E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure

06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #111
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Not to my knowledge.
I always say, get the security updates as they are free and to be on safe side, hide the obd.
You never know that those gangs can find new methods.
      06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #112
mesonparticle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 330d M Sport Highline

OBD security updates and warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Not to my knowledge.
I always say, get the security updates as they are free and to be on safe side, hide the obd.
You never know that those gangs can find new methods.
Thanks! Still waiting to hear back from the dealership about the security updates.

Also, I will move the OBD as a "belt-and-braces" if the dealer can assure me that it won't invalidate my warranty!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #113
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petez View Post
DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure - another suggestion

Is removing the (2 ??) fuel pump fuses an option or would it cause problems if they tried to start it ?

I was thinking along the same lines, and wondering if removing the fuel pump fuse or splitting the wires to the ignition coil could cause engine damage. If the thief tries to start the engine the dynomo will turn the engine that is starved of fuel or spark.
In the first instance can it destroy the ignition coil, the spark plugs or drain the battery?
In the second instance can it flood the engine with excess fluid and drain the battery?
Do any of the above lead to the car throwing off fault codes?

Last edited by raj55; 06-13-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #114
mesonparticle
United Kingdom
Rep

OBD security updates - the plot thickens

So I emailed the dealer before I pick up the car with the following:

1. Can you confirm that the Car Access System (CAS) has been updated with the security fix which aims to prevent key cloning via the OBD port? I believe the CAS module needs to be updated to 9287535.
2. Can you confirm that the security fix for ‘comfort access’ has been disabled in the footwell module (FRM)? Apparently it’s easy to check by putting the key in the lock with the car locked, turning it anti-clockwise and holding it. If the windows drop then the security fix is not active.

These updates may have already been applied, but I felt it important to check in advance.

The dealer replied with:

"Security wise, the only update possible for the 330d is the comfort opening one. This can be done on the car but it may need booking in by you as 'the customer' to demonstrate to BMW that an owner has requested the software to be changed."

Is he saying that the 330d (it's a 2009/59) does not need the CAS update, it's not physically possible or it's not 'applicable' as it's already been done?

Now I'm confused!

Also, should I be charged for the request for the security update for the change to the window drop?

** EDIT **

Have just heard back from the dealer. The update to the CAS was completed as part of the Approved Used check so everything is up-to-date regarding the security. They have also promised to remove the Comfort Access before collection.

Last edited by mesonparticle; 06-13-2013 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: New information
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #115
mesonparticle
United Kingdom
Rep

Integration level - UIF

Picking up the car tomorrow, is it unreasonable to ask for a print of the UIF page or ask for details of the integration level of the car?

Would like to check what version the CAS is on and when it was updated.

Am just cautious about accepting BMW dealerships word for it. Need I be so suspicious?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #116
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport June 2009

Shock Sensor and Ultrasonic sensor

I fitted the shock sensor some months ago as per the DIY on the forum, I also added a few hopefully helpful pics and comments. For me it has been fine, no false triggers and only one actual where someone I think knocked the mirror.
The sensor adjust turned down a fraction from the factory set would easily trigger from a window being broken, even with an auto punch.

I've just been doing a few coding updates to the alarm (chirp etc) and during this I've realised how insensitive the ultra sonic interior detector is. I could just about climb into the car (slowly) and it would not trigger... Is this normal ?

Is there anyway to increase the sensitivity, coding or other..?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #117
Shere
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i SE Auto (2007)

Been reading this thread, some very good info, loving the cheapy tracker, no brainer as far as I can see!

Hiding the OBD port seems like the minimum someone should do, but I am intrigued by the extending it option. Surely if you add an extension cable then the original obd port still exists? So any potential robber could still access the original port?

When I get mine hiding, stickers and tracker are defo on the menu!

Moving maybe if I can understand the value, moving only made sense to me if following this route, though would have no idea how to :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giff View Post
The other option here is a quick trip to maplins and buying a pair of connectors to completely remove the OBD port in such a way that you can reconnect it easily and at your leisure.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #118
andy500
Rep
Drives: E90 330i touring

I'm getting an '06 330i shortly... and my plan to keep it involves...

1 - removing the OBD port from it's brackets, hiding it under the plastic panels and adding a 1 metre extension cable from ebay allowing relocation and easy access elsewhere. £5.
2 - one of those Bimmian lock covers for the drivers door. £55.
3 - recoding to remove comfort access and keycoding without original key being present in the dash. £no-idea.
4 - a Clifford 330X1 alarm - a canbus type which will hopefully work off the original key. £250-ish.
5 - not feeding my children as much, and teaching them that car thieves carry chocolate. £free!

Anyone have a Clifford 330 alarm - any experiences good/bad?

Ta!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #119
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE

Apologies that this is not a daft question, as I have done a bit of searching and cannot find the answer, but if my E92 was built before 03/2007, does this mean that my car cannot be stolen by cloning the key?

I phoned the BMW helpline and they said my car probably does not need a security update due to its build date.

Last edited by Emeye; 07-28-2014 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: spulling mixtake
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #120
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye
Apologies that this is not a daft question, as I have done a bit of searching and cannot find the answer, but if my E92 was built before 03/2007, does this mean that my car cannot be stolen by cloning the key?

I phoned the BMW helpline and they said my car probably does not need a security update due to it's build date.
I was told the same thing.
I know somebody who has jan 07 car and it was stolen.
So moving your obd is the least you can do.
      07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #121
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was told the same thing.
I know somebody who has jan 07 car and it was stolen.
So moving your obd is the least you can do.
I suspect it may just be a BMW self imposed date to limit the number of cars they have to reprogram, hoping older cars are less likely to be stolen as less desirable.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #122
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

When I spoke to CS they said the blade keys were safe but not the cartridge type keys. Then he started talking about how more Audi were stolen... I lost interest at that point.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #123
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I checked my exact build date of my E92 - 21.02.2007 - Right on the edge of the cut off date, but I definitely have a cartridge key.

BMW CS have told me to speak to a dealer now to check.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #124
MrDunleavy
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport Coupe 2008

I've been reading about a couple of these options myself. I was chatting to a friend the other day who said it is possible to relocate the ODB and utilise the default ODB location to add lives and earths which will fry a thief's module. Does anyone have a link or info?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #125
White Night
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series 320d

I am new to the BMW world with a e90 and all this car theft is starting to scare me. I am DIY useless and want my car as protected as I possibly can make it. I was reading up on the Viper system and it sounds really good and will be fitted for me which is a plus. But my concern is have robbers found a way around this sytem?

Does anyone now the cost of it also?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #126
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Its 500 plus.
You can search for security switch where people install a switch breaking the communication to can system which actually works well.
      01-07-2015, 02:09 AM   #127
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

OPINONS PLEASE

i have a 2007 57 plate e92, i want to take it to bmw for the latest security updates, but as ive retrofited a few things such as CIC, COMBOX, PADDLES, AND MADE ALOT OF OTHER CODINGS AND ADDITIONS TO MY VO.

IM THNKING THEY WOULD JUST TURN ME AWAY AND NOT DO THE UPDATES??
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS TO GET THE NEW UPDATES. CAN THEY BE DONE WITH WINKFP?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #128
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajandrifter View Post
OPINONS PLEASE

i have a 2007 57 plate e92, i want to take it to bmw for the latest security updates, but as ive retrofited a few things such as CIC, COMBOX, PADDLES, AND MADE ALOT OF OTHER CODINGS AND ADDITIONS TO MY VO.

IM THNKING THEY WOULD JUST TURN ME AWAY AND NOT DO THE UPDATES??
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS TO GET THE NEW UPDATES. CAN THEY BE DONE WITH WINKFP?
i dont think they will turn you away. the average salesman probably wont know the stuff is retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #129
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Not sure if this idea has been suggested yet.

You can rewire the ODB port pins to any random configuration you wish.

Then get a simple OBD adapter like you get with some K+DCAN cables and rewire pins to convert your random pin pattern back to standard ODB2.

This way, if anyone plugs anything into he ODB2 socket without your unique adapter - it will fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #130
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

Then get a simple OBD adapter like you get with some K+DCAN cables and rewire pins to convert your random pin pattern back to standard ODB2.

This way, if anyone plugs anything into he ODB2 socket without your unique adapter - it will fail.
GREAT IDEA, I HAVE AN ADAPTER SO MAY TRY THIS.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #131
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajandrifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

GREAT IDEA, I HAVE AN ADAPTER SO MAY TRY THIS.
Let us know how you get on. Having tested a few solutions. This is my favourite.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:47 AM   #132
MrNoisy
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ask them to update your car modules to avoid any theft.

There is a lot of confusion around what is security update and how it works?

I will try to explain.

There are two modules which should be updated for the security purpose;

1- CAS: Vital: With updated software, you cannot clone a new key, till you insert you ket into the slot.

2- FRM: Important but not mandatory: With the updated software, it avoids the dropping of the window with the key/ other methods.

A good dealer should update both of these, but in common practice, I have seen some of them updating just CAS.

HTH.
Apologies for a bit of a thread resurrection here, but have a deposit down on my first BMW, an E92 M3, and having moved from 11 years of Subaru Impreza ownership it's alarmed me to see quite how bad standard security setup seems to be on these vehicles - the last thing I want to do is spend the most I've ever done on a car and have it nicked!

The one I've purchased is a 2012 model with E89X-11-09-503 "integration level" according to the dealer.
Whilst from what I can tell this addresses most of the earlier issues with gearbox, iDrive and so on, but the fact that the car's OBD2 port may still be vulnerable frightens me, and I've seen posts which say the BMW OBD2 fix only stops the windows rolling down and still doesn't prevent a key being cloned.

Can anyone confirm for certain for me whether this is or isn't true?
Securemycar have told me all cars remain vulnerable, but this contradicts that - obviously I'd prefer to have the cheaper and less hassle option of a software update on the car rather than punting £600 odd on an alarm system I might not need!
I can see it looks like it's possible to have chirps, flashes, siren volume and so on re-coded on the standard system anyway.

All help appreciated, be gentle I'm still learning all about these as they're a far more complex animal than the average Impreza .
Appreciate 0