E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Nice basic tech info on Cold Air Induction

08-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice basic tech info on Cold Air Induction

Quote:
Cold Air Induction

As any chemist knows, the colder that air is, the more dense it is, and denser air will provide more oxygen in any given volume (i.e. inside the engine cylinder), allowing your engine to burn more fuel and generate more power. A common rule of thumb is that decreasing the air intake temperature by 10 degrees F will increase horsepower and torque by 1%. The converse is also true. The problem with most stock engine intake systems is that they consist of just a box with a filter located somewhere in the engine bay where it fit. This box justs draws in the hot air from under the car's hood and is probably not in the best place to draw cooler air. Furthermore, they tend to be quite restrictive, in an attempt to reduce underhood noise. Aftermarket "short ram" air intakes (that look like a cone on a pipe) are less restrictive and might provide a few more extra horsepower. However, they suffer from the same problem as stock systems in that they draw in the underhood air. Therefore, they work nicely after the car has been sitting overnight, but actually decrease in performance once the engine (and thus under-hood temperature) heats up. The better aftermarket systems try to locate their intake tip in an area under the engine bay that might have cooler air, such as near the bottom of the car or by the grille. This arrangement helps out by drawing slightly cooler air than that generally found under the hood and thus results in more of a power gain.

The only way to solve the problem of hot under-hood air is to get air from somewhere else. The solution is what is called a true cold air induction system, but is commonly called "Ram Air" (Pontiac invented that name). There are two common techniques used by these systems. The first is to draw air from the outside either through holes in the hood, or through openings in the grille into air ducts that channel the air through the air filter and into the carburetor. In almost all cases, the carb is sealed off from getting any air from under the hood. In fact, you can easily stall the engine by covering the holes on the hood or grille that feed the carb because the carb does not receive air from any other means. Oftentimes, the hood vents will actually be scoops or are raised from the rest of the hood, to capture air as it flows over the hood. Performance can be increased if these scoops are at least 1" above the surface of the hood, because the air flows faster than right at the hood's surface. Thus, the air flowing over the hood is "ramed" into the scoops, through the air ducts, and into the engine. While most scoops either point upwards or forward, Chevrolet pioneer their "Cowl Induction" system which featured a backward facing scoop right at the base of the windshield. This scoop actually received air that was forced backwards after hitting the windshield.

The second technique is to move the entire air filter & carb assembly out from under the hood. The most common examples are Shaker hoods where the air filter (usually in a protective and decorative cover) physically juts out of the hood through a hole in the hood. Thus, the air is drawn directly from the outside, without having to go through any piping. It is called a Shaker hood because the air filter cover actually can be seen shaking as the engine vibrates. This technique also has a greater benefit the higher off of the hood it is. Most high performance race cars use this technique and, with carb risers, often have intake systems 6" - 10" higher than the rest of the hood.

Here's the website link.
      08-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

cool read
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

nice to know!
      08-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

cool.

ive been wondering about the idea of having a vent that pushes hot air out of the hood. do you guys think that would help?
      08-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

doesn't our air intake get ducted straight in from the grill though?

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
doesn't our air intake get ducted straight in from the grill though?
Yes, but I felt this info is important nonetheless as it applies particularly to those who replace the stock intake with aftermarket ones that suck in hot engine air.
      08-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
thanks for the info... a good read. Explains why the Fujita short ram intake is a no-win. Any luck with the DIY CAI system?
      08-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Yes, but I felt this info is important nonetheless as it applies particularly to those who replace the stock intake with aftermarket ones that suck in hot engine air.
Exactly! Thats why most CAI fail to produce any result based on that alone. More often stock intake does a better job.
      08-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
thanks for the info... a good read. Explains why the Fujita short ram intake is a no-win. Any luck with the DIY CAI system?
I have all the parts I need to make it, but I'm procrastinating. Haven't had a good evening to take off bumper, cut, and reinstall. I'm getting lazy!