E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Has Anyone Ever Used Insurance to Upgrade Exterior Parts?

04-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Question Has Anyone Ever Used Insurance to Upgrade Exterior Parts?

My bumper is completely trashed and I was curious if anyone has used their insurance company to upgrade parts.
It would seem like the insurance company would want the same part put on but then again, they may just want to fix the damaged part.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

I recently got hit from behind and the company assessed the damagae as x amount and just cut me a check. You can then take it to a shop and have them fight for additional costs that came up during replacement.

Around here insurance will only cover the cost of the part to be replaced. The rest is on you to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
The adjuster will just assess the damage and cut you a check and do what you want with it. All you goona eat is the deductible and your premium will go up.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ❤

If you're going through the insurance then I suggest getting the repair work done at a BMW body shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Get it done OEM if you want original parts. If you want to upgrade parts, have them come inspect and quote you, and say you're having a third party shop you 'trust' do the work.They will send an adjuster out and write you a check. If you give them a shop, they will try to monitor everything and they won't be able to get any margin on the prices/quotes. Always have it 'done' by a third party shop so they write you a check. If you just want it oem, put it in the hands of your favorite dealer because they will fight and argue the OEM expenses with the insurance company. Some shops are a member of insurance companies 'programs' where the insurance company trusts them to do their own quotes. You don't want that if you're trying to go with after market parts because they are required to provide a lot of details about the parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

insurance = deductible plus increased rates for the foreseeable future

why on earth would you even think about doing that?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Alan@PYSpeed.com[retired]
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

this is probably covered under the "other than collision" portion of your policy. you can claim that your car was hit by road debris, damaging your bumper.

Web: www.PYSpeed.com (Facebook | Twitter) Aim: Mai6474
Wheels | Performance | Suspension | Exterior | Lighting | Carbon Fiber Wrap

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

just so there is no misunderstanding here, insurance companies are not in the business of handing out free dough - expect a rate hike if you make a claim
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
just so there is no misunderstanding here, insurance companies are not in the business of handing out free dough - expect a rate hike if you make a claim
If you make a claim and are deemed at fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
If you make a claim and are deemed at fault.
The being at fault part just determines if the insurance company can go after another party (if you are not at fault)

If they pay you, regardless of at fault or not, your claims will likely go up in the near future. Having a history of claims makes you higher risk, and if you are at fault, you will pay even more. Would an insurance company not adjust the rates of a customer who continually made not at fault claims? Actuarial assumptions are based on averages; average risk for a class of driver in this zip code, etc.
When you start making repeat claims, you move out of the average zone.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's not entirely correct. Int he past, I had a car catch on fire and I paid the $500 deductible without any affecting my rates.

Another car was vandalized a couple years later and insurance covered it again with no rate change, only a deductible.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
That's not entirely correct. Int he past, I had a car catch on fire and I paid the $500 deductible without any affecting my rates.

Another car was vandalized a couple years later and insurance covered it again with no rate change, only a deductible.
perhaps its that we get screwed in Ontario for making any type of claim... you are lucky that your rates did not go up. I nearly wrote off my last car because a minivan driver cut me off trying to get into a fast food drive thru. My rates went up because the minivan took off after I crashed into a telephone pole. The insurance company said that since there was no other party to go after, I was automatically at fault, even though I had a police report, description of the van, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

the adjuster will come out to the shop you choose and assess the cost of the damage. you will be given a check. tell the body shop that you want to put on a bumper other than the stock one, and they'll explain your options.

for example, my front bumper was slightly damaged by a careless driver back at the beginning of 08. I took it to Spectrum Collision in Irvine. They pushed for the bumper to be completely replaced, and had the stock E92 bumper ready, but I told them I was going to supply my own bumper. So I ordered the m-tech front and dropped it off for them, at which point they reimbursed me with a check equal to the value of the stock bumper. So if you're thinking of using this insurance claim to "upgrade" your front bumper, you'll most likely be paying the difference out of pocket.

of course, how much you pay will vary depending on which shop you take it to and how close your relationship with that shop is. I wanted everything done right (especially since very few people had the mtech front at that time and I wanted a flawless installation of the air ducts, etc) so I took it to a BMW-certified one.
      04-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Pug
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90

wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
The being at fault part just determines if the insurance company can go after another party (if you are not at fault)

If they pay you, regardless of at fault or not, your claims will likely go up in the near future. Having a history of claims makes you higher risk, and if you are at fault, you will pay even more. Would an insurance company not adjust the rates of a customer who continually made not at fault claims? Actuarial assumptions are based on averages; average risk for a class of driver in this zip code, etc.
When you start making repeat claims, you move out of the average zone.
Dude,
please stop making this claim. Your experience may have sucked, but this is absolutely incorrect as an across the board generalization. I have made several no fault claims and have never experienced a rate hike. Maybe you should get a different insurer, you seem to be getting jacked. I don't know about Canada, but I can't see why that would make any difference. Age under 25, multiple at fault incidents might, but getting nailed by someone else not paying attention does not always mean you get increased rates.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
for example, my front bumper was slightly damaged by a careless driver back at the beginning of 08. I took it to Spectrum Collision in Irvine. They pushed for the bumper to be completely replaced, and had the stock E92 bumper ready, but I told them I was going to supply my own bumper. So I ordered the m-tech front and dropped it off for them, at which point they reimbursed me with a check equal to the value of the stock bumper. So if you're thinking of using this insurance claim to "upgrade" your front bumper, you'll most likely be paying the difference out of pocket.
Exactly what my insurance company would do, which is AAA.

I thought about doing Mtech rear after my car was rear-ended for the second time like years ago, and the bodyshop (local BMW-certified) basically told me that I will have to order the mtech bumper on my own and the insurance company basically will give me the check an OEM rear. I need to pay for the difference, which is only $150 more if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately I was really busy with school at the time and had no time to deal with this, so I passed up the opportunity.
      04-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I have been thinking about upgrading to the M-Tech bumper after some road debris hit the front of my car and cracked the bumper. I just don't have time to deal with it right now but I realy hope the insurance company will just pay me for the stock bumper and I'll pay the difference
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The insurance company is going to charge a deductible which will be range from $250 - $1000 depending on your coverage. That means that the damage will have to exceed your deductible and you will have to pay the deductible out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

I had an ebay lip on my car before my wife damn near pulled my bumper off. I got a brand new bumper with a oem lip to replace it, courtesy of USAA.
      04-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton_wong View Post
If you claim damage to your car as vandalism or hit and run, your deductible should not go up. Ive have my car vandalized in the past and no rate change. I believe my insurance allows 1 time per year without lifting an eye brow.

The only concern is your deductible amount. And if the current bumper is damaged enough to warrant replacement.
Deductibles don't increase and decrease, your rates do.

Your insurance company is non-standard if they allow one claim without charging a deductible a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
doggiedog
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i 6MT SG/BL

I got hit in my rear bumper in December. Insurance said the bumper needed to be replaced. They paid for a new bumper and labor and I spent $150 out of pocket to upgrade to an M-Tech bumper that the body shop procured for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
Exactly what my insurance company would do, which is AAA.
yup, that's what the other guy's insurance company was!