E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Cape Verde...Any one been?

03-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Cape Verde...Any one been?

Thinking of booking a weeks break mid april and heard positive things on Cape Verde , any 1st hand experiences?

I want sun and not much else!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

A good mate of mine has recently returned, said in some of the villages he didn't feel comfortable but the general feeling and sights were amazing and he would definitely go back. He stayed in some Rui hotel on the beach. He did say it was a relaxing break, sun and nothing more like you say.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
My mate went a few years ago and said it was really windy.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
A client of mine owns a significantly sized desert there but unfortunately on a less favoured island - worth the square root of fuck all - might one day return some profit though. Other than that I know about as much as this chaps investment is worth
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Yes, I went about 6 years ago.

Was the second worst holiday I've ever had (after Cairo - that was simply horrendous). No, wait....Cape Verde still earns it's place as the first worst holiday ever because at least Egypt only lasted for 4 days! I had to endure Cape Verde for a whole week

It was extremely underdeveloped back then and the only resort (or anything resembling a fully constructed 'modern' building) wwas the Riu one (Furnana and Garopa IIRC?). We stayed in whatever the posher one was and it was shit. Maybe it's my expectations but it was not even approaching the standard I'd expect. Even though it was only 1-2 years old at the time, the place was already deteriorating, the food was average at best (downright poor in the day, the evening meals were OK but all tasted exactly the same in all the various restaurants....just how they did that I do not know!). Goodness knows what state the place will be in now!

Oh....it's all coming back to me!!! The wind. The flies. THE FLIES!! Nothing like resting by the pool after a shit soggy buffet lunch (which the flies were all over), being battered by the wind and tickled by yet more flies. I mean....how didn't I enjoy it???

Then, when I escaped the resort I was faced with a level of poverty that I've never seen first hand before. I felt so bad for them and I do hope things have moved on for them

Yes, it was relatively cheap but still cost more than, say, a 4-star hotel in one of the Canaries. OK, it was also all-inclusive but it was my first AI experience which near as damn-it put me off AI's for life! Thankfully, a decent resort in Mexico has subsequently restored my faith in AI resorts but I'm still not a real advocate of them!

Of course, there may be other resorts now and the whole place may have improved - it needed to by a significant margin but, if it were my money, it'd be going on another destination (except Cairo)

Hope that helps

Last edited by Palmnuts; 03-25-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I felt so bad for them and I do hope things have moved on for them

:
It hasn't

A bunch of holiday companies have spent a lot of money building resorts on a poverty stricken island in the middle of nowhere

There is a reason all the resorts have big walls and guards with guns.

Not fair on the people that lived there before and to be fair, there was a very good reason why this wasn't a holiday destination before hand.

If you have half a conscience then don't go and if you go anyway then you deserve everything you get.
      03-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Well, if things haven't moved on in 6+ years then thats really sad. The holiday companies are clearly bringing money into the island and if none of it is flowing to the wider populous then thats appalling.

In fact, I hate holiday companies on the whole (for different reasons) - hence I tend to book my own holidays independently (saying that, Kuoni were quite good the one time I used them)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Blimey I think thats Cape Verde ticked off the list!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Sounded quite interesting when I looked it up on Wikipedia.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I had a week on Sal last March and really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful new hotel with one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Food and the all inclusive drinks were top notch.

The rest of the island was quite baron and it was fairly windy but as a place just to relax for a week it was good.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
dobsy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I had a week on Sal last March and really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful new hotel with one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Food and the all inclusive drinks were top notch.

The rest of the island was quite baron and it was fairly windy but as a place just to relax for a week it was good.
Which hotel was that mate?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

The Melia Tortuga
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...Maria_Sal.html
Appreciate 0