E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Unable to warm tires prior to autox run...?

04-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Question Unable to warm tires prior to autox run...?

Ok, before I get into the gist of what's wrong, keep in mind that I discovered this problem at an autox event, NOT trying to act like a sophomore in high school

I've auto-crossed my MINI Cooper S a couple dozen times, it's a manual though, and this weekend was my first event with my 335i (automatic). Before I would do a run in my MINI, I would do just a quick "burnout" to warm the front tires before the run (especially this time of year, it's still under 60* most of the time where I'm at).

I tried to "powerbrake" my 335i before my first run this weekend. My friend told me how to do it (I've never tried doing one in an automatic rwd car), and I tried... And tried... And tried. I would push the brake pedal and gas at the same time and every time the engine would rev, but the wheels stayed stationary. I made sure the DSC was off, and it was, and I tried it again, and it seemed like the ECU actually cut the throttle when the tires started to break loose. I was confused... And still am. I had to run the entire event with cold tires.

So my question is, is there any way to "powerbrake" an automatic 335i? Am I doing it wrong, or is it something that has to do with the car?

I kick myself from time to time for buying an automatic, but commuting to, in, and from downtown Chicago a few times a week won over the want to have a third pedal, especially since I already have a manual Cooper S.

Thanks guys, again, I'm not trying to trash my car or hoon, just trying to get some temperature in the rear tires so I'm not drifting all over the course.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
I believe you may be neglecting to release the brake if you are looking to effectively "burn out". Drive safe.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
mrbillytalent
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '99 e46 323i & '07 e90 335i

He's trying to do a brake stand, he doesn't have a staging area like in a 1/4mi. I have the same issue in autoX as well, and by the time you finish your run and the tires are warm....you have to wait to run again and your tires cool down again. I have seen guys get these metallic 'covers' to place over their tires after a run to keep the heat in, that's all I can think of unless you get some real dedicated stickies, which is CRAZY expensive!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I just want to confirm, you're getting this icon on the dash?

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

First off....how will heating your rear tires help you in an autocross? In your cooper, it would actually make sense...kind've. Smooth driving, camber plates and some better tires are where your gains will come from.