Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Runflat Slow Leak...any reason to take to Dealer under Warranty?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Runflat Slow Leak...any reason to take to Dealer under Warranty?

So here is the situation:

I have a 2011 335i under full factory warranty, but without tire/wheel insurance. I purchased it about 7 months ago and the rear tires (michelin runflats) were replaced by the dealer to get it into the CPO program.

The front right tire apparently has a slow leak. Every morning I get an alert saying the tire pressure is low. I take it to the local gas station and fill it up to 41 PSI as it's always around 30-35PSI.

My question is, is there any benefit to taking it to the dealer while I'm still under factory warranty, or should I just take it to America's Tire since it will likely be cheaper to replace it there? I'm curious if I'll get any discount on labor for replacing the tire or not since it's not covered under warranty?

This may sound like a stupid question, but humor me
      09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

First of all, why do you inflate to 41? I do the recommended 35/32 cold...

Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, a dealership will never plug a runflat, it must be replaced. They cannot be sure that you have not driven on it flat.

How new is this tire?

My tires are shot (4/32 or less) and so when I discovered a screw in my rear runflat, I plugged it. The plug worked and there is no leak. I've driven 110 mph on it.

In theory, a tire can never be plugged, runflat or non-runflat. It needs this mushroom patch from the inside out.

So, if this tire is worth saving, and it sounds like it is, you should go to a tire shop, have it dismounted, patched from the inside, and remounted/balanced.

I have heard that plugs allow the steel cords to be rusted out? Dunno I've plugged so many tires in my driving experience....good luck.

Don't feel bad I paid $390 for a tire warranty never used it once. Almost 3k for a BMW extended warranty never used it once. warranties do not pay in most cases. Rarely they do, but you don't go through life paying premiums on what rarely occurs....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Warranties, especially extended are more for piece of mind than anything else. Now if you recently purchase the car and it has an air leak then the dealer might replace it for you, it's worth a shot. If not though then I suggest doing what John said above and get the leak properly addressed.
      09-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
pgaplayerless
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

doubt dealer will do anything. Leaky tire is a road abuse issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

You might want to find out where it's leaking from. If it's leaking from the schraeder valve where you put the air in, that's an easy replacement and I'll bet a tire shop would do it practically free.

If it's around to bead of the tire where it's sealed against the wheel, maybe BMW would do something, but may charge you for breaking the bead, cleaning the wheel and tire, and reinflating it. A tire shop could do this for lots less $$$

If it's in the sidewall area, you're going to have to buy a new tire, sooner the better.

If it's in the tread area and the tire's relatively new, have a tire shop patch it. BMW won't help you here. If the tire's pretty worn, buy a new set or search the classifieds on this forum. I've found and purchased very good tires from members here.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
tactical723
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I purchased 2 professionally patched run flats from a tire dealer on eBay. Both tires were 99% and one even still
Had the nipples on it. They were exact matches. Best thing I purchased. Saved almost $400. My 2 tires with uneven wear from alignment
Issues. Took them up to $135. Not one issue with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies, fellas!

I checked my CPO paperwork from when I purchased the car and the inspectors inflated to 41 PSI (I think). It also says 41PSI in one of the locations inside the driver side door (near the VIN sticker, there is a tire info sticker). I will look more into the proper inflation pressure.

I will try and inspect the tire, but without a jack I'm only really able to give it a once-over from the outside, and I can't tell much. Although I did notice a slight bubble in the sidewall. Maybe I'll go take a picture of it, cause I'm guessing that may be it.

I'll head to America's Tire soon and see about the cost of replacement. I'll want to get the tread-depth checked on both front tires first.
      09-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

If the fronts end up needing to be replaced, sell the rears and get non-RFTs. There's not much love for RFTs around here and for good reasons.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
You might want to find out where it's leaking from. If it's leaking from the schraeder valve where you put the air in, that's an easy replacement and I'll bet a tire shop would do it practically free.

If it's around to bead of the tire where it's sealed against the wheel, maybe BMW would do something, but may charge you for breaking the bead, cleaning the wheel and tire, and reinflating it. A tire shop could do this for lots less $$$

If it's in the sidewall area, you're going to have to buy a new tire, sooner the better.

If it's in the tread area and the tire's relatively new, have a tire shop patch it. BMW won't help you here. If the tire's pretty worn, buy a new set or search the classifieds on this forum. I've found and purchased very good tires from members here.
Pretty much sums it up. Look for anything obvious puncturing the tread area. If you find something - DON'T pull it out. That will just make it leak faster. Take it to a tire shop and get it patched. If the source of the leak is not obvious, you can take the wheel off and put it in a bathtub and look for telltale bubbles from the leaking area.

Most shops will patch your run-flat provided the puncture is in the tread area and you have not put a lot of miles on it while flat. They can tell if you have.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
If the fronts end up needing to be replaced, sell the rears and get non-RFTs. There's not much love for RFTs around here and for good reasons.
I'm definitely considering it. It kind of throws a wrench into my plans of upgrading to 19" wheels of my choice & non-RFTs when the tread starts getting low. I didn't plan on doing that til sometime next year. I'll keep it in mind though.
      09-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post

Good advice.

Determining where the leak is coming from will determine your course of action.
      09-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, it was a nail. They said they can't patch it in that location.
      09-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since the tread on the other front tire is still good, I'm going to just replace the single tire before ditching the RFTs altogether next year.
      09-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Hmm, although that's pretty close to the edge of the tire, I feel like it might still be usable. Better safe than sorry though!