E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Incorrect mpg / range

05-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

Incorrect mpg / range

Morning everyone just wondering have any of you seen or has this before? My range is always out by 100 miles at least and my mpg is in the high 50s usually 53-58mpg! I know this wasn't always the case and I could bet its been since I changed my thermostat a few months back...but don't know how this could have caused it, I've reset the bc but it still remains too high!

Shane
      05-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Have you calculated the mpg error... brim to brim?

My OBC used to be within 1% accuracy from new, but for some reason it is now about 10% pessimistic against brim to brim figures. I've no idea why or exactly when it changed, but did have a software upgrade when the ignition lock was sorted, other things were updated and wonder if something changed due to that.

The miles remaining is a rolling calc anyway, so that will be changing according to the mpg at the time. I'd not be surprised if any OBC +/- calculation error will just make 'miles remaining' run with a similar ratio of error as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
As Pete said...

Depending how often or recently you reset your OBC, it will take some time for the mpg to settle down, particularly if your most recent driving has been especially economical.

Range is dependent on (IIRC) your last 30 miles driven. If you've just done a long m/way trip it will be optimistic, but a good thrash or a stop-start town drive will drop it dramatically.
      05-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Has anyone tried / had success in adjusting the mpg using the "hidden menu"??

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

As the mileage I do is probably a 50/50 mix of town and country driving I know my average mpg used to sit at 37 for ages until i noticed it then went eratically high constantly above 50.

Ive attached a pic of my mpg from an ap I have on my phone, the obc used to be almost spot on accurate until lately...maybe its the fact that I keep resetting it when doing high mpg that its leaning on the high end!
Attached Images

05-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
bmw3series2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
As the mileage I do is probably a 50/50 mix of town and country driving I know my average mpg used to sit at 37 for ages until i noticed it then went eratically high constantly above 50.

Ive attached a pic of my mpg from an ap I have on my phone, the obc used to be almost spot on accurate until lately...maybe its the fact that I keep resetting it when doing high mpg that its leaning on the high end!
what app is this mate
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
I leave the OBC untouched, mine's sitting at a steady 35mpg over the 12ish months I've had the car. If I want to know the figures for a specific tankful, I use the Journey Computer function of the iDrive.
      05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335iconvertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

what app is this mate
It's road trip LE ;-)
      05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Has anyone tried / had success in adjusting the mpg using the "hidden menu"??

Mike
You certainly can calibrate the OBC using the hidden menu.
I have done this several times.
It can be very accurate....

To the OP-
I'm sure a quick search will reveal all.... ;-)
      05-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
You certainly can calibrate the OBC using the hidden menu.
I have done this several times.
It can be very accurate....

To the OP-
I'm sure a quick search will reveal all.... ;-)
I may well be asking your advice later in the year then!
My OBC seems to be out.
I mentioned it when my car went in for other warranty work, and was told it was "within tolerance". I'd only had a couple of tank fulls through at that stage, so I couldn't say too much. However, since then I have been keeping records and I plan to hit the Dealers (Rybrook Shrewsbury) with some more accurate figures to work to - before the warranty expires!
Being the dyed-in-the-wool cynic, I am expecting the Dealer to fail at this task, and will end up doing it myself.
It would be good to know which way and which figures to alter to get a more correct figure.

Last edited by AlwynMike; 05-08-2012 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Why do you notice the spelling mistakes AFTER hitting Submit?
Appreciate 0