is already there. It would cost more than a detail, but the quote I'm getting for it wouldn't be exorbitant considering the work done.

I meant protecting from scratches in that any potential deep scratches in the future could be mitigated by a thicker coat of clear, thus saving the paint. Of course it's all contingent on if the paint is saved during the sanding process.

Glad to bring some amusement, as I said when it comes to paint correction/restoration I'm a noob. Just looking for advice as this is a car I plan to hold on to for years to come.

Last edited by bling_singh; 12-14-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling_singh View Post
Sorry I should've mentioned, it would be sanded it down and the clear reapplied. Not just a layer of clear on top of what is already there. It would cost more than a detail, but the quote I'm getting for it wouldn't be exorbitant considering the work done.

I meant protecting from scratches in that any potential deep scratches in the future could be mitigated by a thicker coat of clear, thus saving the paint. Of course it's all contingent on if the paint is saved during the sanding process.

Glad to bring some amusement, as I said when it comes to paint correction/restoration I'm a noob. Just looking for advice as this is a car I plan to hold on to for years to come.
Gotcha!!!! I understand now.

IMO. A respray would work but it might be an overkill. To correct light scratches and swirls shouldn't take much clear off the car. A good detailer would have a paint gauge and they would be able to tell. Another method is Opti-coat and you would apply this once the paint has been corrected. Another benefit of Opti-coat is..... you wouldn't have to wax or seal your car after for years.
      12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Havana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 N52 - Individual

If you had it clear coated again, you would still see the swirls, but they would be locked in under the new paint. I can vouch for this as I have worked on several vehicles that had this done. Its the same as bad prep work being visible, the clear just locks it in so you can't get to them.

Just get it detailed by a reputable company that has good feedback, and preferably a portfolio of past work.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

To professionally sand down a car and apply clear coat, you're talking $$$$.

There is no reason for you to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
spanner1751
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan

It sounds like your "friend" at the body shop is trying to make some money off you.
      12-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. My friend isn't trying to make money off me, that can be said with absolute certainty. The only concern I have about it is mixing this sort of thing with friends/family if the work never comes out as expected.

I'll probably go the detail route for now. Thanks again.
      12-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Browse thru here and take a look at what a consumate pro like FMINUS can do to a car. Also notice how much it costs. Then compare to what your friend is saying he will do to the clear coat.
Compare costs
Compare time
Consider that even after a respray, you need to detail it
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

get it detailed. as the guy above said even if someone can properly sand off the old clear, polish it, then respray clear and sand that down and polish it then you will STILL need to have it detailed eventually.

doesnt make sense unless your clear is peeling or in terrible shape.