E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Which Coilover doesn't cause noise/chirps and is a good performer/value?

06-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Enicinitas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray Coupe

Which Coilover doesn't cause noise/chirps and is a good performer/value?

Ok, I've read through most everything on here. I'm confused. Most people seem to end up getting KW's. However, a lot of people chime in with noise/chirp type of issues with them (I've read the thread devoted to it...). My question is how bad is this and why do vendors continue to recommend them? i.e. do only 5% or less of customers actually have issues? How do H&R,and Bilstein coilovers stack up against them? What about ATI, as per former boosted's review? I just want to get a good deal and have something that performs well. Occasional track and mostly daily driving. Thanks for all input, and sorry, this has probably been covered before and highly debated, I wouldn't post, just confused after hours of reading
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I have Dinan Stage III suspension. It cost me an arm and a leg. It's frickin awsome on the track and is civilized on the road. No chirps squeeks or clunks. You need to make the front tires wider. They tuned it with a 10mm front/rear tire stagger. Also, I highly reccomend the rear shock mounts too.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enicinitas View Post
Ok, I've read through most everything on here. I'm confused. Most people seem to end up getting KW's. However, a lot of people chime in with noise/chirp type of issues with them (I've read the thread devoted to it...). My question is how bad is this and why do vendors continue to recommend them? i.e. do only 5% or less of customers actually have issues? How do H&R,and Bilstein coilovers stack up against them? What about ATI, as per former boosted's review? I just want to get a good deal and have something that performs well. Occasional track and mostly daily driving. Thanks for all input, and sorry, this has probably been covered before and highly debated, I wouldn't post, just confused after hours of reading
You know why most vendors push them? Because there is a large profit margin in them, simple. In addition, you can purchase KW from just about any distributor where as a high quality TCKline kit must be purchased through an authorized dealer, not just your typical home garage internet only web store.

The so called noise/chirp from KWs are reduced with the Swift spring conversion you see here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316635

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329544
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

kw's suck IMO. i wouldnt pay so much without dampening abilities

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0