E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Speeding ticket in SoCal: need advice.

05-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Speeding ticket in SoCal: need advice.

Dropped the wife off at Ontario Itnl Airport a couple of weeks ago, and on my way back home, (N/B I15 at 4th in Rancho Cucamonga), was stopped by one of California's finest who claims he clocked me at 80 in a 65 MPH zone. I saw him coming hard, and tagged the brakes,and as soon as my brake lights came on he lit me up.
I get home and I'm looking at the ticket, and I notice he miss-spelled my first name, checked 'no' box for CDL, (I have a CDL), and put the time of the ticket down an hour before the actual time. Because of my CDL I have to fight this. Has anyone here used ticketassassin.com, ticketbust.com, or a lawyer who specializes in these sorts of cases to success? I need to get the ball rolling here soon as I am contemplating filing a trial by written declaration.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My advice to you is if you choose to fight it, do not do the trial by declaration. I did and you're pretty much hoping someone will actually read your argument. Four typed pages, diagrams, and pics and I was still found guilty. This was years ago, when the state wasn't broke either. My advice to you, wait for the ticket to come in the mail. If there's nothing regarding your lack of driver's license and if you were actually speeding, then just do traffic school and pay the ticket. However, if youre going to fight it, in person is the only way to get an adequate chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

That's inconclusive, you're fucked! GL
      05-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
tickets with a CDL are the WORST!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
jj970
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black F30 N20

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I got one for going 80 on the 22...and everyone else was too...

You guys are saying it's not worth it to fight...really?

I was thinking about doing it, but not really sure where to start. It's $284 for the ticket and I can do traffic school.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep

Just know that if you chose to fight the ticket and lose, then you also lose the opportunity to go to traffic school. You can't go to trial and have traffic school option just in case. Once found guilty or plead no content, you'll then get screwed by your insurance for the next three years. As long as I have the opportunity to attend traffic school and mask it from the insurance company, then I'll gladly take the slap on the wrist for the fine alone....after all each time with the exception of my first ticket, I was the one speeding. I make no excuses there.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Ticketassasin is a scam, don't bother. Not much you can do, only thing you can do is hope the cop won't respond or show up in court. You can ask for advice for free at this law firm:

http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/

They were cool to me. I basically handled it on my own and luckily won b/c the cop didn't show up.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Slwdrvr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

There's no more hoping the cop doesn't show up for court date. They're now obliged to show up due to California stuck in a shithole no money pit. They're actually paid to go to court when you schedule to contest the ticket, so the best thing to do is just pay the traffic ticket fine and do traffic school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel L Jackson View Post
Ticketassasin is a scam, don't bother. Not much you can do, only thing you can do is hope the cop won't respond or show up in court. You can ask for advice for free at this law firm:

http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/

They were cool to me. I basically handled it on my own and luckily won b/c the cop didn't show up.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwdrvr View Post
There's no more hoping the cop doesn't show up for court date. They're now obliged to show up due to California stuck in a shithole no money pit. They're actually paid to go to court when you schedule to contest the ticket, so the best thing to do is just pay the traffic ticket fine and do traffic school.
+1

Take it from somebody caught doing 95 on a max 65 highway in SD. I hired a traffic attorney and they couldn't get the speeding charges excused, but they did have the fines reduced a good $200, but in the end I ended up paying $350.00 plus lawyer fee $100.00. In the end I also had to take traffic school. California is broke, my lawyer said the court is not dismissing any case right now because the state needs the money so bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Bullet
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

Yeah man I've fough two tickets with my lawyer beat both! Give him a call

Alan
He charges 300 a ticket

And the cop showed up both times btw
      05-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
darkevo
Commander
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport, 2012 Volt

I think doing the TBD is a good idea, if you are still found guilty, you can request a court trail. I'm 4 out of 5 on TBD's in the last 5 years, only the last one found guilty, and yeah it might be a lot harder to win them now with budget issues. I just used my "template" and just changed the date and numbers ..who cares if they read it or not if you win! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
My advice to you is if you choose to fight it, do not do the trial by declaration. I did and you're pretty much hoping someone will actually read your argument. Four typed pages, diagrams, and pics and I was still found guilty. This was years ago, when the state wasn't broke either. My advice to you, wait for the ticket to come in the mail. If there's nothing regarding your lack of driver's license and if you were actually speeding, then just do traffic school and pay the ticket. However, if youre going to fight it, in person is the only way to get an adequate chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep

It's a gamble either way. My thing is if you lose, then you have to deal with the increased insurance rate for the next three years. Then again, I own up to what I do and don't make excuses when I get caught red handed. That being said I rather pay the fine, court fees, traffic school, etc vs fine and increased insurance rate for 3 years...that's where the real costs come in. Simple solution to all of this though....slow down. It worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
etc335i
Trainee
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BUS PASS

Your best bet is hiring the lawyer. If not pay with traffic school. You can fight it yourself and if you don't win you can then ask the judge to still let you take traffic school. Most of the time they will
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #14
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

I say do the TBD.. I am 2 for 3 on TBDs. One reason using a TBD is good is because, it increases your chances of winning.

If you go to court and pray the cop doesnt show up, you have *1* chance to win.
If you do TBD and lose, thats *1* chance, then you can request a court trial, which is another chance to win. so you have *2* opportunities. and if the cop is there for the court trial, you can still request traffic school.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

Wow, I forgot I posted this! So here's the update: I ended up downloading the forms for Trial by Written Declaration from the court website, filled them out, mailed them in with my bail check, and waited. What everyone says about them getting paid to show up in court to testify against you is true, but when you do the TBWD they have to do a written response ON THEIR TIME! If they don't do it, it's just like they didn't show up in court, and that's exactly what happened in my case! Case dismissed, bail refunded!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
Wow, I forgot I posted this! So here's the update: I ended up downloading the forms for Trial by Written Declaration from the court website, filled them out, mailed them in with my bail check, and waited. What everyone says about them getting paid to show up in court to testify against you is true, but when you do the TBWD they have to do a written response ON THEIR TIME! If they don't do it, it's just like they didn't show up in court, and that's exactly what happened in my case! Case dismissed, bail refunded!
good for you
      03-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

Update: I got another ticket a couple of months ago. Once again, I did the Trial by Written Declaration, and won! Now if I can just stay out of trouble for awhile!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
JeffNasty
WOPWOPWOP
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White : e92

Nice!

Would i be able to do a TBWD with a car pool lane violation?

Last edited by JeffNasty; 03-16-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

I fought mine and it was 1000+ dollars with a required state ref ticket. I showed up and the cop was a no show. Just keep pushing the date of the ticket back until you can't anymore and then fight it. Most likely the cop is tired of waiting and will just fail to appear in which case, you automatically win and all of the cases get dropped like me
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

ticketkick.com

I've used in the past and was actually referred to it by my SA at the dealer.

They get you off your ticket or a money back guarantee. Should be about $200 for the services.

Trial by written declaration is the way to go and these guys are the best.

A- rating by the BBB too so it's not a scam.
      03-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #21
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I fought mine and it was 1000+ dollars with a required state ref ticket. I showed up and the cop was a no show. Just keep pushing the date of the ticket back until you can't anymore and then fight it. Most likely the cop is tired of waiting and will just fail to appear in which case, you automatically win and all of the cases get dropped like me
+1

This has worked the last few tickets i have gotten *knock on wood*
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
+1

This has worked the last few tickets i have gotten *knock on wood*
Did you have to pay a court fee? People keep telling me I have to pay it and I don't have to. Idk who to listen to :/
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0