E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > H&R coil over install Rear, questions

05-06-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5 (4.8is)

H&R coil over install Rear, questions

Hey guys anyone on here who has installed H&R coilvers ?

I am confused with the rear set up.

Do you re use the factory rubber lower spring purge ?

Does the adjustable spring purge go on the bottom of the springs for H&R ?

Help will be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #2
stephen335xi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 335xi pre lci

I'll try to explain it without confusing you too much because i was stuck as well when i installed them lol.

If i remember correctly for the rear you should not re use and of the rubber fittings that were on your old spring, the kit provides everything.

Now for the top you would use the biggest ring you have, it should sit inside of the metal insert that sits in the body of your car that sticks in the little hole. From there the blue spring goes inside of that, that will be your top spring.

From there you should have another metal circle that has a wall on both sides of it. That piece will go on the bottom of the blue spring and the red helper spring will go on the other side.

Now you should have a rubber washer, and the long screw piece which i believe should have 2 other pieces screwed onto it as well as a little c clip on the bottom holding it all together.

You want to take the c clip off and un screw the pieces off. From there take the piece that looks like a hockey puck (the one with the slots in it that has threads on the center of it, the one you can insert the spanner wrench around) and place it on the BOTTOM of the control arm. Then take the other hockey puck looking one that also has slots for a spanner wrench and place it on top of the control arm and screw the 2 together tightly.

From there take your last piece which is the long screw piece with the allen key insert on the bottom and screw it through both of those pieces from the top about halfway down until the threads exit through the bottom piece on the control arm. Then re insert that c clip on the bottom of the assembly. The red helper spring should then sit on top of the whole assembly you just put together, also insure you put that rubber washer on the bottom of the red helper spring it'll make it a lot easier when you want to adjust the height.

I'm sorry if it confused you even more but hopefully i was able to help, their set up is a little confusing but i like it because you can adjust the height from the bottom of the car with an Allen key without removing the wheel. I thought i had pictures of my install but i can't find them.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 04:15 AM   #3
stephen335xi
Private
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php

Here's an old post i found, looking at the picture he posted of the coilovers should give you a better idea, Goodluck
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen335xi View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php

Here's an old post i found, looking at the picture he posted of the coilovers should give you a better idea, Goodluck
Hey mate can you try linking me to that page again ? link wont open
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

does that look right ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
stephen335xi
Private
Rep

Yes that's exactly how the rear springs would go in, except the adjusters you have pictured to the left of the blue springs would go on the bottom of the red spring.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok so got it all installed, thanks steve for the help. However i kinda messed up on when it came to adjusting the ride height.

The correct way to do it is by using the allen key socket and wrench and turn the whole stem of the adjuster.
Like a not so smart person I used the front adjuster wrench to turn the adjuster perch by itself...... got a good half 1 turn on it and it wouldnt move any more so I left it alone.....

Now I realized the error and turned it back 1 notch.... do you think I could have done any permanent damage to the adjuster in this process ?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

The bottom assembly just clamps to the lower camber arm. It should be tight to the arm. The only part of the bottom assembly that should move is the inner section with the hex head on the bottom.

You're probably fine.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
rosica
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: s2000

Garage List
2001 S2000  [0.00]
2007 333xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner_27
The correct way to do it is by using the allen key socket and wrench and turn the whole stem of the adjuster.
That's what makes these much easier to adjust than most every other coil over, loved mine
      12-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Owens84qv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi, Ferrari 308QV

Garage List
Hello. Are there any pictures of how the adjuster mounts into the control arm? I'm doing mine this weekend.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owens84qv View Post
Hello. Are there any pictures of how the adjuster mounts into the control arm? I'm doing mine this weekend.

Cheers!
Here's my partial write-up: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275753

I have more pictures in my album showing how the rear suspension goes together: http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=13598
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #12
Owens84qv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wow...fantastic write-up and notes! With the pictures and tech info sheets, this helps immensely. I read somewhere that the rear tender spring went on the bottom and it just didn't make sense. Your post re-affirms what my brain was telling me. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
Owens84qv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for the instructions and pictures provided...immensely helpful! Rear install took 2.5 hours, fronts tool 1.5 hour.

The ride with these H&Rs is incredible! Not M3 firm, but much firmer than your standard 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owens84qv View Post
Thank you for the instructions and pictures provided...immensely helpful! Rear install took 2.5 hours, fronts tool 1.5 hour.

The ride with these H&Rs is incredible! Not M3 firm, but much firmer than your standard 3-series.
Yeah, I remember when I was looking into coilover options there was plenty of info on the KW and ST V1/V3s along with some info on BC Racing coilovers. The info on the H&R Street Performance coilovers was scattered and minimal so I tried to provide enough info that anyone looking to buy them wouldn't be dissuaded by the lack of info and ride quality feedback.

After driving on them for ~5K miles, I'd say I love them 95% of the time. There's the occasional times when they feel rough, but they're amazing when they need to be (quick lane changes, accel/decel, etc.). I think I'm probably going to raise the front up a little bit in the summer (currently all the way down). It won't look perfect stance wise, but it will likely improve ride quality and performance since I currently get bump steer on occasion.
Appreciate 0