E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone use BMW's tips on mirror adjustment?

09-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Anyone use BMW's tips on mirror adjustment?

Put your face on the window for the driver side, align your eyes at the center of the rear view mirror for the passenger side. I tried but was scared and rolled them back.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I adjust the mirrors so that when a car in an ajacent lane is overtaking and is just going out of view in the center mirror it is just starting to show up in the side mirror. When an overtaking car is leaving the side mirror it should be visable in your peripheral vision. The end result is probably what you described.

It takes a little getting used to, but then you won't have any blind spots.
      09-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I adjust the rearview mirror so I can see what's behind me and I glance at it every 10-20 seconds to keep an eye on what's going on around me.

When I am actually going to change lanes, I turn my head to see that it's clear to do so. I do that because there are a lot of jerks out there that will actually speed up if they realize you are overtaking them, particularly if they are driving slowly in the left lane. Those jerks are the primary reason I ever have to actually use the power my engine can produce.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I read in a car magazine a long time ago that the proper way to adjust the outside mirrors is to lean up to the driver's window and adjust the mirror so that the side of the car is just visible in the inside edge of the mirror. Then lean in the seat same amount towards the passenger window and make the same adjustment to the passenger mirror.

IMO the E90 mirrors (pre-LCI) don't move out far enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I am sure. But this setup wouldn't let you see what's next to the sides of your car when you back out. When moving forward there is no need to see the sides of the car of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Traveling1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I read in a car magazine a long time ago that the proper way to adjust the outside mirrors is to lean up to the driver's window and adjust the mirror so that the side of the car is just visible in the inside edge of the mirror. Then lean in the seat same amount towards the passenger window and make the same adjustment to the passenger mirror.

That is the correct way to adjust the outside mirrors.
Once you have done that, drive in the slow lane on a highway and check to see if you can keep the cars, in the passing lane, in sight from your rear view to the side mirrors, to your driver's side window direct sight, while they are overtaking and passing you.
If you momentarily lose the passing cars in one of the transitions, try tweaking your driver's side mirror just a hair.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Car and Driver had a great little section in one recent issue on how to adjust the mirrors. I have tried it, and found that it works exceptionally well... so that's what I'm sticking with
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93 328c N52 3.0L cabriolet

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
2009 328i cabriolet  [0.00]
The tear drop shape of the side mirrors for the e93 are not practical, I miss the larger rectangular ones from my old e46. The OEM mirrors are poorly designed and useless. They are not auto dimming nor heated unless you get in hard to get packages. I prefer the European version of aspherically design which give a much wider field of vision without the convex distortions. The new 2011 models went back to the old e46 style.

Sou fanático por conversíveis...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
jmen11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I adjust the mirrors so that when a car in an ajacent lane is overtaking and is just going out of view in the center mirror it is just starting to show up in the side mirror. When an overtaking car is leaving the side mirror it should be visable in your peripheral vision. The end result is probably what you described.

This is how I set my mirrors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I am sure. But this setup wouldn't let you see what's next to the sides of your car when you back out. When moving forward there is no need to see the sides of the car of course.
Well if you can't see it in the mirror then there is nothing next to your car. Besides all you need to do is lean over to your left or right just a bit and you'll see the sides of you car.
      09-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
someone posted a video about this some time ago with an old guy going through proper driver seating position and mirror adjustment in an M6. used it since then and it opens up the field of vision big time. still takes a lot of getting used to.....it's nice seeing that little bit of your car when you're driving so you have something against which to anchor the image in the mirror.

but now its set up so much better. if a car is in both my rear mirror and side mirror, i'm guaranteed there's enough room for a lane change. if it's only in my side mirror then there's no room, and if it's in not in either mirror the car is either directly beside me or vtec just kicked in and that car is a lightyear behind me.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookah66 View Post
The tear drop shape of the side mirrors for the e93 are not practical, I miss the larger rectangular ones from my old e46. The OEM mirrors are poorly designed and useless. They are not auto dimming nor heated unless you get in hard to get packages. I prefer the European version of aspherically design which give a much wider field of vision without the convex distortions. The new 2011 models went back to the old e46 style.
Heated mirrors are standard and you get auto dimming with the premium package, probably the most widely available package on cars that are on dealer lots.
      09-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen11 View Post
Well if you can't see it in the mirror then there is nothing next to your car.
Not for the size of a small child running around when I back out out of a driveway or parking lot.

Quote:
Besides all you need to do is lean over to your left or right just a bit and you'll see the sides of you car.
I guess that is the habit I will have to make backing out. Looking through the back window, then lean forward to the left and right is a lot of work, maybe pulling your back muscle is the price you pay to drive like a pro?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Car and Driver had a great little section in one recent issue on how to adjust the mirrors. I have tried it, and found that it works exceptionally well... so that's what I'm sticking with
Me too, I read that article and changed my mirror setup right after. Works grea for me. Maybe not the best for backing up parallel to a curb or something similar but it doesn't take much work to change the mirror angle for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
96GS#007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post

My driver's side mirror is close to where I want it, but not quite there.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Quote:
I have two memory settings stored and the only thing that changes is the mirror position. One setting is for driving (set according to the manual so that you cant see the sides of your car) and the other position is for backing up (tilted a bit lower to see the curb and moved in closer so that I can see the sides of my car).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #16
jmen11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Quote:
Not for the size of a small child running around when I back out out of a driveway or parking lot.
I was referring to something static such as a post or a wall or another car. As far as a child well I think there is always a chance of bumping one if they are moving round on you no matter how you set your mirrors.

Quote:
I guess that is the habit I will have to make backing out. Looking through the back window, then lean forward to the left and right is a lot of work, maybe pulling your back muscle is the price you pay to drive like a pro?
Pull a muscle? Nah you're doing it wrong...LOL. The way I have my mirrors I just have to lean a few inches to either side and I'll be able to just see the rear quarter panel.
      09-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Here is the link to the Car and Driver mirror setup.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._spots-feature
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

The 'proper' way really does work better. The only problem with it, however, is that in Taipei we have motorcycles to deal with. They love to sit 2cm of your rear bumper....and can hide in this mirror configuration. I had to bring the mirrors in a little bit for city driving, and have them set properly for highway driving in my other memory setting.
Thankfully, my GF is too scared to drive my car, so I can use the memory functions for mirror settings just like another poster in here! Glad I'm not the only one that is this finiky about my mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
comebackidlci
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i

So according to the car and driver article, the proper way is to adjust the mirrors all the way out near its limit?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Yes comebackidlci...that's right! Much further out than one would expect...and give yourself some time to get used to it...be careful! But it really is a lot better after a few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by comebackidlci View Post
So according to the car and driver article, the proper way is to adjust the mirrors all the way out near its limit?
it's a little more precise than "all the way out near its limit", but yes, further out than most people usually set it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #22
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
The 'proper' way really does work better. The only problem with it, however, is that in Taipei we have motorcycles to deal with. They love to sit 2cm of your rear bumper....and can hide in this mirror configuration. I had to bring the mirrors in a little bit for city driving, and have them set properly for highway driving in my other memory setting.
Thankfully, my GF is too scared to drive my car, so I can use the memory functions for mirror settings just like another poster in here! Glad I'm not the only one that is this finiky about my mirrors.
Hey, you can give your secondary key FOB to another driver to use and your settings for your key FOB won't be changed.