E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Sales Reps of Tischer / BMW of Silver Spring Review Help

07-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Sales Reps of Tischer / BMW of Silver Spring Review Help

Hi guys,
I need some input on who I should exactly talk to when it comes to getting a car from Tischer in person.
I went there today after setting an appointment with Lonnie Overby and he was a complete dick.
Is this the type of service I should expect there or is it just him? I got my 07 335 from OttosBMW in westchester, pa and dude there, Ralph Nofsinger, was on point.
This Lonnie guy showed my fiance more attention than he did me and he pretty much seemed like he could care less if he sold me the car or not. Are they doing so well there that customer care is so poor? Another customer was getting into a heated exchanged with another sales rep while i was there.

Summary.
Went there to negotiate the 08 M3 Coupe he has there. We talked about it on the phone.
I wanted to trade my CPO 07 335 w/sports package with 86000 on it. Dude offered 12000 or 13500 if i put the chrome trim back on a the 162s. KBB is about 17000 and nada is about 17000 - 18000 i think.
i said i couldnt do anything with the offer and dude had this o well look and then gave me the peace sign when i got about 40 feet away and he finally asked what i wanted to get for the car. he also said i would get a little more for a trade since it was 1 yr left on my CPO while we were on the phone yet it clearly did not happen when i got the car appraised.

i understand negotiating but dudes demeanor was just wrong. he didnt remember we had an appointment. NEVER invited me to his desk. all of our talking happened on the floor. acted like he could care less if i got the m3.

i think he profiled me because im in my 20s and might have the look like i dont make a ton of money but i do well for myself, but by no means am i rich, and really feel like i shouldnt have to dress to impress to buy a car. he just had this look when he saw who i was in person.

should i call up monday and talk to the manager or just keep it moving and deal with a dealership that wants a sale?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience there. I've purchased a few BMWs from them and all have been good exp. If he doesnt care abt a sale then you dont need to buy from them. Dont even waste your time with the manager. I would deal with someone else at this point. GL with your search.
      07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I had a good experience with Michael Katzemburg back in 2010. I don't know if he still works there now but his email was mkazemburg@mileone.com.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Please delete my account

Just go to Passport...they will take good care of you.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks guys. i think i might just end up buying my next car from a member on here. i couldnt believe the disrespect i got from dude.

how professional is it to give a customer the peace sign when he doesnt accept your cruddy offer?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
dan11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92, e70

Wow that's weird. I got my car from Lonnie and he was pretty decent.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan11 View Post
Wow that's weird. I got my car from Lonnie and he was pretty decent.
decent tho?
dude is supposed to be on point. ive never been disrespected like that before whether i was at another bmw dealership or at a honda dealership.
i mean, i dont even warrant an invite to dudes desk? we do all talking in the lobby even tho i had a scheduled appointment?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Go see David Aviles at Northwest BMW in Owings Mills. He's an expert at European/Performance Center Delivery which I would highly recommend. He's won numerous sales awards, very honest, and a true BMW enthusiast.

IMO the sales process is all about getting the best price (not always the lowest); its the service department at dealerships that you really need to have a good relationship with. This is usually where BMW of Silver Spring shines.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

There are these types at most BMW dealerships. I experienced a handful of sales reps with that attitude when I was looking for my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Go see David Aviles at Northwest BMW in Owings Mills. He's an expert at European/Performance Center Delivery which I would highly recommend. He's won numerous sales awards, very honest, and a true BMW enthusiast.

IMO the sales process is all about getting the best price (not always the lowest); its the service department at dealerships that you really need to have a good relationship with. This is usually where BMW of Silver Spring shines.
+1
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks fellas. i changed up my strategy some and might end up keeping the 335 for another year. i really like the car anyways. i just figured i liked the m3 more.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
pseto,

Quote:
Northwest BMW in Owings Mills
is this the old Schwing BMW group?

If so, they were a pleasure to deal with when I bought a E36 M3 from them back in he day....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
utfenix335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2015 X5 50i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I bought my car from Northwest BMW and couldn't have been happier. VOB pissed me off because the sales rep who was handling me was, well, dropping the ball. However, since then, two of my friends have bought cars from VOB because that was the best deal. Sad to say, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick. Paul's right about Northwest BMW. It was a pleasure to work with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
dan11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92, e70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
decent tho?
dude is supposed to be on point. ive never been disrespected like that before whether i was at another bmw dealership or at a honda dealership.
i mean, i dont even warrant an invite to dudes desk? we do all talking in the lobby even tho i had a scheduled appointment?
I agree with you. If you don't get the respect when you're out there buying a car I would just walk away. A sales person should make it a pleasurable buying experience instead of making you feel intimated or looked down upon.

On another note. I've bought 4 cars from northwest. When my sales guy left northwest, I tried talking to david about a possible purchase of an m3. Wasn't a very pleasant experience. No idea how he was able to win so many awards. Definitely not someone I would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

I bought mine new at silver springs. It was the best price, but I did not have the best experience. The sales rep didnt think of me as some poor kid, but I dont think he thought I was going buy that day. So he didnt put in that "extra" effort in making sure he seats me in the right car and that I drive off happy.

For example, he did not reveal all the BMWs he had in stock and did not recommend or show me options. It was a simple yes or no of what they had.

So it comes down to two things a dealership can offer, the best price and the best shopping experience. Silver springs lacked the shopping experience for me. Cant comment about service since im not due until 15k miles. Well see...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

What about Nan Wong at VOB? She's made my buying experience awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Smiderreen View Post
Just go to Passport...they will take good care of you.
I got screwed by Passport. Sold me a complete lemon. They also locked my keys in the car and lost the second pair so I was forced to drive home a loaner while they called for a locksmith.

Not to knock on them too much, it was just the one sales rep who was an idiot.

Every shop is going to have multiple sales styles and personalities. I work in sales, but more corporate stuff. A lot of car sales men try and aim for the girlfriend. If the girl is on their side and screaming "baby, get it, I like it!" then you are getting pressured from both ends.

I got caught off guard at Passport, but every other time I get appraisals from both Car Max and my insurance company and dress clean but conservative to garner the right attention.

As for the rep, I look for someone knowledgable of my model and dress as understated as me. (flashy suits and girls dress to kill are likely sharks looking to pull every penny from you).

Also, I never force myself to work with the guy who responded to my email. There was no consideration in why he got your email and not someone else, unless he deals with all internet leads. Keep his name in mind, but when you get there, find a rep that works for you.

I bought an 08 Mini in '08, an early trade in at Mercedes. I picked the guy who was a die hard Merc fan. He had no idea... nothing about the car he was selling and it was easy to take advantage of his lack of knowledge when negotiating. I trimmed 3k off market value as he did not understand how to identify packages included on the car. Sold it three years later for nearly as much as I bought it for.

If that is the car that meets all your criteria, get some back up appraisals of you car (online and in person) and bring them with you. Also have appraisals done on their car. If yours is CPO'd and theirs is not, it is easy to highlight that they cannot sell theirs at KBB "Great Condition" and value you yours at "Fair." However, most official BMW dealerships will not sell high milage vehicles on lot, rather pass them on to sister locations like Passport Toyota. Also if they ever give you that "we study markets and this is the market value" use Clear Book which does the same (http://clearbook.truecar.com/)

Just remember, they bought that car from someone and paid a price for it... they can not go under that price. At the end of the day, both parties want to make out ahead.

Sorry for the long post.....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
I think she's at Tischer now, I swore I saw her there last week

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks for the feedback guys.
Jhayd11, your response was particularly interesting. ill be sure to use this knowledge when i look for a car again.

i checked out clearbook with my options. that lonny dude definitely has issues. he knew the car had 86k on it and it was a CPO and said he would be able to sell it quick so he wanted it.

clearbook says $18k even if he didnt offer an extra for it being a CPO
http://clearbook.truecar.com/used-bm...1n45cm/t_curve
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
Evan@Tischer
Rep
Drives: Online Parts Sales

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
I think she's at Tischer now, I swore I saw her there last week
Sure is! 301.890.3000 x32304

Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | New: Shop Porsche & Audi parts!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #21
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
Not to knock on them too much, it was just the one sales rep who was an idiot.
My experience with most dealers whether it be in sales or service is that you will know more than them. My assumption is that they don't care enough to know. Just a job to them. So, don't expect too much. You got to do your own homework most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

I also try and think of the seller in your case. You have an 85k car. people looking for a car will most likely put in a search result of "50-100k" or "up to 100k." This means your car is competing with those on the market. Clear Book has a 99k car trade in value of about 17.4k.

These numbers are stil very bullish and you may have to come down, but a quick look on auto trader has every 335i listed above 20k.

When I traded one car in, I went 750 under Clear Book, but used that difference for the dealer to thrown in delivery (a 4 hour drive) and new tires all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
thanks for the feedback guys.
Jhayd11, your response was particularly interesting. ill be sure to use this knowledge when i look for a car again.

i checked out clearbook with my options. that lonny dude definitely has issues. he knew the car had 86k on it and it was a CPO and said he would be able to sell it quick so he wanted it.

clearbook says $18k even if he didnt offer an extra for it being a CPO
http://clearbook.truecar.com/used-bm...1n45cm/t_curve
Appreciate 0