E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > CPO Problems with dealer

07-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
overkill1125
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435xi Coupe

CPO Problems with dealer

I bought a CPO 2006 BMW 325i back in September 2009 and have brought the car in numerous times for repairs.

Just last week, I had to bring my car in because every time I would turn on the headlights, my radio would shut off and not function.

The dealer said that they had to change something in the junction box and 2 days later when I went to pick up the car, the service rep said that everything is fine now and the work is covered by warranty. My work order also says that everything is covered.

Few days later I get a call from the service rep and he tells me that the work done on the car is not covered by warranty and now says that I owe them $2355.

He even gave me a deadline for the payments.

WTF!!!

Do I have any recourse for this?

Please help!

Many Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
overkill1125
Captain
Canada
Rep

How should I respond to them?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Send thenm a certified/registered letter explaining that the work was done under warranty and enclose a copy of the Work Order showing that it was completed under warranty.

Send a copy of the letter to BMW.

Do everything in writing. Don't make phone calls.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

First you need to accept that you will probably have to pay "something". I don't think you will get away without opening your wallet.

Second, you need to do some research - get some basic understanding of what was done to fix the problem. The CPO warranty clearly states that the radio and any components of that radio system is not covered. OTOH, electrical issues are covered. So you need to find out what junction box was replaced or fixed to see if it can be determined if this was an electrical issue due to the headlights, relays, etc or whether this junction box is purely a radio component.

Third, Talk to the Service Manager directly. Don't waste any more time with the Service Rep - you already know his position. Time to move up the chain of command. Discuss the issue with SM, see what can be done to reduce the price. Maybe some of the labor time can be reduced. Parts at dealer cost, etc. Keep cool, be polite, don't lose your temper. Explain that you were told by the Service Rep that this was covered under warranty and thus wasn't given an estimate otherwise you would have reconsidered having the work done. (that is, if that is the truth, I am guessing)

If the SM doesn't satisfy, then move up to the General Manager or Owner or have the GM as part of the discussion with the SM. But the biggest thing is don't go in with both guns blazing; trying to negotiate in anger with folks you have put on the defensive will be futile.
      07-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80, 12 F25, 06 E90 330i

i agree with what was said...also note that you never approved any repairs...so...you have a very good leg to stand on.. haha
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
swin500
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

You don't pay for this if the work is done at a BMW dealer and the car is CPO.
First read your warranty. It dosen't cover the radio. The junction box, however, is not the radio. It's a main junction for various electrical systems.

Call BMW NA and the service manager. The person you spoke with sounds like an SA ("service advisor" or "stupid asshole" - the terms are synonyms).

Whatever you do, don't pay anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
bimmer_335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

yup as stated already... CPO does not cover radio/audio/iDrive or speakers... if they changed CCC, which is the brain behind all these componenets, that is not covered in CPO either.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
yup as stated already... CPO does not cover radio/audio/iDrive or speakers... if they changed CCC, which is the brain behind all these componenets, that is not covered in CPO either.
All immaterial. They did the repair without the OPs approval of any charges and they provided a work order that indicated that all work was performed at no charge.

Did the dealership screw up? Perhaps, but that isn't the OP's problem.

The OP shouldn't pay a dime. He also has no obligation, legal or otherwise, to pay anything.

The situation would clearly be different had they called him before they began the repair and gave him an estimate. Wait, they did - the estimate was $0 - a bit different from $2k+

The OP would prevail in any court of law. It is so clearcut.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
bugsandry
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 328xi

Which Canadian dealer do this to you..let's add them to NOT-BUY-CPO from dealers...the stealerships are getting worse and worse everyday by trying to rip people off to meet their targets in these difficult economic times...

You can even brought this issue to local newspaper and see how people react towards that dealer afterwards..okay...maybe too much
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
overkill1125
Captain
Canada
Rep

BMW Park Avenue in Brossard which is the subburbs of Montreal. They even emailed me and gave me a 10 day deadline so that the bill can be split 50/50. There is no way I should pay for this. I have all the proof with me that the repairs are guaranteed, it is written in black on the work report.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
cb1111
Rep

What have you done about this yet?

You don't owe anything - but you will need to find a new dealer.
Appreciate 0