E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335i Project

02-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #89
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Sadly won't be ready until mid week still they've opted to re profile the sides slightly as they knew I'd moan

So more bondo

and just before I'd arrived they'd finished the off side

I didn't realise but was told the splitters as well as being bonded and filled with PU expanding foam were also fixed with a good few screws(which was done on my old E46 too) then these were taken down and smoothed over meaning the splitter is sold, flexable and will work with the bumper in terms of flexing should a kerb come into view.
There is nothing more pleasing than some pay attention to detail on yr car. You must be pleased Steve!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #90
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

It's really coming together with the moulding. Good to see they too have an attention to detail as you don't see that very often.
      02-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #91
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
It's really coming together with the moulding. Good to see they too have an attention to detail as you don't see that very often.
Its all small stuff really but tied up with paint like my old car I don't want any dramas plus I want some one who looks at the front to at this stage not actually notice it(until it's pointed out)sit mine side by side with a stock set up visually unless I told you wouldn't know the aims to tease the mind subtle yet different is my aim at the moment.

Look at your recently acquired moulded SE front bumper Raj those who know know average Jo wouldn't even know....but I'm still drawn by these 1M setups can't wait to see Shaun's
      02-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #92
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Its all small stuff really but tied up with paint like my old car I don't want any dramas plus I want some one who looks at the front to at this stage not actually notice it(until it's pointed out)sit mine side by side with a stock set up visually unless I told you wouldn't know the aims to tease the mind subtle yet different is my aim at the moment.

Look at your recently acquired moulded SE front bumper Raj those who know know average Jo wouldn't even know....but I'm still drawn by these 1M setups can't wait to see Shaun's
I am a big fan of the 1M bumper look, in fact I think it's the best front bumper option I've seen on E92. However I do seem to be seeing more and more of them, whereas the option you have selected (and which I'll also be doing when I get my bumper resprayed) does seem more unusual, I've only ever seen it on Sumil's car before - and it looked very good indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #93
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is Raj it is.....Finally got a picture of the bumper (only one though)in situ and it looks very OEM in fact I'd say from my first viewing I'd be wondering what all the fuss was about.

however look a little closer where I've circled then there's the difference

it is very very subtle but its a tad wider going up the sides and a tad deeper in where the splitter goes across the bumper towards the centre area

Look say at a standard M Sport front bumper then look above then it makes a little more sense

02-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #94
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Photo's aren't exactly great(car dirty and in/out of rain showers) but its nigh on all done...

So from this

to this

and from this

to this

lines of the skirts work really well front bumpers worked out OK, rear bumper needs another toe eye cover aftere the one I had went AWOL and the rear trim on the centre of the defussor didn't arrive on time.

Oh and the front bumper from this

to this

Fits OK (checked on the ramp)

the only thing that bugs me like everyone else who's had these skirts finished in the line from the arch to skirt doesn't quite match

its a small detail but nevertheless one that I might takea closer look at hence everyone says there a 95% fit. Pity really but something that I might re visit!

Think though different wheels might be required to stand out

Last edited by old grey steve; 02-22-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #95
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Looking good Steve!

Are these the £45 fibreglass splitters from eBay?

I'm planning to do exactly the same on my E90 LCI bumper. Do you know what filler was used?

It looks like expanding foam was used to bridge the gap between splitter and bumper?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #96
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Looks great Steve well done and molded corner splitters are a smooth touch buddy!
      02-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #97
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
usually not fond of grey cars as i find them boring but yours on the other hand is ohh myyy! Looks the bits, saw it in flesh when i popped over and it looks stunning.

InstaGram: Ajerthan
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #98
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Steve I'd been looking forward to this and it was worth the wait, you must be delighted! This looks even better than I expected, so subtle yet effective. I can't wait to get mine done now, might have to bump this mod up my list! The skirts are great, I really wouldn't worry about the arch line, it's so slight that honestly even when you point it out, it's hardly noticeable. (Where did you get the skirts from incidentally Steve?) And the rear is a massive improvement in my opinion! She's truly had a makeover Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:45 AM   #99
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Very nicely done. The front looks spot on and really subtle but enough to potentially make you think a little. Like the sides too and rear is what I wanted to do but went aero in the end.

Nice transformation for sure.
      02-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #100
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:38 AM   #101
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

looks much better than SE. but would it of not been easier and cheaper to just get m sport bumpers and skirts and paint and fit them?

i cant really tell the difference much between m sport front bumper and what you have done.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #102
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
but would it of not been easier and cheaper to just get m sport bumpers and skirts and paint and fit them?

i cant really tell the difference much between m sport front bumper and what you have done.
Here we go.

If you look a the picture of the bumper in prep you'll notice one M Sport bumper the bumpers black not my original bumper the difference is subtle the splitters are a tad deeper and longer the differences as stated are subtle hence you can't see them..... therefore I've achieved my aimits that difficult to spot
      02-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #103
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Looks great Steve, my brother had a e46 330i Clubsport so I know the look you are going for.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #104
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Liking the new look Steve, moulded splitters especially

Audi RS5 - Sold
BMW 640d Gran Coupe
BMW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #105
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
I am a big fan of the 1M bumper look, in fact I think it's the best front bumper option I've seen on E92. However I do seem to be seeing more and more of them, whereas the option you have selected (and which I'll also be doing when I get my bumper resprayed) does seem more unusual, I've only ever seen it on Sumil's car before - and it looked very good indeed.
i love TBH the 1M look I really do they are now as you say starting to become popular but that's fine by me as it's something I want to see. Fit'n'finish has been documented re these bumpers before.... As per my ethos though you can I suspect with prep get the fit to a satisfactory standard there's still something in me that wanted to take the 1M route but the heart chose the route ive opted to take as per my old 330d to go OEM but different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Looking good Steve!

Are these the £45 fibreglass splitters from eBay?

I'm planning to do exactly the same on my E90 LCI bumper. Do you know what filler was used?

It looks like expanding foam was used to bridge the gap between splitter and bumper?
Fibreglass on bumpers Len isn't fir me causes issues especially on the lower bumper area where one small knock would create a crazing issue. The splitters are actually made of the same material as the bumper the foam was used to aid strength plus allow the bumper & splitter to flex as one, small screws were then used again to add strength and maintain shape pre bondo application then the shape was built up the countour lines were established it's all very subtle Len but it works, but if you ever buy corner splitters avoid glass fibre if especially your placing them where they are vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Looks great Steve well done and molded corner splitters are a smooth touch buddy!
Sam, like your SE bumper I've done the smooth moulding thing before so am no stranger to it. When I saw Sumil's car I knew exactly what he'd done immediately it looks oh so different yet factory, it made me save a few pics of his car to my PC for inspiration and I knew when time allowed thst was what I was going to do. The only thing really re whst ive done is that Sumil's car is dark mine's a lighter colour, but if you look at Sumil's csr look at mine the lines are nigh on the same the end result is spot on, I'm very happy re how the fronts turned out the rear bumper once a couple of bits like the yow eye cover/plastic trim are put on will look great too. Side skirts add aggression again on a light car they look different the only annoying thing is the rear of the skirts where the line doesn't quite match as you'll see in the pictures above.its the only thing fit finish though achieved by the body shop is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajerthan View Post
usually not fond of grey cars as i find them boring but yours on the other hand is ohh myyy! Looks the bits, saw it in flesh when i popped over and it looks stunning.
You saw it pre work... Not post when visually it was an SE with grey wheels it did I admit grab people's attention... It's the wheels I think that do it being a darker grey then the car being thst matt grey effect seems to visually 'pull the csr down' asking it look low but it's in standard suspension. But thanks for the kind words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Steve I'd been looking forward to this and it was worth the wait, you must be delighted! This looks even better than I expected, so subtle yet effective. I can't wait to get mine done now, might have to bump this mod up my list! The skirts are great, I really wouldn't worry about the arch line, it's so slight that honestly even when you point it out, it's hardly noticeable. (Where did you get the skirts from incidentally Steve?) And the rear is a massive improvement in my opinion! She's truly had a makeover Awesome!
Seb it's turned out as I'd expected, the big thing for me is the fewer of the side skirts, I've seen a few cars in our workshop thst have had the skirts done and they all at the back look the same, these cars though have all been dark coloured where perhaps the lines are dulled by the darker colours the thing with mine is its lighter I can see the line where it does match its a small thing one day I font really notice it the next my eyes focus on the fsct thst they don't quite match at the bsck, the front of the skirt is spot on the line the skirts follow down the lengh of the csr is spot on its just the back thst hugs me.....it's something I'll either accept or will hsve to be inventive about correcting to my liking.

Skirts came from M Style PPGB also do them but when I enquired they had no TBA re stock

Quote:
Very nicely done. The front looks spot on and really subtle but enough to potentially make you think a little. Like the sides too and rear is what I wanted to do but went aero in the end.

Nice transformation for sure.
l do love the front Raj I really do its subtle but different like my old 330d, I'll get some decent rear shots once the bumpers got its final bits fitted as you walk up to it from the rear it does look nice gotta admit. As I've said already love the skirts but the back end where they are a tad short shall we say does bug me a tad but let's see where/what I do about it. It's a small thing but I like neat packages... Talking of the rear see my old 330d boot lid and think what I'm thinking about next

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Looks great.
I love it Gang it's worked out rather well overall had a picture in my mind luckily the end result is what I'd pictured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Looks great Steve, my brother had a e46 330i Clubsport so I know the look you are going for.
See the previous page rich you'll see my 330d look at that bumper and you'll see this is revisited ground for me I done this years ago everyone thought I was made the result again subtle look the nuts and when at car shows along with my blended CSL rear spoiler had everyone buzzing round the car as it looks factory yet different. Which I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts View Post
Liking the new look Steve, moulded splitters especially
Ta Skelts I'm pleased the bodywork side of things may move on a little by doing something with the boot.

But to everyone Ta for the kind words.... Haven't finished yet though think rear boot lid.... Think wheels
      02-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #106
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Skirts came from M Style PPGB also do them but when I enquired they had no TBA re stock
Thanks Steve!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:12 AM   #107
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Very nicely done. Work looks spot on. Your bodyshop guy is really good.
Bet you're over the moon!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #108
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

I really like the way your car currently looks and I've always been in LOVE with your matte GM 230's!!
Thanks for sharing the pics and btw your E46 looked AMAZING!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:39 AM   #109
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
I really like the way your car currently looks and I've always been in LOVE with your matte GM 230's!!
Thanks for sharing the pics and btw your E46 looked AMAZING!
Thanks.... It's coming along oh so slowly the matte finished 230's were a gamble seem to of gone down well though with the M3 sides and the bumpers front and rear I think they look a tad underwhelming therefire a change is due
      03-22-2015, 03:47 AM   #110
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

Quote:
Thanks.... It's coming along oh so slowly the matte finished 230's were a gamble seem to of gone down well though with the M3 sides and the bumpers front and rear I think they look a tad underwhelming therefire a change is due
underwhelming?!?! IMO they came out PERFECT! However, if you really do want to change your wheels then may I suggest getting a set of GM BBS CH's again or maybe even GM CH-R's?

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0