E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Vessel Centaurus Leader: ETA Port Hueneme Feb 23

02-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 MB SL63 AMG

Vessel Centaurus Leader: ETA Port Hueneme Feb 23

Anyone on this ship? It should reach the Panama Canal in the next day, or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
jmorrison
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 435i M Sport Ordered

I am on the Centaurus Leader. Good to finally find someone else on this vessel. Have you been able to track the ship? The anticipation is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I actually don't have a car on this ship. I have tracked several cars over the past two years (one was a euro delivery '06 MB SL500) and I was preparing all my tracking web sites in anticipation for a new car that I have on order. It's a '09 MB SL63 AMG. MB doesn't have tracking forums, so I always join the BMW forum to track. My new car isn't due to ship until April. As I was lining up my web sites last week, I started doing tracking for others on this forum. I know that the Cent Leader is due into port Hueneme on Feb 23. They generally reach the PanCanal 7-9 days before reaching PH, so I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone is out there waiting for it. I have an AIS radar subscription and can watch the radar tracking for the ships. AIS radar only works within 50 miles of a port, so I can't see anything right now, until gets within 50 miles of the PanCanal. I am watching for her. When I spot her, I will post a message. Then start looking for her on the PanCanal web cameras. Here's the link: http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

There are three cameras that cover to PanCanal lock system and the Centennial Bridge. It is fun to watch the ship go through the canal system. It takes 6-8 hours for her to get from the Atlantic side to the Pacific side.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is what she looks like. She can carry 6500 cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
jmorrison
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info. I've been looking to find this for a while. Congrats on the new SL63. I saw two 09 SL's in camo driving on I5 in San Diego about two weeks ago. I knew they were comming out soon but I did not realize as early as April production... its going to feel great to have one of the first on the road. Keep me posted on the Cent Leader.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Still nothing tonight in the PanCanal approach. Attached is a current snapshot of the AIS radar for the area. If she's not there in the morning it could be that we missed her passage through the canal and that she's headed north to SoCal. It usually takes about seven days to get from the PanCanal to SoCal, which means she should be in the PanCanal region now (since she's due in SD on Feb 21). But with weather, etc, it's a guess. She could be behind schedule. I will check AIS again in the morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison View Post
Thanks for all the info. I've been looking to find this for a while. Congrats on the new SL63. I saw two 09 SL's in camo driving on I5 in San Diego about two weeks ago. I knew they were comming out soon but I did not realize as early as April production... its going to feel great to have one of the first on the road. Keep me posted on the Cent Leader.
That's very cool! This new face lift is much different than my current model. I am not particularly fond of the standard '09 SL, but the AMG is very nice! AMG made some design changes and they did a great job. Production on them actually started this month. Some will be arriving in the US in March. My production date is sometime in the first week of April. I know the wait for a car is really tough (this will be my second car I've tracked for myself), but you are way ahead of me in wait time. I expect mine at the end of May.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's the schedule for the port of San Diego: http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/

I see that Cent Leader is coming into San Diego on Feb 21 from Brunswick, GA. The Aida is just heading into Brunswick, GA (another thread on this forum.) Aida is coming into GA two days late, so maybe CL has been late in her passage, too. I will check AIS in the morning. Keep an eye on the port schedule above for any date changes. They do come in late sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

jmorrison-I don't see Cent Leader in the Panama region this morning. I will keep watching for her. Here's a current overview shot of the entire Panama Canal AIS radar. I've zoomed in on all the red boxes, but she's not there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

AIS has been down since last night, so I haven't been able to check the AIS radar in the PanCanal today.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

jmorrison-I found a GREAT web site! The Centaurus Leader will reach the Panama Canal on Feb 17 and is scheduled to transit the canal on the morning of Feb 18. Look here:

http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
matai78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW

My car is also on the Centaurus Leader, however I received a call from the dealership yesterday saying there was some sort of mishap with the ship, here's the actual email:

"The NYK vessel Centaurus Leader, ETA Hueneme Feb. 23 (338 vehicles) is going to be a little bit late. The vessel ran aground entering the harbor in Brunswick, GA yesterday, which resulted in a breech of the hull. The good news is there is no reported damage to any BMW vehicle. The vessel is now dockside in the port, waiting for a diver inspection to assess the extent of damage. NYK is awaiting these findings after which the Coast Guard will issue a ruling as to whether temporary repairs will be permitted, or whether permanent repairs must be completed prior to continuing her voyage. "

I'm not really sure how to track progress on repairs to the vessel...but if you guys have any info, let me know.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matai78 View Post
My car is also on the Centaurus Leader, however I received a call from the dealership yesterday saying there was some sort of mishap with the ship, here's the actual email:

"The NYK vessel Centaurus Leader, ETA Hueneme Feb. 23 (338 vehicles) is going to be a little bit late. The vessel ran aground entering the harbor in Brunswick, GA yesterday, which resulted in a breech of the hull. The good news is there is no reported damage to any BMW vehicle. The vessel is now dockside in the port, waiting for a diver inspection to assess the extent of damage. NYK is awaiting these findings after which the Coast Guard will issue a ruling as to whether temporary repairs will be permitted, or whether permanent repairs must be completed prior to continuing her voyage. "

I'm not really sure how to track progress on repairs to the vessel...but if you guys have any info, let me know.

thanks!
Wow. What a surprise. She was due to reach the PanCanal today and I have been watching for her on the radar. It sounds as if she's going to be in Brunswick a couple days. I cannot see the port of Brunswick on the AIS radar very well. I can see there are ships in port, but there are no names attached to the arrow symbols in port, so it is not helpful. Here is what I can see of Brunswick. It is that clump of ships in the very bottom left of the screen. One of those yellow arrows must be CL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
djlfp
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 750Li
Location: On the ground at Pt Hueneme waiting to clear Customs/Ag

Canal on 2/26 at 0600

According to Boyds, Centaurus Leader is now scheduled to arrive at the Canal on 2/26 at 0600. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Eowww! That's a week late. Hopefully, that will change. But, it could be that it takes that long to get another place in line for the PanCanal. The ships have to have a time slot to go through and I think the super vessels pay about $50,000 to transit the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
djlfp
Private
Rep

One week delay?

I am hoping that the delay is no more than that. They need to repair a gash 22 feet long by 2 inches wide and get it approved by the Coast Guard. Whether the repair can be made in Brunswick or the ship needs to be moved slowly to a proper facility, I do not know.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #17
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Is this where you got the news?

http://www.thebrunswicknews.com/open...9410615697.php

She's scheduled for the port of San Diego on March 4.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Look at this photo with thousands of cars in the background. Look at the oil containment ropes around her.

http://www.uscgresponse.com/go/doc/586/192263/
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #19
djlfp
Private
Rep

Thanks, SPN. That is not the story that I read, but it contains similar info.

Fantastic photo of CL with all the cars in the background.

I have been emailing the port. As of this afternoon they were unclear about the departure of the ship.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlfp View Post
Thanks, SPN. That is not the story that I read, but it contains similar info.

Fantastic photo of CL with all the cars in the background.

I have been emailing the port. As of this afternoon they were unclear about the departure of the ship.
Keep us posted if you get an update.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #21
djlfp
Private
Rep

According email this morning from the GA port authority, CL is not expected to resume voyage until Friday or Saturday.

If a Friday departure comes to pass, an optimistic schedule would be: 25 at PC, 26 through PC, Mar 3 in SD and Mar 4 at Pt H.

No response from BMWNA Euro Delivery. I will call them in the morning.

CL has now dropped off the SD calendar.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #22
jmorrison
United_States
Rep

I couldn't wait any longer. I was able to find the exact same car I ordered which just left the VPC and is en route to the dealer. Placed a new deposit, signed some paperwork, abandoned my originally ordered E92 and will finally be behind the wheel of my new 335i by the weekend. Thanks for all the help SPN and good luck to everyone else waiting for their cars on the Centaurus Leader. My seemingly endless wait is almost over!

2008 335i Coupe. Space Gray/ Black Leather/ Popular Wood. Manual. Sports. Premium. Cold Weather. Navigation. Comfort Access. Ipod. HD Radio. Sirius.
Appreciate 0