E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ultimate Racing 335i Sedan Cat-Back Exhaust

01-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #45
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Nice work UR, the exhaust came out nice. Personally, I would prefer something a little louder than that though. Something with a little bit more balls to it.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #46
SonicBoom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

I love the sound of the exhaust Some nice quality too.

I'm not too sure why most people are complaining about prices? If we dont like it we can always wait for the more crappy asian stuff to be made by the knock off companys. I mean we're BMW guys not Honda guys who like raspier sounding cars who have $10K cars with $20K motors This is quality stuff and from what I know about Ultimate Racing we should be glad they are onboard with the BMW scene as I know they make some serious products and have been around for a long time.

I cant wait to get my 335i next week, so I can get modding.

Cheers,

Sonic
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #47
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

This is the 1st exhaust that sounds good to me. Get the e92 model up for sale and I'm sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #48
6SpeedMan
Poor rich kid working
Rep
Drives: 335i soon to be M3

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I really think that these exhausts need to be dyno proven, I personally am a little wary of buying exhuast unless it's backed with a warranty and proven to be benificial and not harmful.
      01-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #49
reds2
9000 RPM Redline
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red S2000

Didn't hear any drone so that is good. $1500 is a lot for stainless steel. At least my Mugen has titanium cans.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #50
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I love the sound of the exhaust Some nice quality too.

I'm not too sure why most people are complaining about prices? If we dont like it we can always wait for the more crappy asian stuff to be made by the knock off companys. I mean we're BMW guys not Honda guys who like raspier sounding cars who have $10K cars with $20K motors This is quality stuff and from what I know about Ultimate Racing we should be glad they are onboard with the BMW scene as I know they make some serious products and have been around for a long time.

I cant wait to get my 335i next week, so I can get modding.

Cheers,

Sonic
Just noticed it was your first post. Welcome to the forum
      01-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #51
SonicBoom
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Just noticed it was your first post. Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome

Well have to wait and see what the dyno sheets say, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 12-15whp gain. Turbo cars love free flowing exhausts.

All this boost talk is making me jones to get my car sooner.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #52
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds2 View Post
Didn't hear any drone so that is good. $1500 is a lot for stainless steel. At least my Mugen has titanium cans.
No disrespect intended, but I don't understand what folks expect to pay for a quality DUAL exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Mugen exhaust is for 4-cylinder (assuming this is an S2K you're talking about), is not a true dual exhaust (one pipe coming off of a single header as opposed to two pipes coming off of two manifolds in this application) and therefore involves less piping, bending, welding, etc.

There are exhausts for the coupe that cost/will cost more money (Supersprint and Hamann are more, Eisenhaus will almost certainly be near the same price--based on my experience with my E46 M3--, and the Millitek is very close in price. The other two, cheaper products I know of don't compare to this piece in terms of sound or workmanship IMO).

I personally don't think this is a bad price point. Maybe they are milking a hundred bucks or so b/c this is the first product for the 335 sedan and they have no competitors at this moment, but I don't think the price is out of line. I'm sure some objectors would not bat an eye at the price if this exhaust had a bigger German tuner name on it. I've often heard people say 'you get what you pay for,' but it seems that some of us are reluctant to extend this rationale to a brand that is less well known. I do, however, understand wanting to wait for dyno results. Sorry, I'll get off of my soap box now.

BTW, a friend of mine who is a forum member (and whose opinion I trust) has experience with other products from this company and speaks very highly of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #53
Ivan01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

^^^+1 don't forget, you guys have bmw's and not jdm's. 12-15whp would be nice gain, after that FMIC?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #54
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
No disrespect intended, but I don't understand what folks expect to pay for a quality DUAL exhaust. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Mugen exhaust is for 4-cylinder (assuming this is an S2K you're talking about), is not a true dual exhaust (one pipe coming off of a single header as opposed to two pipes coming off of two manifolds in this application) and therefore involves less piping, bending, welding, etc.

There are exhausts for the coupe that cost/will cost more money (Supersprint and Hamann are more, Eisenhaus will almost certainly be near the same price--based on my experience with my E46 M3--, and the Millitek is very close in price. The other two, cheaper products I know of don't compare to this piece in terms of sound or workmanship IMO).

I personally don't think this is a bad price point. Maybe they are milking a hundred bucks or so b/c this is the first product for the 335 sedan and they have no competitors at this moment, but I don't think the price is out of line. I'm sure some objectors would not bat an eye at the price if this exhaust had a bigger German tuner name on it. I've often heard people say 'you get what you pay for,' but it seems that some of us are reluctant to extend this rationale to a brand that is less well known. I do, however, understand wanting to wait for dyno results. Sorry, I'll get off of my soap box now.

BTW, a friend of mine who is a forum member (and whose opinion I trust) has experience with other products from this company and speaks very highly of them.
so many people are saying "how much do u expect to pay?" as a defense for high prices. have you guys ever heard of price discrimination?

regardless of being a good exhaust or not (which is not proven), overall, i'm tired of seeing products automatically priced at a standard high-end price simply because it's a bmw. we know that it's always been like this, a pos exhaust will cost us 1500 and a very good exhaust will also cost us 1500. why? because sellers know there is always gonna be that dimwit who says "what do you expect to pay?"
Just because there has always been a price discrimination for bimmer drivers doesnt mean we dont have the right to bitch about it.
      01-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #55
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Nice job guys, so far it looks to be the best sounding and best looking exhaust to date.
As far as the price, not too long ago people were paying 12-1400 just for the rear section for the exhausts on M3s...oh and did I mention those would usually net almost 0 whp?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #56
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, Evo VIII, WRX, STi, 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2guy View Post
So far, this exhaust sounds the best to me of the ones I've heard. Just kinda wish the cross pipe wasn't in there (less work to make, cheaper for me) since I think most people agree it does nothing for turbocharged engines.
The X-Pipe is actually used to keep the exhaust sounding good.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #57
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Thanks for making a non-ricer pipe. Not raspy nor too loud.

You're welcome.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #58
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Nice work UR, the exhaust came out nice. Personally, I would prefer something a little louder than that though. Something with a little bit more balls to it.
Our downpipes should give you the sound that you want!

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #59
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
This is the 1st exhaust that sounds good to me. Get the e92 model up for sale and I'm sold.
Just give us a couple weeks. It's next in line!

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #60
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedMan View Post
I really think that these exhausts need to be dyno proven, I personally am a little wary of buying exhuast unless it's backed with a warranty and proven to be benificial and not harmful.
We have an in-house dyno, and have every intention on showing results.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #61
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the good words

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #62
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
Nice job guys, so far it looks to be the best sounding and best looking exhaust to date.
As far as the price, not too long ago people were paying 12-1400 just for the rear section for the exhausts on M3s...oh and did I mention those would usually net almost 0 whp?
Speaking of which, here's an E46 M3 muffler that we made privately for another company a few years back.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #63
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
so many people are saying "how much do u expect to pay?" as a defense for high prices. have you guys ever heard of price discrimination?

regardless of being a good exhaust or not (which is not proven), overall, i'm tired of seeing products automatically priced at a standard high-end price simply because it's a bmw. we know that it's always been like this, a pos exhaust will cost us 1500 and a very good exhaust will also cost us 1500. why? because sellers know there is always gonna be that dimwit who says "what do you expect to pay?"
Just because there has always been a price discrimination for bimmer drivers doesnt mean we dont have the right to bitch about it.
I respect your opinion (and will overlook you implying that I, and others like me who are aware of the reality of the BMW tuning market, are dimwits). We would all like to spend less money on mods. I think you missed my main point--people are complaining about the price of THIS exhaust, as if something different was expected. By your statement, you have essentially acknowledged that you (and all of us) expect this type of pricing. Having expectations does not equate to an endorsement of those expectations. For the record, I do think $1400/$1500 for an exhaust is ridiculous, but it is reality in this market. I may be a dimwit for being willing to pay this much rather than trying to force prices down by not buying something I want and can afford, but I am not a dimwit for expecting what is in fact reality. Oops, I guess I didn't overlook being called a dimwit
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #64
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedMan View Post
All products we make in-house are warrantied against defects for 5 years. These exhausts will quite honestly outlast your car.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #65
SonicBoom
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I respect your opinion (and will overlook you implying that I, and others like me who are aware of the reality of the BMW tuning market, are dimwits). We would all like to spend less money on mods. I think you missed my main point--people are complaining about the price of THIS exhaust, as if something different was expected. By your statement, you have essentially acknowledged that you (and all of us) expect this type of pricing. Having expectations does not equate to an endorsement of those expectations. For the record, I do think $1400/$1500 for an exhaust is ridiculous, but it is reality in this market. I may be a dimwit for being willing to pay this much rather than trying to force prices down by not buying something I want and can afford, but I am not a dimwit for expecting what is in fact reality. Oops, I guess I didn't overlook being called a dimwit

Good post.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #66
Ultimate Racing
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Is that the shipped price or is shipping seperate?
When do you expect the exhaust to start production and be shipped out?

Last but not least, the price isn't that bad..the same true dual catback for a 350z is ~$1200. So it's in the same ballpark as the price for e90post members.
Depending on location, I may be able to work out some good shipping deals for the first few buyers.

Because this is a new product for us, I would say that orders will ship 2-3 days from being placed. Normally, we ship our products within a day or so.

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Appreciate 0