E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alpina B3 gearbox software??

11-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Alpina B3 gearbox software??

Having read many good reports on the 'new' Alpina B3, and how amazing and quick the gearbox is, it just disappoints me at how slow the box in the 335D is, especially coming from a couple of VW's, with the slick DSG box. In one report I have read that is is quicker than the SMG, without the harshness.

My understanding is that it is the same gearbox as in our cars?!?

Is there anyway that we can get the software for our cars, direct from Alpina - Has anyone approached them on this?

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Hi Oli

I have approached Alpina about this and they won't offer the software for the gearbox, because it is also tied into their engine ecu and they won't offer that either. The gearbox is the same 19TU unit that we have in the 335i and 335d.

Did you buy your 335d new or was it an ex-demo? Mine was an ex-demo and at first the gearbox was a bit slow to change. I had them reset the gearbox ECU (or learning capability) so that it would learn the way I drive. Now it's absolutely fine and fast changing, but smooth as well. However, I do use the paddles in 95% of driving so maybe that's why.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

I purchased mine new.

Coming from a standard auto, the box would feel fast, however I was spoilet with the DSG which is lightening fast!!!

Maybe I need to drive another, but Im seeing Si Burt on friday, so Ill have a go in his

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Had a full Progman update the other day and thats definitely changed the way the gearbox operates, also seems to have improved the MPG but I've not had it long enough to confirm that yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Oh so it's not just me then.I'd agree,it does seem slow,just put it down to a different gearbox from the E46 (which of course it is),and me getting used to the new un.
I also find a slight lag on the turbo kick in, could be me,but my remapped E46 seemed to kick in a tad quicker.

Still pleased as *uck with it though!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
Having read many good reports on the 'new' Alpina B3, and how amazing and quick the gearbox is, it just disappoints me at how slow the box in the 335D is, especially coming from a couple of VW's, with the slick DSG box. In one report I have read that is is quicker than the SMG, without the harshness.

My understanding is that it is the same gearbox as in our cars?!?

Is there anyway that we can get the software for our cars, direct from Alpina - Has anyone approached them on this?

SMG changes at .08 secs and the ALPINA auto chages at .10 (1 tenth of a sec)
So its marginally slower. but not by much.

The only way i can think of getting the software is to find someone with a B3 and copy the software ( or get a full day test drive and then take it to a good remapper to copy the software - if possible- im sure there would be a few of them upto the task)