E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Blue smoke on stratup and after idle

09-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Question E90 330D - Blue smoke on stratup and after idle

Hi All,

Turbo has been replaced as I have mentioned on another thread, however I have since been monitoring for any smoke. Over the past couple of days if I leave the car idling for say 5+ minutes and then pull away there is a lot of what I would say is blue smoke. I have took another video this morning to check for any smoke on startup and I do. I've watched a video on YouTube for blue smoke on startup on another 330D and it's exactly the same, but I've already replaced the crankcase breather and I purchased it from BWM cotswold so I'm not sure what to think?

When the turbo seals collapsed there was a lot of oil down the cat so is it possible that the smoke issue after idle and startup could happen if there's oil still lingering in the cat/exhaust after the turbo had failed?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Yes mate its still possible that there's alot of oil after the turbo in the exhaust that is turning to smoke when it gets hot.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Take it out on a long ride for a regent. Should disappear. Does it smell like burned oil? That should go after a while otherwise it oil circulating onto the chamber I'm afraid. When your turbo popped did it cause a lot of damage?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Yes mate its still possible that there's alot of oil after the turbo in the exhaust that is turning to smoke when it gets hot.
Hi Mate,

Well smoke is still coming out and I'm losing oil again, I checked the dip stick again this morning and it's gone down.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #5
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
Take it out on a long ride for a regent. Should disappear. Does it smell like burned oil? That should go after a while otherwise it oil circulating onto the chamber I'm afraid. When your turbo popped did it cause a lot of damage?
Hi mate,

I don't think I done any damage when the turbo failed, for the past couple of weeks I was driving gently to see how many miles I could get out of £20. Also, on the day it went, I think I drove for maybe 7 minutes if that.

But going forward, does this mean it's either piston rings or valve stem seals? If so I suppose it's worth getting a compression test to rule out?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #6
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

That depends whether your turbo completely bust or if it just pissed oil at the seals. What did the guys who reconditioned your blower say? TBH if your engine had ingested parts you'd likely hear it and you'd have some sort of warning from the guys who fixed your car.

I'd just initiate a DPF regent from a diagnosis machine (all can do it). Just make sure to have a fire extinguisher with you just in case )
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #7
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi Mate,

Well smoke is still coming out and I'm losing oil again, I checked the dip stick again this morning and it's gone down.
Could it have been overfilled? Keep checking the level.

From that video its not bad tbh.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That depends whether your turbo completely bust or if it just pissed oil at the seals. What did the guys who reconditioned your blower say? TBH if your engine had ingested parts you'd likely hear it and you'd have some sort of warning from the guys who fixed your car.

I'd just initiate a DPF regent from a diagnosis machine (all can do it). Just make sure to have a fire extinguisher with you just in case )
Hi mate,

Oil got past the seals and straight into exhaust, the turbo shaft was also damaged.. the outside was all bent but nothing was mentioned about anything breaking on it. To be honest i think i might try to get a compression test done to rule out rings.. but because it only seems to happen when i let the car idle i would have imagined that seems more like it would be leaking past the valve stem seals? Whats really strange about this car is, no matter how bad it sounds i literally dont see any issues. I have glow plug activation issues on every cyclinder yet ive never once had a problem starting the car even today and it was pretty nippy. Idles fine and power is fine (that i know of)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #9
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Could it have been overfilled? Keep checking the level.

From that video its not bad tbh.
A possibility perhaps but unlikely, even so if we imagine between the min and max marks on the dipstick being 100% ive lost around 10% so its just a bit below max now.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:07 AM   #10
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Normal diesel crap at the start but then it seems to go back to the bluish tint
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Yep definitely oil. Given the age of the car it could be something as simple as a gasket. Doubt its anything serious, these engines are bulletproof (apart from ancillaries like all modern cars...

Bring it to a good BMW indy. You're lucky in the UK you have lots!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Hi mate,

Oil got past the seals and straight into exhaust, the turbo shaft was also damaged.. the outside was all bent but nothing was mentioned about anything breaking on it. To be honest i think i might try to get a compression test done to rule out rings.. but because it only seems to happen when i let the car idle i would have imagined that seems more like it would be leaking past the valve stem seals? Whats really strange about this car is, no matter how bad it sounds i literally dont see any issues. I have glow plug activation issues on every cyclinder yet ive never once had a problem starting the car even today and it was pretty nippy. Idles fine and power is fine (that i know of)
these cars do not need glow plugs to help start the car in this climate.although the glow plugs do have a bearing on dpf etc etc
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep definitely oil. Given the age of the car it could be something as simple as a gasket. Doubt its anything serious, these engines are bulletproof (apart from ancillaries like all modern cars...

Bring it to a good BMW indy. You're lucky in the UK you have lots!
Who would you recommend mate? West Midlands ideally.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Google is your friend otherwise search or put up a post on the forum. Lots of experts in the midlands, you should have no probs finding one.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
azz259
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d e60

Hi, did you sort out this problem? I have the exact same thing happening with my car, if i leave it idle for couple minutes then rev it i get a massive cloud of blue smoke!!!

Ive changed thermostat, all glow plugs and module, crank case breather, deleted the egr but nothing worked, its driving me mad

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz259 View Post
Hi, did you sort out this problem? I have the exact same thing happening with my car, if i leave it idle for couple minutes then rev it i get a massive cloud of blue smoke!!!

Ive changed thermostat, all glow plugs and module, crank case breather, deleted the egr but nothing worked, its driving me mad

Thanks
Not yet mate, i took it to Best Turbos and although it does smoke its nothing to worry about yet coupled with the fact i only lose around 1 litre of oil every 1400 moles or so which according to BMW 1 quart every 1000 miles is okay.

That said i still want to know, personally i think its Valve Stem Seals because it happens when idling as opposed to driving. I need to change the rocker cover gasket soon and i believe there is a way to see if the valve stem seals are letting oil passed but im still waiting for a response. Another thing to try would be a compression test to check the piston rings, but im sure the symptoms for that are different.

Hopefully theres a way to check the valves and guides with the cover off.. other than that id need to get it checked by a garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
azz259
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d e60

Thanks for the quick reply, i was thinking of replacing my turbo until i found this thread and seen that you already done that, ive read up about the valve seals and someone said that they wouldnt leave that much oil through . I dont know what to think anymore, my car wasnt smoking at all a year ago and its gradually got to the point where its starting to worry me, my car also has a horrible fumes smell , so bad that i cant drive with the window open, again a year ago there was no smell, ive pulled the exhaust and manifold off to have a look and cant see any cracks or soot anywhere
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #18
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz259 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, i was thinking of replacing my turbo until i found this thread and seen that you already done that, ive read up about the valve seals and someone said that they wouldnt leave that much oil through . I dont know what to think anymore, my car wasnt smoking at all a year ago and its gradually got to the point where its starting to worry me, my car also has a horrible fumes smell , so bad that i cant drive with the window open, again a year ago there was no smell, ive pulled the exhaust and manifold off to have a look and cant see any cracks or soot anywhere
Yeah i definitely think you can rule out turbo, if the turbo was passing oil you would notice the smoke when the engine is hot and you boot it and not to mention all of those videos ive done that your seeing where taken after the turbo was replaced.

Do you have INPA to hand? You can check the injector values and other things? Mind you we appear to have the same symptoms and despite INPA, ISTA D, New Turbo and what not ive still not found a solution.

My car also stinks, but it smells less now since Kwik Fit put the exhaust section back on. When i first got the car the clamp just after the flexi pipe was bent and wasnt holding the two exhaust pieces together so it was leaking and just like you it would stink if the window was left open.. it still stinks now but helps that the funes are released out the back haha.

Do keep me updated with any symptoms or findings you have and ill do the same. Oh and i forgot to mention, when ive drove the car and get it up to temperature if i remove the dipstick with the engine running i get white smoke. Its not gauranteed but its could be worn piston rings.. i find it hard to accept just yet though as for a start its an M57n2 Engine so its pretty solid and the powet is still great. But it would be interesting to know if you also get smoke out of the dipstick after a drive.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #19
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

thats steam..warm/hot oil
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #20
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
thats steam..warm/hot oil
So you get it as well? How do you distinguish blow by with steam or normal hot oil evaporating?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #21
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So you get it as well? How do you distinguish blow by with steam or normal hot oil evaporating?
never checked,no reason to,,but you can see its oil steam..also the dipsick is pressurised so it will naturally blow some oiut.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

I still think a head gasket of some kind (valve cover etc). Its not as a straight forward job on these diesel engines M57 as on the equivalent petrol, but deffo worth checking out.
Appreciate 0