E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Left rear light outage - e92 - Please help.

10-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
yellowducky
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe / AW / Stock

Left rear light outage - e92 - Please help.

Hi guys, my left reat light is out on my e92 07. I have checked all four light bulbs and everyone of them is workingproperly. Turn signal, the two break lights and backup light are all working properly. Is there an extra bulb that I am missing somewhere? Please help.

Name:  light.jpg
Views: 9290
Size:  128.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

it will say bulb is out because it detects it will be bad soon even though the bulb may still work properly. Just change out your brake light bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
yellowducky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ant View Post
it will say bulb is out because it detects it will be bad soon even though the bulb may still work properly. Just change out your brake light bulbs.
Thank for your responds. I am having concern not because of the warning light is on, but the actual rear tail light is gone, I have switched all four light bulbs to the right and they work perfectly, however, when I put them back to the left, the lower rear light, the one that normal turns on when you have your xenons on, stays out. If all four bulbs are working properly, why the rear tail light is still off. I am just wondering is there a fifth bulb at the rear that we are not able to reach or change. I need help. I don't want to drive to the dealership for the bulb. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
i believe that there are two bulbs within the brake tailights on each side. Most likely one of those are out. You can only tell when it is realy dark outside. In normal conditions you would not be able to tell. My car had a similar problem like that. Check that out.
      10-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
There was a service bulletin out for a faulty bulb holder.

Symptoms were exactly as you describe.

If you're under warranty, take it in and mention the service bulletin to them. Not sure of the # since BMWTIS stopped allowing hotlinking.

If you're not under warranty, try coating the bulb bases with electrical contact promoter.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
yellowducky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
i believe that there are two bulbs within the brake tailights on each side. Most likely one of those are out. You can only tell when it is realy dark outside. In normal conditions you would not be able to tell. My car had a similar problem like that. Check that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
There was a service bulletin out for a faulty bulb holder.

Symptoms were exactly as you describe.

If you're under warranty, take it in and mention the service bulletin to them. Not sure of the # since BMWTIS stopped allowing hotlinking.

If you're not under warranty, try coating the bulb bases with electrical contact promoter.
Thank you guys for your help. I did a test today on the right side (The working side) of the tail light by unpluging all four blubs out from the bulb holder. Surpringly the same light that is out on my left side still lits up. There got to be a 5th bulbs somewhere that I am not able to reach. Please help.

Name:  light1.jpg
Views: 4978
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  light2.jpg
Views: 4861
Size:  102.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
dzikidzik
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Did you solve your problem? I have a similar problem with my rear light (except that only 1 of 3 led "lines" does doesnt work).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I've had this problem with the part of my drivers side taillight mounted on the trunk for a while. Looks stupid.

Took it to dealership after giving up on figuring it out myself. It needs to be replaced. But it's cheaper to order the LED LCI tails from EAS a d install myself so that's the route I'm going with a new harness too.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
yellowducky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
I've had this problem with the part of my drivers side taillight mounted on the trunk for a while. Looks stupid.

Took it to dealership after giving up on figuring it out myself. It needs to be replaced. But it's cheaper to order the LED LCI tails from EAS a d install myself so that's the route I'm going with a new harness too.
Thanks for your responds. I took my car to the dealership too and learned the same thing. I am thinking of going LED LCI Tails too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzikidzik View Post
Did you solve your problem? I have a similar problem with my rear light (except that only 1 of 3 led "lines" does doesnt work).
No, not yet. Maybe you should convert to LED LCI too.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

On that note, EAS has said they now have the capability of programming the FRM II to accept these lights. This cuts down your costs by about $300 I think. Before, you also had to order the FRM 3 unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
yellowducky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
On that note, EAS has said they now have the capability of programming the FRM II to accept these lights. This cuts down your costs by about $300 I think. Before, you also had to order the FRM 3 unit.
Great. How much do they cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
So I noticed that one of the lines on my outer left tailight is off (just one, the middle one is off) ... I went to a BMW shop to ask them to help me change a bulb... they said It is not replaceable and persuaded me to upgrade to LCI... ????? ... So i decided to check it myself... so to make the story short... it is just one bulb that is busted... easy fix... just unscrew 3 8mm nuts and pop out the lights (be careful not to drop it) then at the center of the tailight there is a clip that holds the bulb holder... you can easily see how many bulbs is there (1 amber and 3 clear) ... just replace the busted ones and make sure they are PROPERLY SEATED and SECURE (there is a teethed clip that holds each bulb in place, make sure they are tight and secure) for proper connection... and there you go... you are back in order again... sometimes you just need to get to know your car... it is like a girl.... you need to fiddle with them
Appreciate 0