E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Cooler Running Oil?

10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
illrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Cooler Running Oil?

Currently running Castrol Edge Synthetic LL-01 approved 0w30 oil in my 2008 E90. I have noticed oil temps 5-10 degrees warmer with this oil rather than whatever was in the car before. I also have ER dual competition oil coolers and at my last night HPDE event experienced an oil temp warning symbol with temps around 260-270.

I've got an HPDE day event coming up this next weekend and want to make sure I don't run into any more cooling issues.

It sounds like Redline and Royal Purple might both run a bit cooler. Any experiences from you guys or any suggestions on what brand to try? Outside temps are still in the 80s and 90s here in AZ.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I use RLI Bio-SynXtra Heavy Duty 5W40 in my 335i. The oil definitely runs cooler in my car compared to the dealer supplied oil which the car was running before.

Typical temps for the old oil were 245-250*F. Ever since I've changed the oil, it now tends to run at about 225-230*F. Not only that, but the oil cools down MUCH faster than before as well. After blasting through the gears and letting the car sit for a minute or two, the oil temp comes right back down to that ~230*F range almost immediately. For that reason, I have a feeling it would make for an excellent choice for HPDE events, etc. compared to other synthetics.
Appreciate 0