E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > custom ps2 install e90

11-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Attack

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Question custom ps2 install e90

hey guys working on fitting a ps2 slim in the back plate of the fold down cup holders on the e90. im going to use the diy for removing parts of the back seat to see if its possible to set something back there with enough clearence for the armrest, it seams to be so from the loks of it and the size of the ps2. i then have to run wireing from the backk seats under everything to each of the headrest lcds i plan on installing very shortly. im guessing the audio cables can be run inder the center concole and tapped into the aux in there somehow then i have to find a power source for the ps2 and i sholud be rolling with one hot whip after that. anyways, im more of a crafts guy. the headrest and armrest fabrication should be done flawless, its the wiring im fearing. any tips or diy's? any help i can get would be greatly apreciated, im going to try and post a diy for the headrest slicing and dicing, ive never seen it done in an e90, theres not a lot of room to work with so i hope i dont end up with a lot of charges and no tv's. first i gotta figure out how to get the headrest off the damn seats haha.
well wish me luck , any input apreciated! thanks
joey
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
sorry for the delay. had a huge problem with the lcd supplier... long story short had holes in my head rests since original post, had to go to brooklyn to bust some heads and get my monitors... ill clean them up tomorrow and have pics by the weekend or early next week. came out nice i think
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

Wow. Keep us updated on the progress!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
arcrox
E90post addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
why not a ps3?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcrox
why not a ps3?
PROBABLY cause they're the size of an old betamax!! lol

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
the ps2 slim fits real nice.... besides i hear the ps3 has been catching fire. i didnt wanna put that behind a seat where it cant get air to cool down its just asking for it! here are the pics.

the install was reallllllllyyy simple... the wires are contained in the back basically... the monitors were somewhat difficult. i had to get someone to re pad the headrests to allow a 7 inch wide monitor and its housing. i had someone else do that because i was too scared. bmw offers replacement headrests but theyr 250 a piece. once the headrests were widdened and re upholstered with original leather (easily streched out) it was easy to install the lcd's theres plenty room for error when screwing the brackets in and running the wires. as for A/V and AC everything you need is under the center console. i tried hooking up the ps2 to some wires in the rear, but they shut off after 5 minutes of the car running i dunno why it was so weird... anyways theres a cigarett addaptor wire inside the center console and obviously the AUX cable can connect there too for the best sound. wires ran under the rug and seats straight to the ps2. only thing i did was pull the back plate out behind the armrest and cut a hole in it and secured the ps2 there. i added red velvet for looks and used wireless controlers so it can be completely hidden. the wireless works through the seat, which i was worried about from the start. so basically turn on the ps2 and flip the armrest up and with the tinted windows you have a comfortable and dark game/movie room.

all in all monitors off ebay 99 each, ps2 was like 150 and wires about 20.
your looking at less than a 400 job... i went the safe way and had a professtional do the headrests, i probably should have done them myself because they charged me 125 a headrest... wasnt worth it.

any questions im here...
hows it look?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
looks awesome man!!!
what type of monitors is it?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
pyle plvs7hm .... i got them from an ebaystore road entertainment.. great monitors for the price, but they try n pass off shitty ones before they give you the good stuff. i had 3 monitors with proken pixels/ buttons. i played the mailling game for weeks till i decided to pay them a visit
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

The PS2 and monitors look great! The M6 reps too.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2006, 12:45 AM   #10
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
ty! one project down, now i need something else to work on....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

That looks awesome

I know what my next mod is!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
yea. wish i had nav then i could have a tv up front too.... this was my first bmw. i wanted to test them out before i went crazy with it(i love it and will never drive another car, ever!) my lease is up in a year. im gonna get a fully loaded one. same color and swap everything out... now if i could only get rid of those ambers!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
smokin
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 Coupe

Garage List
2006 335d coupe  [0.00]
great work, great mod!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #14
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
I just got 2 of these Pyle monitors (http://cgi.ebay.de/PYLE-7-18-cm-AUTO...QcmdZViewItem), want to try install them in the headrest. I do not have leather but regular cloth on the headrest - any idea how difficult the install could be? I also measured the headrests and it seems to fit exactly well...
as I have a Business NAV, I need to hook up an external DVD player (or maybe not, maybe I can still use the dash DVD and connect the monitors to it???).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
ski360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Looks great, I'd love to see the DIY
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
DIY- slim ps2 mount behind rear center armrest(e90)

I was looking for the best location for a PS2 in the car that would be completely out of the way, i was thinking under the seat or in the glove, but the ps2 is huge compared to the interior spaces in the e90. i went out and bought at ps2 slim, it looked like it could be tucked perfectly behind the back center armrest.(the cars without the ski door option I guess)

I started out by removing the entire back seat... this was completely unnecessary because the back plate of the armrest is connected to the seat. After re-installing the seat I realized the plate could be pulled off starting from the top and working down to the bottom, once off I centered the ps2 in the back and used a pencil to trace around the unit allowing room on one side for a finger to fit in to access the power button. The cut was made with a dremel.

The inside plating was the flipped sideways and raised to the desired height using 2 pieces of plastic I melted to the back sides of the back plate then duct taped for extra hold.

Do not affix the ps2 to this until you are ready to install it back into the car because you are going to have to measure and re measure a few times and it will get in the way. The correct depth the ps2 sits is important because it will determine how far it sticks out or sits into the seat. Too far back and the back plate won’t fit in its place correctly and too far out wont allow the armrest to close, so proper fitting is a must. When fitting I pushed out the bottom portion like a mm forward which allows enough clearance for the memory cards.(not shown, but the mem card fits in front of the plate to allow access and the wireless controllers will be inaccessibly behind it )

If you take a look at the back I used Velcro strips to stick the IR parts of the wireless controllers to the back of the unit in a place they wont get in the way when replacing the back plate (I just found a good place for them as I went so I didn’t allow room when modifying the piece. To correct any space errors I just cut and shaved away some of the plastic suspension holding that duct taped piece up)

I fitted a red cloth in between the back plate and the raised part to sit the ps2 on. This hides all the ugly cutting and trimming we have done and highlights the ps2 with whatever color accent you want. I chose red because I have red roundels on my alpine white exterior; I just figured red would go best

Then using a razor blade I cut a hole in the cloths center to place a lot of Velcro in the center of the new back plate and then on the back of the ps2, I centered it and dropped it in. the Velcro holds it in nicely.

I checked all the connections and made sure the memory cards were able to slide in and out then waited for the monitors to get done…

I do not have pics for the monitors install or connections because I had to get the headrests re-foamed professionally in order to allow a 7” monitor and all the connections were made in their shop. I’m sure I could have done it myself, but I didn’t want to risk it, I worked step by step with the guy. From underneath the headrest he opened it up and pulled the leather off the headrest. Then basically he added a layer of foam all around it and worked the leather back on. As for the monitors an appropriate sized hole was cut in the leather and the foam was cleared away, there was a big plastic support piece inside the headrest to attach the housing of the monitors in (I messed up like 3 times when mounting the brackets, there’s a lot of room for error) the wire was easily run down the post of the headrest. Using a wire as a guide, they ran the cables up the back of the seat to meet at the headrest; the connection was made and secured with electrical tape. The wire was then tucked into the seat and headrest for minimal visibility.

Before putting the ps2 back plate in its location the power wire and AV cable were connected to the ps2 and ran under the seat. The back plate was then placed back in its original spot with a perfect fit and all wires connected and out of the way.

The remaining ends of the wires were connected and secured and ran under the carpets so they were completely hidden.

Sorry I didn’t have pics for this part of the DIY, but this was basically generic to any vehicle

End result is a completely hidden ps2, the wireless remotes really enhanced this feature, when your done with them, throw them in the trunk

02-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

joebaggg, really appreciate the pictures and DIY instruction this should be added to the DIY master list!
      02-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Looks good, nice DIY.

BTW, is your windshield tinted? If so, what %?

---------------------------
Edit: woo... 1,000 post. I officially spend too much time on here.
      02-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #19
thissnsooosucks
noob saibot
Rep
Drives: E90 jet black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
So how do you switch games? You just pull it out? btw, I don't like the red velvet. Nice lookin monitors though.
      02-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #20
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
35% tint, i need to go darker
      02-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissnsooosucks View Post
So how do you switch games? You just pull it out? btw, I don't like the red velvet. Nice lookin monitors though.

as far ar the red. i think it flows well, it can always be changed, but to what?
      02-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #22
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

black, it'll be nice and stealthy and blends in with the background
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaggg View Post

as far ar the red. i think it flows well, it can always be changed, but to what?