E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Dyno

01-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
ear997s
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Dinan Dyno

Hi folks,

I have been a longtime viewer of this forum. I have had my 335i since October 2006. I absolutely love the car. I have been very interested in the potential with this car especially coming from an E46 M3. It is amazing to see how close the performance of the E90 335i is to my old car.

After 20,000 miles of blissful driving I decided to go with the Dinan Flash. My days of max power and messing with a piggy back computer are behind me. I must be getting old at the age of 33! Over the years have had a couple WRXs in various states of tune, a supercharged E36 328i, and the M3. I still have a 93 Sentra SE-R with close to 400hp that I will probably never get rid of.

With the 335i, I wanted more power with zero hassle. I am not saying the other products out there always cause problems. It certainly looks like the problems have been few and far between. The power numbers have also been very impressive. I have built a good relationship with my local BMW dealer over the past years as this is my fourth BMW. Thus, I thought the logical step for me would be to purchase the Dinan flash.

As with many others, I was a little leery of the price, not because I couldn't afford it, but because I was worried about the results for paying close to $2000. After having done so, I am very happy with my decision. The car is significantly quicker! The throttle response is slightly different and does take a little getting used to. Well I took the car to the dyno yesterday after having a few stock pulls last Saturday. Here are the results:

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the improvement over stock!! Peak gains of 51hp and 76lb/ft to the wheels. The car is much improved is so many ways! For comparison sake, my stock E46 M3 made 277hp and 234lb/ft. Again, for ME, it was the right purchase. I don't want to mess with the car much at all. Those days are over for me. Take care.

Eric R.

07 335i
06 997s
93 Sentra SE-R
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Looks good, congrats on everything...
      01-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Good gains there, and the curve looks pretty good as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Thanks for the post, how long have you had the flash before you re-dynoed?
      01-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
ear997s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
Thanks for the post, how long have you had the flash before you re-dynoed?

I have had the flash installed since Wednesday. I will probably dyno it again in a couple of weeks.

Eric R.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ear997s View Post
Hi folks,

I have been a longtime viewer of this forum. I have had my 335i since October 2006. I absolutely love the car. I have been very interested in the potential with this car especially coming from an E46 M3. It is amazing to see how close the performance of the E90 335i is to my old car.

After 20,000 miles of blissful driving I decided to go with the Dinan Flash. My days of max power and messing with a piggy back computer are behind me. I must be getting old at the age of 33! Over the years have had a couple WRXs in various states of tune, a supercharged E36 328i, and the M3. I still have a 93 Sentra SE-R with close to 400hp that I will probably never get rid of.

With the 335i, I wanted more power with zero hassle. I am not saying the other products out there always cause problems. It certainly looks like the problems have been few and far between. The power numbers have also been very impressive. I have built a good relationship with my local BMW dealer over the past years as this is my fourth BMW. Thus, I thought the logical step for me would be to purchase the Dinan flash.

As with many others, I was a little leery of the price, not because I couldn't afford it, but because I was worried about the results for paying close to $2000. After having done so, I am very happy with my decision. The car is significantly quicker! The throttle response is slightly different and does take a little getting used to. Well I took the car to the dyno yesterday after having a few stock pulls last Saturday. Here are the results:

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the improvement over stock!! Peak gains of 51hp and 76lb/ft to the wheels. The car is much improved is so many ways! For comparison sake, my stock E46 M3 made 277hp and 234lb/ft. Again, for ME, it was the right purchase. I don't want to mess with the car much at all. Those days are over for me. Take care.

Eric R.

07 335i
06 997s
93 Sentra SE-R
Looks good... but what octant was this on and were both runs CF:SAE.

Thanks

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I have had the flash installed since Wednesday. I will probably dyno it again in a couple of weeks.

Eric R.
Eric

Your torque curve looks a bit different from mine.

What octane gas are you running?

Air Temp?

6mt or AT?

I assume you had to get the oil cooler, do you find the car runs cooler now?

I'll be heading to the dyno again shortly.

Thanks for the information!
      01-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

thanks for posting! I'm a little surprised that dinan didn't keep torque "profile" of the stocker - meaning a little more torque at lower than 3500 revs

Nice numbers, and overall that looks like a VERY drivable curve! congrats
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Hi folks,

Eric R.

07 335i
06 997s
93 Sentra SE-R

Thanks for sharing the results! Numbers look good. It will be interesting to see the dyno numbers again after your car has had a while to "adapt" to the new flash.

I can't wait until my car is ready with the flash. Still waiting for an oil cooler...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahwerx View Post
thanks for posting! I'm a little surprised that dinan didn't keep torque "profile" of the stocker - meaning a little more torque at lower than 3500 revs

Nice numbers, and overall that looks like a VERY drivable curve! congrats

My torque curve looks a bit different from the OP. Regardless, the numbers seem to be inline with Dinan advertised claims (actually 5rwhp more).

Advertised
RWHP
Stock 296
Dinan 342
+46

OP
Stock 265
Dinan 316
+51

And 75+ lbs/torque

Good numbers, but the best part of the flash is the improved driveability.

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-06-2008 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
ear997s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
Eric

Your torque curve looks a bit different from mine.

What octane gas are you running?

Air Temp?

6mt or AT?

I assume you had to get the oil cooler, do you find the car runs cooler now?

I'll be heading to the dyno again shortly.

Thanks for the information!
Sorry, I forgot to post that rather important data!

93 Octane from Shell.

I think the dyno was reading about 60 degrees.

6MT.

I have the factory oil cooler. The car seems to run slightly cooler, maybe 10 degrees. I will pay a little more attention to that.

All runs were CF: SAE smoothing 5.

Eric R.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Throttle Response

Eric,

Nice post.

Question: could you expand upon your comment that the throttle response is different and it takes a little getting used to. You are not the first Dinan owner to say this. But could you do a short comparison from what the response is under the Dinan Tune compared to the response under the stock tune?

Thanks a ton for any information.

~Mark

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Interesting Curves

The one thing I notice about this graph is how much significantly less horsepower and torque the Dinan tune produces above 5,500 rpms as compared to stock. Does the Dinan tune feel LESS strong in the higher rpms compared to stock?

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
The car is significantly quicker! The throttle response is slightly different and does take a little getting used to.
Eric,
congrats on the flash, I'm most likely going down the same path as you with the Dinan flash but will wait till the weather gets better.

Most importantly, how's throttle response different from before? Do you see a difference at <50% throttle or up high?

thx
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Eric,

Nice post.

Question: could you expand upon your comment that the throttle response is different and it takes a little getting used to. You are not the first Dinan owner to say this. But could you do a short comparison from what the response is under the Dinan Tune compared to the response under the stock tune?

~Mark
You read my mind, I just posted the same question
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
ear997s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Eric,

Nice post.

~Mark
Hi Mark,

It is a little tough to describe in words. I will do my best. It feels as if you have to push the pedal a little further down for the real fun to begin. The part-throttle feel is different. I would say it is below 50% throttle. It is a different sensation than stock. I don't hammer the car all of the time so it is not too much of an issue for me. But the sensation is definitely different. It would not, however, sway my decision if I were going to purchase it.

Hope that helps.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
You read my mind, I just posted the same question
I do what I can

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Mark,

It is a little tough to describe in words. I will do my best. It feels as if you have to push the pedal a little further down for the real fun to begin. The part-throttle feel is different. Does that make sense? It is a different sensation than stock. I don't hammer the car all of the time so it is not too much of an issue for me. But the sensation is definitely different. It would not, however, sway my decision if I were going to purchase it.

Hope that helps.

Eric
Thanks for mentioning that Eric. Exactly the thing I felt when driving a Dinan flashed car. Of course, my comment was met with disdain and suspicion Good review btw

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mark,

It is a little tough to describe in words. I will do my best. It feels as if you have to push the pedal a little further down for the real fun to begin. The part-throttle feel is different. Does that make sense? It is a different sensation than stock. I don't hammer the car all of the time so it is not too much of an issue for me. But the sensation is definitely different. It would not, however, sway my decision if I were going to purchase it.

Hope that helps.

Eric
Thanks!! We keep hearing this and I can decide whether this will bother me, I like the quick and powerful response I get now when I only hit the peddle a little.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #20
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Thanks for mentioning that Eric. Exactly the thing I felt when driving a Dinan flashed car. Of course, my comment was met with disdain and suspicion Good review btw

-shiv
yeah, but shiv, if people responded with kindness and love there would be no drama and then people would forget that their in e90post.......hehehehe.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #21
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post

-shiv

1 hour to the minute...... right on time Shiv

Thanks for the dyno OP.
      01-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #22
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
This was the problem that I had with the Xede. Part throttle was very jerky like the car didn't know what to do. This is interesting because I was expecting the Dinan flash to be smoother.

Quote:
Hi Mark,

It is a little tough to describe in words. I will do my best. It feels as if you have to push the pedal a little further down for the real fun to begin. The part-throttle feel is different. I would say it is below 50% throttle. It is a different sensation than stock. I don't hammer the car all of the time so it is not too much of an issue for me. But the sensation is definitely different. It would not, however, sway my decision if I were going to purchase it.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0