E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > aux fan on high during cold start up, normal?

10-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
rxtasy
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

aux fan on high during cold start up, normal?

When it started getting colder I noticed that the aux fan would run high for a bit after a cold start up. Not right away but after a couple minutes. It was really loud. Took it to my indie and he said the fan was going bad. Replaced with new fan.

Problem- fan still comes on high after cold start up and then stops after a minute or so. it is not as loud as before because of the new fan however I'm still wondering why it is coming on high after start up and then goes away.

Question- is this normal? never noticed it past but was probably not listening for it like now. I've read other topics at other auto sites about how this helps warm up the engine quicker. Here is a quote from a porsche site:

"Fan is secondary air pump that runs upon cold start
and feeds air to exhaust system at exhaust ports. This air helps burn fuel that makes it through cold engine. This burning helps heat up converters quicker. "

This seems to make sense, any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
crizzo
Stock rules!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

BUMP: I'm getting a loud fan noise on cold starts as well. Doubt it has to do with temp because it happens in the AM and the PM.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

check for codes. specifically water pump or thermostat.
Appreciate 0