E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Carnauba vs Polymer Glazes

03-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Carnauba vs Polymer Glazes

I have been reading the Wash, Wax, Detailing and Exterior Repairs section for some time. I have a TiAg 325 and have been quite happy with the shine on my car using Mother's gold carnauba wax. However, I see that many use the Klasse AOI and SG polymer products.

Question 1: Disregarding the longevity of the polymer products, do the polymer products give a better shine than carnauba wax on a light(silver) E90?

Question 2: Do the polymer products protect the paint from contaminants better than carnauba wax?

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Polymer products usually provide better protection and for alonger period of time. With how they look its different, something you have to try yourself. Every product has a different look and carnuba and polymer products have completely different looks. Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

From my experiences, a carnuaba provides more depth and gives the paint a darker deeper look. A synthetic wax gives the car a more reflective appearance. Synthetic, in my opinion, looks best ona light colored car.

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

Detailing all my vehicles twice a year using these procedures:
1. perform clay bar treatment.
2. apply 1 coat of Klasse AIO.
3. apply 2 or more coats of Klasse HG.
4. apply P21S carnauba wax.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I use zaino and love it
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
blazersk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 330i jet black

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
I use zaino and love it

what zaino products do you use? i dont know which ones I should buy..money is not the matter..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

As far as the look, you will have to try different products to see what you like. If you are happy with the Mothers Gold you might just want to stick with that product. One thing I was wondering is whether you use the three step or just the wax. Mothers Carnauba Gold does not have any cleaners in it so you may want to use the step one or their cleaner wax every once in a while.

I personally like the look of Mothers Reflections. It is a synthetic with a look similar to carnauba. My car is also TiAG. I've used Mothers FX and Meguiars NXT but did not like them as much. However, I much prefer carnauba on my wife's hunter green Jeep.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazersk
what zaino products do you use? i dont know which ones I should buy..money is not the matter..
If you havn't checked out the Zaino website, do this first. Great write-ups on products and useage.

http://www.zaino.com

I'm using the clay bar (every few months at most), Z2, Z5 and Z6, in varying combinations based on how much effort I feel like putting in. I absolutely love the result, especially on a dark coloured car. I've also got the leather cleaner and leather conditioner... so basically, I'm a Zaino hoar
      03-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Carnauba vs synthetic wax

ga-bmwdrvr,

Thanks for the advise. I also have been looking into Mothers Reflection and FX Syn waxes. I figure that the Reflection wax followed by the Reflection Top Coat is the best for the silver BMW. I like the fact that they are easy to use and come off the car with little effort. I don't want to consider the Zaino products as this is too much work for me.

I also like the sound of the Klasse AIO/SG longevity. But from what I have read, the SG can be difficult to wipe off if the coat is too thick and can smear. I hate to give up on the Klasse twins if it is not too difficult. I live in the midwest and want to protect the paint for up to 4 months during the winter. We have alot of contaminates in the air.

My BMW is garaged every night so it is fairly protected from the elements for part of the day. Should I give the Klasse twins a try or stick with the Mothers products.
Thanks

wallyf
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Kind of funny you mention the Klasse twins, I've been thinking of ordering some myself but have been very happy with the Mothers products. I still may try it out since the AIO is such a good cleaner. Currently I am using Meguiars #9 as a cleaner/mild polish by PC. I have probably tried every decent OTC wax/sealer there is. Reflection & Top Coat is an excellent combination. Then you could touch up with FX Spray Wax every once in a while. It is used like a Quick Detailer (wipe on/wipe off) but leaves a coat of sealer.
Another option if you want to stay the carnauba route is to top off with Collinite IW. It is found at AdvAuto in the marine section. Lasts about 4-6 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Prior to discovering Klasse, I used to use Mothers carnauba waxes. My observation is that I can peform the Klasse 2 step process in less than half the time of the Mother's 3 step system. The Klasse 2 step system is amazingly easy to apply and remove and usually takes me less than an hour from start to finish.

Also the Mother's wax would only last about 2 months. Klasse typically lasts me 6-9 months.

As far as shine goes, Klasse actually gives me a better shine than Mothers. I have yet to use the more expensive carnauba waxes such as Zymol (not the stuff they sell in Pep Boys), P21S, etc for comparison, but Klasse seems to be the best choice for ease of use, shine, and longevity.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Klasse SG

CnoteMD,

Do you put the Klasse Sealant Glaze on over the Klasse AIO? This can take some more time. I read that it can be difficult to buff off and should dry to a haze before buffing ( about 1 hour).

I have decided to try the Mothers Reflection Car Wax followed by the Reflection Top Coat rather than the 3 step process. I purchased a PC and velcro pads to speed up the process. I will clay the car, use step 1 cleaner to polish out the minor swirls and finish with the two Reflections products. These products wipe off easily.

Thanks for your input. I sure would like to try the Klasse twins (AIO & SG) but don't want to spent over $35 and be disappointed with the SG product. I may give AIO a try with carnauba wax on top if I am disappointed with the Reflection products.

wallyf
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Its a two step process.
1. Apply AIO. I wipe it off almost immediately. I use a very small amount and when I finish each panel, I use a microfiber towel to wipe it off. AIO is amazingly easy to remove. After I have done this with all the panels, I go to step 2.

2. Apply SG. For this step you want to use a VERY small amount. I use just enough to see a faint residue on the body of the car. With this step, I will typically cover the entire car before I wipe. Whatever area I applied first, I will remove first. In general, this works out that it has had about 25-30 min to dry before I use another microfiber towel.

The first time I used SG, I thought it was a bit difficult to remove, but it was mainly because I used too much. When I used the correct amount, it was much easier to remove (slightly easier than carnauba wax).

I have had consistently good results with this combination and I have never had to leave anything to "cure" on my car for hours (or overnight). I have heard of some people using carnauba on top of the SG for an even deeper shine. Either way, be sure to use SG on top of the AIO to increase the durability (and shine).

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
MrsDash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i TiAg

I'm with CnoteMD. Before I took delivery, I thoroughly read this forum and went with the Klasse twins and have no regrets. It's easy to use and I reallly do like the results.